Stolbova and Klimov split / retirement | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Stolbova and Klimov split / retirement

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I have a professional translation of the Ksenia interview here! https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/vaytsekhovskayas-interview-with-stolbova.104386/

My heart broke reading this. She's been through so much this year and I just want her to be happy.

Ksenia's interview makes me sad. She admitted they had made a few mistakes but very grave ones like skipping 2015 Worlds as well as 2015/16 Nationals and Euros in the following season. They let their opportunities slip by while biggest competitors surged into the surface and started winning without their presence. They didn't have any championship title under their belts despite their abilities and potential.

madforskating

On the Ice
There's a lot of sweet lemons, sour grapes and woe is me in this interview.

Maybe if you weren’t allowed to compete in the Olympics, severely injured a few weeks later, and were faced with breaking up with your partner of nine years, you would be a little salty too...

madforskating

On the Ice
Ksenia's interview makes me sad. She admitted they had made a few mistakes but very grave ones like skipping 2015 Worlds as well as 2015/16 Nationals and Euros in the following season. They let their opportunities slip by while biggest competitors surged into the surface and started winning without their presence. They didn't have any championship title under their belts despite their abilities and potential.

I teared up several times reading her interview. Just too heartbreaking. I can’t even imagine...

pearly

Record Breaker
Maybe if you weren’t allowed to compete in the Olympics, severely injured a few weeks later, and were faced with breaking up with your partner of nine years, you would be a little salty too...

It's not a healthy way of dealing with it.

LadyB

Record Breaker
:sad46: I wish I could read Russian.

Sorry for my ignorance. I never know how many people have or haven't Google Chrome or Google translate. It is very long. Otherwise I would have copied the translation. Here the bullet points:

- Fedor will train an adult Russian Team
- Trankov possibly to continue with TM beyond this season
- Mozer wants change and says it's the new style Mozer Team with new coaches (Klimov/Trankov)
- She leaves Trankov in charge of TM, does not get involved unless he asks for advice.
- she speaks highly of Fedor and his coaching and academic abilities, wants to support him
- she still has to take it easy for health reasons
- she wishes Ksenia all the best and coaches that she gets on with.
It is what Nina Mozer says in the interview.

LadyB

Record Breaker
It's not a healthy way of dealing with it.

If everything, or even most of it, happened the way Ksu said it did, it might not be a healthy way of dealing with stuff, but a very understandable one when your life is falling apart and your greatest dream is being shattered.
In fact, she shows again her strong character by trying to crack on with her career. Best of luck to her!

pearly

Record Breaker
:sad46: I wish I could read Russian.

Regarding Stolbova all she says is this (copied Google translate and the second sentence makes little sense in English):

- Do you know that Xenia Stolbova trains with the French figure skater Andrei Novoselov?

- The theme of Xenia Stolbova has long been of interest to everyone, since when I in Kannin said that with them, the Olympic season will be the last in their career. I made a start from the words of the sportswoman. But it happened in the end. Now I do not want to say anything, I wish her luck and I hope she will be frank and honest with her new mentors.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Thanks Lady B! :thumbsup:

I did not know that Ksenia was also Xenia. I thought Ksenia was some new Russian name I'd never heard before but Xenia has been around for a while.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Thanks Lady B! :thumbsup:

I did not know that Ksenia was also Xenia. I thought Ksenia was some new Russian name I'd never heard before but Xenia has been around for a while.

I think the spelling Xenia is a Google-translate thing, that System often picks ‘phonetical’ translations and I’ve never seen it written like that in Russian texts.
The letter Х in Russian translates into KH western writing, which would pronounce the name ‘Chenia’.
Don’t know whether that is true, but I’ve read somewhere that Ksenia, like Zhenya, derives from Evgenia. Only that Ksenia is a modern version and a name in its own right, while Zhenya is always a short form (Tarasova, Medvedeva etc).
When I was watching sports as a kid 40 years ago, there were no Ksenias, but some Evgenias on the scene. I noticed that because I really love the name Ksenia.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I think the spelling Xenia is a Google-translate thing, that System often picks ‘phonetical’ translations and I’ve never seen it written like that in Russian texts.
The letter Х in Russian translates into KH western writing, which would pronounce the name ‘Chenia’.
Don’t know whether that is true, but I’ve read somewhere that Ksenia, like Zhenya, derives from Evgenia. Only that Ksenia is a modern version and a name in its own right, while Zhenya is always a short form (Tarasova, Medvedeva etc).
When I was watching sports as a kid 40 years ago, there were no Ksenias, but some Evgenias on the scene. I noticed that because I really love the name Ksenia.

