Virtue/Moir - 2020 Montreal? | Golden Skate

Virtue/Moir - 2020 Montreal?

russell30

Final Flight
Hi Guys,

Was wondering about Tessa and Scott??, they have not made any official announcement on there amateur career, although hugely in demand at the moment being current Olympic Champs! with endless opportunities, do you think they might make another comeback for 2020 Worlds in Canada!!

With 3 world titles they might seem to think why put them through all that pressure! and training BUT they are very competitive and only P/C are on there level...so why not!

Be great for us fans and a perfect goodbye for Tessa and Scott to win in Canada! and go out with a bang.

macy

Record Breaker
being that they're them, i absolutely wouldn't rule out a comeback for the sole reason that they can. but if it were me, i'd be beyond tired at this point and peace out.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Maybe they are waiting for the end of the Thank You Canada Tour. That would be a good moment for announcing retirement too.
But who knows, maybe they’ll have another comeback in the future. I would love it!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Big fan of them but I think winning team gold with their long time friends and individual gold on their own terms, with music that they believed they can make a masterpiece out of, was the perfect way for them to mark 20 years of their partnership. They are going to be skating in the Thank You Canada Tour. They have won everything that there is to win. I highly doubt they are coming back but they are keeping that option open. We may see Tessa and Scott involved in other ways for 2020 Worlds, like in media or as ambassadors.

IlVoloFan

Final Flight
Country
Turkey
This is my only wish for figure skating. I really hope they won’t announce their retirement soon and by next season they can compete again maybe who knows

IlVoloFan

Final Flight
Country
Turkey
I’m their big fan and this is my only wish for figure skating. I really hope they won’t announce their retirement soon and by next season they can compete again maybe who knows

StephenGfan

Final Flight
I think they will return for the 2019-2020 season but will skip the Grand Prix series and just do worlds and nationals. Then retire. I can't think of a better way to have your last competitive performance than on home soil. I think V/M would agree.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I can't see how they could possibly top what they've already done!

Precisely! They're the most decorated figure skaters of all time (for now). They will be remembered as one of the greatest teams.

I think they will return for the 2019-2020 season but will skip the Grand Prix series and just do worlds and nationals. Then retire. I can't think of a better way to have your last competitive performance than on home soil. I think V/M would agree.

This would be interesting... But wouldn't that still seem like a low point compared to the Olympics?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I can't think of a better way to have your last competitive performance than on home soil.
Winning two gold medals at the Olympics would seem like a better way, to me.

It was fairly obvious last season that the judges favour Papadakis and Cizeron at this point (and I'm not looking to start up that debate as to which should win a battle of clean skates, it's just evident from the scoring that that's the way the opinion was trending). Virtue and Moir pulled off the win anyway. I don't see what they'd gain by coming back for a contest they'd probably lose, barring errors from the other side. Performing at home is nice, but they can do that all they want, and a great part of the reason they came back in the first place with dissatisfaction with how Sochi went and not wanting that to be the last word. This time they wrote the perfect ending.

StephenGfan

Final Flight
Their not one of the best they ARE the best of all time. no one @ me. call me when any other team has had an iconic viral stand o performance at the Olympics AND two Olympic golds 8 years apart AND the youngest to do so on their olympic debut.

believed

On the Ice
Winning two gold medals at the Olympics would seem like a better way, to me.

It was fairly obvious last season that the judges favour Papadakis and Cizeron at this point (and I'm not looking to start up that debate as to which should win a battle of clean skates, it's just evident from the scoring that that's the way the opinion was trending). Virtue and Moir pulled off the win anyway. I don't see what they'd gain by coming back for a contest they'd probably lose, barring errors from the other side. Performing at home is nice, but they can do that all they want, and a great part of the reason they came back in the first place with dissatisfaction with how Sochi went and not wanting that to be the last word. This time they wrote the perfect ending.

