Virtue/Moir - 2020 Montreal? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Virtue/Moir - 2020 Montreal?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Let's just say I would be beyond very surprised to see them come back again. They left as the most decorated ice dancers in Olympic history, so why tarnish that legacy?

Really I think a far safer bet is to say you're more likely to see them on YouTube than at a competitive ice dance event in the future.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Their not one of the best they ARE the best of all time. no one @ me. call me when any other team has had an iconic viral stand o performance at the Olympics AND two Olympic golds 8 years apart AND the youngest to do so on their olympic debut.

This still doesn't make them the best :DD Only a team with significant achievements.

I don't see what they have to gain from appearing at another World Championships at this point. W/P are more likely to aim for this.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I am not sure whatever one's perspective is here. Are they trying to goad Virtue and Moir to lose to the French? Do they truly just want to see them skate competitively. Are they disenchanted with the current ice dancers While I love their skating; I personally feel it it is time to call it a day and end it on top. It woud be ahuge risk and i rather doubt helpful marketing wise to come back and win a World silver medal in Montreal. I also think it is time to pass on the crown in Canada to Weapo or G and P. Weapoo are a solid ice dance team and now twice missed on an olympic team medal, just missed Vancouver olympics and constantly have just missed the podium or gold by a smidge. People can watch V and M in shows. I would hate to see them lose at worlds in Montreal. What a way to go win OGM. Besides it is kind of clear the judges really like and favor the French. Forget Gabby's wardrobe malfunction problem at the olympics she is a weaker skater and yet they hold them up. And lest we forget the French clearl lack verrsatility though I think even getting away from a lyrical fs they will win now with such a huge gap over the rest. Really with V and m gone, Oly bronze medallist Shibs on leave, Weapo not doing GP the French are so highly regarded and are almost unbeatable. Despite a somewhat shakey or cautious short dance at the Olympics the judges held them up and had no problems giving them almost outrageous marks at worlds. V and M can see the writing on the wall; they should be very smart and thankful or OGM. Time for them to put on some of Tessa's Nivea cold cream and call it a night.

The way the world turns...I don't agree that P/C were held up, just that the judges tried to be fair in a situation which was awful. That the French are almost unbeatable now, is a question. New rules, etc. I would love them to win, but I would also love G/P get a medal. Which they probably won't if W/M come back. Different perspectives or not, I am not rooting for them to come back...and it's not because I'm not Canadian. I'd love to see other Canadians shine (they do have good Ice Dance teams, no question). But I don't think the French are the issue - though I would love to see them make a record in the number of World titles. And...if W/P really come back (of which I'm not sure for now), just Yay! I love that couple.

Persimmons

Rinkside
What I'm looking to see is if they show up to Montreal 2020 in a non-skating capacity. Because if they do, I'll look forward to them being active in Skate Canada, doing some commentary, really encouraging the younger teams along, or passing on their legacy more directly. If not, it'll be a sign that they're really ready to move on past skating and leave this behind. Obviously I hope for the former, but we've seen so many skaters do the latter...

Or maybe they'll show up and psyche all 437 teams training in Montreal out. :dev2:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
let's not forget that VM skated at home worlds....in their home town in 2013.... so i don't think Worlds in Montreal is sounding so attractive to them

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
It's kind of hard to predict someone's future. Patrick Chan wanted to go out as a 10 time Canadian National Champion and did. Whether this is a goal for the wonderful Tessa and Scott is unknown. They will write their history going forward. They already made history!

Emilia12

Rinkside
And...if W/P really come back (of which I'm not sure for now), just Yay! I love that couple.

Come back from where? They never said they are taking a break, they will be doing senior B competition in September, they just skipping the GP series and that's it.

LazarusPitHotTub

Rinkside
I think GPF17 was a huge precursor to retirement. If you can continue to skate and be justly rewarded for what you put out there then it’s much of an incentive to want to continue... but the fact is that the writing was already on the wall that the judges for some bizarre reason wanted PC to beat a top dog VM and be seen as ‘the next champions’ and so when they crumbled because they aren’t VM and they aren’t ‘the next champions’, they were bolstered even further when it came to worlds to maintain that aura. I read somewhere that their worlds free dance score was like 99.something% of the way to perfect. Ummmm WHAT. Anyways, moving on to make my actual point.

Ultimately, VM skate for themselves, but it is a competition and if the judging is looking like it’s moving to put you out of full and proper competition contention to the best of your ability (and the best of their ability really is first) then you should probably get ahead of the tide and yeet out of there whilst you are still getting medals. Unfortunate really when they have been the best for the last ten years and still are.

They’ve had a long and illustrious career and although I would love for them to continue more than a lot of things in this world, VM have always had to fight a lot more in comparison for the marks they deserve to be first *particularly looking at the Olympics* and I’d be really tired of that if I were them.

So, to summarise, what I’m saying is that: they could go, if so they would (marring any tragic errors) be the best, but they wouldn’t be rewarded for it and they know it. Ending things here they go out as Olympic champions instead of what the ISU would ensure would be a silver at home.

So, to summarise, what I’m saying is that: they could go, if so they would (marring any tragic errors) be the best, but they wouldn’t be rewarded for it and they know it.

Oh, I don't think so. People said the same thing about the Olympics, even after the short program -- that those rascally judges would find a way to give the gold medal to their new pets, P&C, anyway.