Xenia is a name of Greek origin (of which origin are many other popular Russian names due to Orthodox Christianity). In fact, so is Eugenia but they are different names after all. Xenia means "hospitality", while Eugenia meant something to do with birth ("gen") but I can't remember what.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Xenia is a name of Greek origin (of which origin are many other popular Russian names due to Orthodox Christianity). In fact, so is Eugenia but they are different names after all. Xenia means "hospitality", while Eugenia meant something to do with birth ("gen") but I can't remember what.

I thought that anything beginning with an X reminded me of Greek words. How interesting. GS is not just fun, also educational! :agree:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
https://nameberry.com/babyname/Yevgeny
Yevgeny is the Russian variation of Eugene - Eugene is also of Greek origin and means "wellborn, noble". :) I really like those name meaning sites, so interesting and fun!

zounger

Medalist
I thought that anything beginning with an X reminded me of Greek words. How interesting. GS is not just fun, also educational! :agree:

Yes the X here corresponds to Greek letter Ξ, ξ. The root of the name is the word (ξένος, ksenos) which means the foreigner, outlander, stranger (and some other meanings in ancient Greek).

The name though is coming from the noun ξενία, ksenia (the accent goes to i) which as Lester mentioned means "hospitality". And actually the entire process, concept how to treat the stranger who comes to your home. That concept was sacred and was protected by Zeus himself and in those cases he was referring as Xenios Zeus.

jajoana

On the Ice
Sorry for my ignorance. I never know how many people have or haven't Google Chrome or Google translate. It is very long. Otherwise I would have copied the translation. Here the bullet points:

- Fedor will train an adult Russian Team
- Trankov possibly to continue with TM beyond this season
- Mozer wants change and says it's the new style Mozer Team with new coaches (Klimov/Trankov)
- She leaves Trankov in charge of TM, does not get involved unless he asks for advice.
- she speaks highly of Fedor and his coaching and academic abilities, wants to support him
- she still has to take it easy for health reasons
- she wishes Ksenia all the best and coaches that she gets on with.
It is what Nina Mozer says in the interview.
You are very generous to Nina Mozer.
The whole intervew is very controversial (I would say even odd and ridiculous, but try to be more or less correct and unbiased) . Sometimes I felt like Mozer and the journalist while chatting were drinking not tea, you know.:palmf:
She says, that doesn't want to coach, to take responcibilities and work hard every day. At the same time she says that she wants something new and fresh, wants to try a new project, that she watched juniors and could see one boy and one girl (in different pairs) who can be champions.
She says that TM are not interesting for her, they are an old project, at the same time she says that they should become world champions this year, just everyday hard work needed... and we have just learned it's not what she wants to do:laugh:
She says that she will create a new senior couple, and will consult them... as a coach. But their main coach is likely to be Klimov. Or may be she will just change her life completely and will not consult or coach anybody... Sorry, it's not me, i's what she says :confused:
By the way, she says that Fedor will become a great coach (she uses even word genius).
As for Ksenia, she says, that her words about end of career for Ksenia and Fedor were based on Ksenia words, and that's the way it happened later. Nina Mozer also said, that she didn't want to add anything else, just wish Ksenia god luck and to be frank and honest with her new coaches. oh, still some shade...:rolleye:
This week is insane. So many intervews :popcorn:
Ksenia, TAT, Nina Mozer... Who's next?

