2018-19 European Ladies' figure skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018-19 European Ladies' figure skating

typeyournamehere

Match Penalty
anybody else thinks that Kuzmenko was criminally underscored(at least in PCS) in Linz? i mean, 22 PCS for her short is a real robbery
Fluture, you should've reported that to the austrian police!

hanca

Record Breaker
I think it's more
Men: Japan+USA+Canada+China
Ladies: Japan+USA+Canada+South Korea
Podiums or top 5 of these last 3-4 seasons are made by these countries. There is even Kazhakstan who won in 2015.
Well, if we look into past few years like you do, we may find out that Russia also didn’t win everything at Europeans in the last few years.
Men - Spain, Russia, Israel, (a few years ago also Czech Republic)
Ladies - Russia, Italy,
Ice dance- France, Italy, Russia
Pairs - Russia, France, Germany

So how much is it different from 4CC? It is not that much different.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Finland's all about ice hockey. That takes cares of essentially all boys.

There also is the typical Finnish "loser attitude" issue with ladies' figure skating where they're just there to have fun and no one takes anything seriously nor is anyone expecting anyone to take it seriously. The skaters say that they never have clean practice run-throughs and it's considered a miracle to have a clean skate. Such a waste.

Are you saying that Finnish ladies don't have a competitive mind? I can't believe that after watching Team Marigold win worlds synchro 2018 :clap:

GO Emmi, Viveca, Sofia and all Finnish ladies!

ETA Interesting topics discussed that don't belong in this thread :eek:hwell:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
If guys in Finland all play hockey, then girls go for synchro these days equally eagerly. Which could explain partly why the pool of single skaters is so small.

As for the loser attitude, not so sure about that excatly, but I think it is more about self confidence (could they be the same?). Very few have have had that self confidence to really make it to the top. Laura Lepistö was the top European skater during her last season (even without 3Lz!) because she was a very good competitor, she had that something that you need to have to make it. Susanna Pöykiö did very well also. Kiira Korpi could not usually handle the pressure when she really would have needed to deliver and she has been talking about how hard it was for her after retiring from competetive skating. I fear that Emmi Peltonen - who is absolutely fantastic to watch except when you're being terrified for her jumps - might have that problem also. Which is a pity because she really could be amazing.

The synchro world is easier in the way that you don't have to deliever on your own, but it is still hard for those who are not up to the task (I have a colleague who got gold at junior worlds as a captain of a synchro team and the stories she tells... :eeking:)

E

NaVi

Medalist
Personally i don't quite understand how "cold" countries like Sweden, Norway, and even Finland haven't developed yet a pool of skaters and infrastructures to make this happen.

They don't have financial issues, they are cold countries so people there should be more interested on winter sports,... Yes there were some skater coming from Finland or Sweden but still they are like Carolina, one in 10-20 years with no following.

Finland does ok for their size... but Italy have a bigger following in general in the more artsy sports... like rhythmic gymnastics.

Every European country should be able to develop at least one ladies skater capable of scoring over 160.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Are you saying that Finnish ladies don't have a competitive mind? I can't believe that after watching Team Marigold win worlds synchro 2018 :clap:

GO Emmi, Viveca, Sofia and all Finnish ladies!

ETA Interesting topics discussed that don't belong in this thread :eek:hwell:
Alright, perhaps a bigger part of it is the Finnish "a part of the grey mass and not standing out" ideal. Where you want to be a good team player(in hockey etc.) and I assume that's also good for synchro and not so good for an individual sport like singles skating. There's also the thing that Finland's not been all about concentrating hard on talented individuals and maximizing their potential but rather on ensuring everyone has fun and develops and no one's left out to feel bad etc. which also is very bad for creating successful singles skaters.

Fluture

Record Breaker
anybody else thinks that Kuzmenko was criminally underscored(at least in PCS) in Linz? i mean, 22 PCS for her short is a real robbery

It was close, I almost did! :laugh: I doubt they‘d know what I‘m talking about, though. Most people I told where I was going to this weekend they were like: “What? There‘s an event in Linz? Figure skating? Oh? Really?“ :shrug:

But she really was underscored. In fact, I think she has much more presence than the Japanese girl. But she‘s better at jumps than Anna.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Well, if we look into past few years like you do, we may find out that Russia also didn’t win everything at Europeans in the last few years.
Men - Spain, Russia, Israel, (a few years ago also Czech Republic)
Ladies - Russia, Italy,
Ice dance- France, Italy, Russia
Pairs - Russia, France, Germany

So how much is it different from 4CC? It is not that much different.

Huh? Just wanted to point some things you said. Like that all top girls of four continents come from Japan. If we have to create the same thread for 4CC girls we would have to exclude not only one but 4 countries

typeyournamehere

Match Penalty
It was close, I almost did! :laugh: I doubt they‘d know what I‘m talking about, though. Most people I told where I was going to this weekend they were like: “What? There‘s an event in Linz? Figure skating? Oh? Really?“ :shrug:

But she really was underscored. In fact, I think she has much more presence than the Japanese girl. But she‘s better at jumps than Anna.

yeah her jumps are very low... in fact since i dont follow domestic russian junior competitions(i prefer to see them first internationally), i was very surprised to see that.. i thought Tarusina has low jumps, but Kuzmenko is almost at the level of Miyahara, therefore many mistakes.. she has quite good skating skills, lovely presentation (i really enjoyed watching her), but her jumps destroy everything...

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

I think many people are not used to see a Russian (who skates for France) get so low PCS.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Do you believe that 22 PCS for the short and 48 PCS for the free was appropriate?

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
May I ask why? I thought her skating skills were great, her transitions difficult and executed well, and her performance level was very high and engaging.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
May I ask why? I thought her skating skills were great, her transitions difficult and executed well, and her performance level was very high and engaging.

I don't think her SS were great. Good maybe but not great. Pretty laboured to get speed.
She's charming but her performance level was fine, not that high . Interpretation can be better in the FS. Her CO were OK. She's at the same level than Hongyi Chen IMHO.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Finland does ok for their size... but Italy have a bigger following in general in the more artsy sports... like rhythmic gymnastics.

Every European country should be able to develop at least one ladies skater capable of scoring over 160.

I'm always amazed how talents such as Carolina or Cappellini/Lanotte have been to reach that level here in Italy. There is not really a culture about FS, media don't promote the sport enough, and facilities are only in few regions in the northern part of the country.

If we manage to host 2026 Winter Olympics, that should help pushing the sport.

lavoix

Match Penalty
Anna Kuzmenko was a welcome surprise, I hope she will at least provide some competition in future for the athletes competing under the Russian flag.

Is there no up and coming talent from another European country?? There was a Hungarian that looked promising, but she looked bad at the Olympics.

Weathergal

Medalist
Anna Kuzmenko was a welcome surprise, I hope she will at least provide some competition in future for the athletes competing under the Russian flag.

Is there no up and coming talent from another European country?? There was a Hungarian that looked promising, but she looked bad at the Olympics.

You mean Ivett Toth? She looked promising in 2016-2017 season, but she struggled last season.

IMHO the most promising non-Russian European Senior Ladies skater is Loena Hendrickx. I'm hoping for good things for her this season.

lavoix

Match Penalty
You mean Ivett Toth? She looked promising in 2016-2017 season, but she struggled last season.

IMHO the most promising non-Russian European Senior Ladies skater is Leona Hendrickx. I'm hoping for good things for her this season.

Who is Leona's coach? I do remember this skater, hopefully some more prestigious coaches/choreographers can work with her.