Instead, V&M skated the best oveall, counting both segments, and won. No controversy or conspiracy theories needed.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
the fact is that the writing was already on the wall that the judges for some bizarre reason wanted PC to beat a top dog VM and be seen as ‘the next champions’ and so when they crumbled because they aren’t VM and they aren’t ‘the next champions’, they were bolstered even further when it came to worlds to maintain that aura.

If figure skating is a subjective sport then Ice Dance is the Camera Obscura of the disapline. I think it’s pretty unfair to say that the only way Papadakis & Cizeron could ever have beaten then is through fraud.

I agree with Mathman:

Instead, V&M skated the best oveall, counting both segments, and won. No controversy or conspiracy theories needed.

Papadakis & Cizeron have a very different style from Virtue & Moir and it is a style that some categorically prefer but that won’t erase the fact that Virtue & Moir have brought more attention to the sport that any skater since Michelle Kwan. If they want to keep competing I’d be surprised but excited!

Danibellerika

Medalist
If figure skating is a subjective sport then Ice Dance is the Camera Obscura of the disapline. I think it’s pretty unfair to say that the only way Papadakis & Cizeron could ever have beaten then is through fraud.

I agree with Mathman:

Papadakis & Cizeron have a very different style from Virtue & Moir and it is a style that some categorically prefer but that won’t erase the fact that Virtue & Moir have brought more attention to the sport that any skater since Michelle Kwan. If they want to keep competing I’d be surprised but excited!

Yuzuru, Yuna, Mao...

narcissa

Record Breaker
Well at least that’s the case in my little part of the world, but we always liked Ice Dance the best despite having two male back to back gold medalists.

Oh weird. Well I can tell you that I talk about figure skating a lot with my non-FS fan friends (perhaps to their chagrin). If anyone they've heard of Yuna, then Yuzuru. The only people I know who've heard of V&M are people who already know at least half a dozen current singles skaters. Otherwise if they're American then the order is 1. Michelle Kwan 2. Yuna 3. Yuzuru 4. Mao. Half the time they don't know the names but they know "that Korean skater" and "that Japanese male skater" and "the girl who does 3As" etc. Actually right now they seem to know Mirai Nagasu; I've heard a couple people refer to her as "the cool Asian-American skater from SoCal" but most people don't remember the names.

But I'm sure if they're from Asia then the order is different. Currently, almost all Chinese/Taiwanese (nationals) I know have heard of Yuzuru ahead of Kwan or Yuna (he's REALLY famous there nowadays among young non-FS crowds as a general celebrity) even my 15 year old cousin from Taiwan said that Yuzuru's experience with the 2011 earthquake/tsunami was a reading passage in one of their school textbooks :)

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
In the UK it goes: 1. Torvill & Dean ........ 2.Virture & Moir 3. Everyone else.

For the over 40s add John Curry at number 2. During the Olympics Virtue and Moir got almost as much press as our own skaters. Plus the “are they aren’t they” gossip surrounding them adds to their fame.

my 15 year old cousin from Taiwan said that Yuzuru's experience with the 2011 earthquake/tsunami was a reading passage in one of their school textbooks :)

Aw that’s sweet.

icetigger

On the Ice
In the UK it goes: 1. Torvill & Dean ........ 2.Virture & Moir 3. Everyone else.

For the over 40s add John Curry at number 2. During the Olympics Virtue and Moir got almost as much press as our own skaters. Plus the “are they aren’t they” gossip surrounding them adds to their fame.

Aw that’s sweet.

Oh please.......

Matt K

On the Ice
I am not sure whatever one's perspective is here. Are they trying to goad Virtue and Moir to lose to the French? Do they truly just want to see them skate competitively. Are they disenchanted with the current ice dancers While I love their skating; I personally feel it it is time to call it a day and end it on top. It woud be ahuge risk and i rather doubt helpful marketing wise to come back and win a World silver medal in Montreal. I also think it is time to pass on the crown in Canada to Weapo or G and P. Weapoo are a solid ice dance team and now twice missed on an olympic team medal, just missed Vancouver olympics and constantly have just missed the podium or gold by a smidge. People can watch V and M in shows. I would hate to see them lose at worlds in Montreal. What a way to go win OGM. Besides it is kind of clear the judges really like and favor the French. Forget Gabby's wardrobe malfunction problem at the olympics she is a weaker skater and yet they hold them up. And lest we forget the French clearl lack verrsatility though I think even getting away from a lyrical fs they will win now with such a huge gap over the rest. Really with V and m gone, Oly bronze medallist Shibs on leave, Weapo not doing GP the French are so highly regarded and are almost unbeatable. Despite a somewhat shakey or cautious short dance at the Olympics the judges held them up and had no problems giving them almost outrageous marks at worlds. V and M can see the writing on the wall; they should be very smart and thankful or OGM. Time for them to put on some of Tessa's Nivea cold cream and call it a night.

So agree. The judges will try to mark V/M as low as possible because they didn't do enough to stop them from winning gold in 2018. V/M skated so well that the judges just could not deny them Olympic gold again. This time, if V/M were to return to competition, some judges (the usual suspects) will be putting them in 10th place to send a message.

Some of the judges I am thinking are livid at V/M's Olympic gold and will know now to mark them down when they return. I, for one, am glad that V/M found their redemption in 2018 after the whole Igor/Marina (mostly Zoueva) fiasco of 2014.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Seeing some of the senior RDs today, makes me nostalgic of V/M. I'm sure they would have slayed with the Tango Romantica.

So agree. The judges will try to mark V/M as low as possible because they didn't do enough to stop them from winning gold in 2018.

What more would Virtue and Moir have to accomplish in order for their fans finally to be at peace?