LadyB

Record Breaker
Having read your contribution a second time, I wonder whether it is actually you who is biased? Are you a Russian speaker or a you clinging on to Google translate?
You do realise that they somethimes use words that mean one thing in one language and something else in another. Example: when Danya called Trusova a b****, many GS folks naturally misunderstood that.

She says, that doesn't want to coach, to take responcibilities and work hard every day. At the same time she says that she wants something new and fresh, wants to try a new project, that she watched juniors and could see one boy and one girl (in different pairs) who can be champions.

She cannot take on the same coaching responsibilities as before anymore due to health reasons. That shouldn't stop her from taking on new projects and make a fresh start in a different capacity. No contradiction here.

She says that TM are not interesting for her, they are an old project, at the same time she says that they should become world champions this year, just everyday hard work needed... and we have just learned it's not what she wants to do:laugh:

I'm fairly sure she means that she's done her bit with them and now it's over to Trankov, as she cannot coach like before anymore. It's not that she doesn't want to work hard, but after two major operations and a recovery period that has just been extended again, she simply can't work as hard anymore. I'm totally sure that she still cares about TM (especially as they still consult her, according to Vovan), hence her suggestion that they might become world champions.

She says that she will create a new senior couple, and will consult them... as a coach. But their main coach is likely to be Klimov. Or may be she will just change her life completely and will not consult or coach anybody... Sorry, it's not me, i's what she says :confused:

She clearly claims that Fedor will at least be coaching one adult pair. Of course, she'll be around as a consultant or even helping with coaching as it is Fedor's first serious project. That would only be natural. Btw, she said ages ago that she would like to take on a consultant role and work with clubs across Russia to enable them to be a bit more independent from Moscow.

By the way, she says that Fedor will become a great coach (she uses even word genius).

I might be a bit biased in this case, but she often speaks very highly of Fedor, who has a reputation for being quite brainy. No surprises here.

As for Ksenia, she says, that her words about end of career for Ksenia and Fedor were based on Ksenia words, and that's the way it happened later. Nina Mozer also said, that she didn't want to add anything else, just wish Ksenia god luck and to be frank and honest with her new coaches. oh, still some shade...:rolleye:

Surprise, surprise. I think we can call it a fallout between the two when Mozer made an unauthorised press statement at Olys. Mozer also said in the past that she finds it hard to get a close connection with Ksu. Again, no surprises.

For the record: I take every interview with Nina Mozer or members of her team with a pinch of salt (including this one). Seeing is believing.

Yes, I am a Mozer Team fan. Yes, I love Fedor :love: and Ksenia :agree: to bits (until it would turn out that one of them is not as nice as I like to believe they are). Am I biased towards Nina Mozer in an interview? Certainly not, but the points you are highlighting do not show her contradicting herself or being ridiculous in any shape or form. Especially, when you actually follow Mozer Team for quite some time and read many interviews with them.

Whether she tells it as it is, that's another matter. Like I said, pinch of salt. :)

hanca

Record Breaker
LadyB, you are being unfair to Jajoana. She pretty much perfectly summarised what Mozer said. I would even say, she quite held back (was generous towards Moser), because the interview with Mozer was even worse (more controversial) than Jajoana described. For example, when she spoke about Trankov, she was describing him in words that could give impression that he is a bit unsure of what he is doing, whereas when she spoke about Klimov, the impression was that he is a brilliant coach who has achieved miracles. (One definitely could see from the interview who her golden boy is!)

When she spoke about T/M, she sounded very uninterested (she even admitted that she is not very interested in doing all the work), whereas when she spoke about this new pair (she refused to disclose their names), she really sounded emotionally involved. It is different to be interested and not be able to do the work (from health reasons or any other reasons) as you suggested, but she admitted that she is not interested in T/M!

The bottom line is, she is the coach of the past Olympics gold and silver medallists, so she can do whatever she wants to. If she decides she wants to coach complete beginners or even if she wanted to coach just one four year old kid, that’s her right to do. We all are making career choices throughout our lives. But I can’t see any reason why you are trying to put some ‘polish’ on her words, to make her sound better. No point doing that. She is not interested in T/M, that’s fine. It seems that the guys found someone who is interested in them.