Especially because, when you approach it from a Canadian angle, they have a lot to go off even without winning at home — flag bearers & team gold seemed to perfectly encapsulate their Team Canada heights in Pyeongchang.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Love them but I don't think I'd risk it.

I think P/C will just continue to dominate and do they really want to come back and lose in Canada like they did in 2013?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'm in two minds on this. On the one hand it would be great to see such a good team back in competition (although I'm not a fan of theirs, a bit of rivalry spurs all participants to greater heights, which is good for the sport), on the other I would like to see other Canadian teams getting the chance to arise on the international scene. Of course Weaver/Poje have had quite a few successes there, but only when V/M weren't present. As if only the presence of V/M keeps the others down. I'm not rooting for Canadian teams in particular (in fact I'm a great fan of P/C, S/S and C/L), but I do like it when in my view good dancing teams manage to come out from under great champions - and admittedly I love G/P and would love to see them having some successes the coming quad. I just have the feeling that if V/M come back (again), this will inhibit others, and specifically their countrymen. That's why I was actually pleased D/W did not return (and I was a big fan of theirs), so other couples were able to shine. I realise it's a bit hypocritical as I definitely would like Aljona and Bruno to return.....

nocturnalis

Medalist
Scott was on a podcast last month, and it seemed like he wants to retire from competition and show skating so that he can raise a family. He has recognized that he can't have a relationship while skating with Tessa, so he wants to have a family. Although I would love to see him compete, he has a right to live his life.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice

Exactly. And P/C are only getting better at this time in their career, and being almost a decade younger than V/M gives them a huge advantage of speed/energy. I agree that it was the perfect ending - no need to mess with perfection!

Scott was on a podcast last month, and it seemed like he wants to retire from competition and show skating so that he can raise a family. He has recognized that he can't have a relationship while skating with Tessa, so he wants to have a family. Although I would love to see him compete, he has a right to live his life.

I think I listened to that same podcast, and I seem to remember an additional interview where he "accidentally" slipped out that they were retiring. Times are a'changing. So many of us will miss them, but they definitely both deserve to rest on their laurels and start moving into their post-Olympic lives. :)sad4: but also :hap10:)

GF2445

Record Breaker
I want them to award the ice dance medals at the victory ceremony...and give a speech.
Or be like the ambassadors of the event.

Roast Toast

Medalist
I think if Tessa and Scott were planning a potential comeback they would have discussed it with Marie-France and Patrice, so that they'd know not to take on too many more teams. Right now I think their spots are filled, so your best bet is watching who comes and goes at Gadbois and try to spot a potential empty slot in the future.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not sure whatever one's perspective is here. Are they trying to goad Virtue and Moir to lose to the French? Do they truly just want to see them skate competitively. Are they disenchanted with the current ice dancers While I love their skating; I personally feel it it is time to call it a day and end it on top. It woud be ahuge risk and i rather doubt helpful marketing wise to come back and win a World silver medal in Montreal. I also think it is time to pass on the crown in Canada to Weapo or G and P. Weapoo are a solid ice dance team and now twice missed on an olympic team medal, just missed Vancouver olympics and constantly have just missed the podium or gold by a smidge. People can watch V and M in shows. I would hate to see them lose at worlds in Montreal. What a way to go win OGM. Besides it is kind of clear the judges really like and favor the French. Forget Gabby's wardrobe malfunction problem at the olympics she is a weaker skater and yet they hold them up. And lest we forget the French clearl lack verrsatility though I think even getting away from a lyrical fs they will win now with such a huge gap over the rest. Really with V and m gone, Oly bronze medallist Shibs on leave, Weapo not doing GP the French are so highly regarded and are almost unbeatable. Despite a somewhat shakey or cautious short dance at the Olympics the judges held them up and had no problems giving them almost outrageous marks at worlds. V and M can see the writing on the wall; they should be very smart and thankful or OGM. Time for them to put on some of Tessa's Nivea cold cream and call it a night.

Last edited by a moderator: