Women's Artistic Gymnastics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Women's Artistic Gymnastics

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
Biles is a force of nature. :yes:

I just saw some of Aliya's podium training. She is back in business with her elegance (and a newborn kid). I can't remember anyone of her elite level to make a comeback after pregnancy and still be relatively good and competitive. She is my always problematic favorite.

If Aliya won't get any medal - this World's is officially canceled. I'm sorry but I don't make the rules. :furious: :biggrin:

Oksana Chusovitina says hi! She won more World medals after having a kid than before actually. Not to mention her only individual Olympic medal.

And of course the gymnastics legend that is Larisa Latynina. She even a World AA title while four months pregnant, and tons of European, World and Olympic titles after having a child. Different times of course, but still very impressive.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Oksana Chusovitina says hi! She won more World medals after having a kid than before actually. Not to mention her only individual Olympic medal.

And of course the gymnastics legend that is Larisa Latynina. She even a World AA title while four months pregnant, and tons of European, World and Olympic titles after having a child. Different times of course, but still very impressive.

Yes! Oksana Chusovitina. Larisa Latynina as well. She competed with pregnancy and returned to training and competing after giving birth. I can't remember anyone else.

Chusovitina has a son who is older than most of her current rivalry in teenage gymnastics crop of today. :)

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
US looked strong. Biles had a stellar day. The whole team had a really good day. Just couple mistakes. Not everybody hit everything. Nevertheless, comfortable 12 points lead so far. China and Russia will get probably closer. But still won't any closer than 5 points even if they hit 12 out of 12. Amazing depth of American gymnastics. Pretty much like Russian FS ladies at the moment.

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
US looked strong. Biles had a stellar day. The whole team had a really good day. Just couple mistakes. Not everybody hit everything. Nevertheless, comfortable 12 points lead so far. China and Russia will get probably closer. But still won't any closer than 5 points even if they hit 12 out of 12. Amazing depth of American gymnastics. Pretty much like Russian FS ladies at the moment.

I'm very curious to see how France will do tomorrow. I think they could place really well. If any of the top nations falter (and China and Russia borth aren't known for their consistency), they are my wildcard for a surprise bronze (similar to GB in 2015).

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yeah, Russia can have a meltdown tomorrow. Easily. But it's only classification. I think they got it. Chinese, Russians, French girls will soldier it out. :D They have to. All what they need top-8 to get the team in the finals. Its just the individual top-8 rankings on their specialty apparatus what some of them need to focus on.

French girls have a good chance for sure. That nice girl from France - Melanie de Jesus Dos Santos - has a good chance to get into few finals. She "just" need to hit tomorrow. She is not known to be a headcase, iirc. She hits - I'm sure other French girls will follow her leading example. France will got it.

Curious to see Brazilian girls. They looked good. Interesting to check out what legendary coach Liukin was able to transform them. I think with Liukin they have a strong chance to make TF. BTW, Russians and Brazilians are hanging out at the same training facility at Doha now.

It's the Russian ladies who can become a hot mess any given moment. But even then they still will qualify for TF. Sometimes I feel like they all need some kind of Eteri-figure in their sport lives. [emoji3]

Young crop of Chinese girls are exceptionally strong this time. But they are very inexperienced. Can be a factor tomorrow.

WilI see.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't know how serious her kidney stone thing is, because every case is very different and individual with this, but Biles still has the jokes. She called her kidney stone "Doha Pearl".

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope this would be helpful:

2018 Artistic World Championships
Oct. 25-Nov. 3, 2018

Oct. 29 / Men's Team Final / Olympic Channel / 9-11 a.m. ET (live)
Oct. 30 / Women's Team Final / Olympic Channel / 9-10:30 a.m. ET (live)
Oct. 31 / Men's All-Around Final / Olympic Channel / 9-11 a.m. ET -(live)
Nov. 1 / Women's All-Around Final / Olympic Channel / 9-10:30 a.m. ET (live)
Nov. 1 / Women's All-Around Final / NBCSN / 8-10 p.m. ET (delayed)
Nov. 2 / Event Finals / Olympic Channel / 9 a.m.-12 p.m. ET (live)
Nov. 2 / Event Finals / NBCSN / 10 p.m.-12 a.m. ET (delayed)
Nov. 3 / Event Finals / Olympic Channel / 9 a.m.-12 p.m. ET (live)
Nov. 3 / Event Finals / NBCSN / 10 p.m.-12 a.m. ET -(delayed)
Nov. 4 / Gymnastics Coverage / NBC / 3-6 p.m. ET (delayed)

That is SUPER helpful! Thanks!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Oksana Chusovitina is a BEAST. She won at least one gold in the FIG Gymnastics World Challenge this year, not sure I have seen them all because my DVR refuses to accept my series recording on it.

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
I checked the FIG profiles of the best girls and was surprised how "small" they are.

Simone Biles: 145 cm / 4' 9''
Morgan Hurd: 137 cm / 4' 6''

Our Elisabeth Seitz (she has an uneven bars element named after her) is a little taller: 161 cm / 5' 3''

Gymnasts actually have gotten a bit taller in recent years, though they are still tiny of course. Biles and Hurd are definitely on the tiny side, though Hurd is actually taller than Biles in pictures (see here: https://usagym.org/images/post_images/10806.jpg), so these numbers aren't always correct anyway.

Taller gymnasts are e.g. Nina Derwael (1.68m) or Sophie Scheder (1.67). Kyla Ross (World and Olympic champion), who's now doing NCAA must be at least as tall as these two as well. In elite gymnastics one problem for very tall gymnasts are the uneven bars, because while the distance between the bars can be widened to how each gymnasts likes it, there's a rule how far they are allowed to be widened. In NCAA they can be further apart than in Elite, so it's easier for taller gymnasts in college.

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
Oksana Chusovitina is a BEAST. She won at least one gold in the FIG Gymnastics World Challenge this year, not sure I have seen them all because my DVR refuses to accept my series recording on it.

She also won a silver on vault at the Asian Games a few months ago. Currently she's qualified for the vault final at Worlds in 5th place. A medal will be very hard this time around, but she's always impressive.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States

And she is into finals. Easy peasy.

Flash interview a day ago:
- Oksana, what is your secret of such long career? 43 years.
- I just have fun *drops the mic*

And yesterday she said Simone Biles "is a phenomenon who is born once in 100 years.” Well,... I trust Chuso here, she's been around all this time! :)

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm very curious to see how France will do tomorrow. I think they could place really well. If any of the top nations falter (and China and Russia borth aren't known for their consistency), they are my wildcard for a surprise bronze (similar to GB in 2015).

France got in. So did Brazilians. Its good to see how geography of gymnastics is expanding. Olympics in Brazil and few medals for home team helped gymnastics popularity to gain momentum in Brazil. GB having problems this year. Japan is very eye candy this year. Russia had few mistakes, but not more than any other team. Vault was a disaster. They not going to have anyone in vault individual final. Its been like never. When was the list time this happen? 10 years, I bet. China did a bit more mistakes. Germany is solid, they made finals.

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
France got in. So did Brazilians. Its good to see how geography of gymnastics is expanding. Olympics in Brazil and few medals for home team helped gymnastics popularity to gain momentum in Brazil. GB having problems this year. Japan is very eye candy this year. Russia had few mistakes, but not more than any other team. Vault was a disaster. They not going to have anyone in vault individual final. Its been like never. When was the list time this happen? 10 years, I bet. China did a bit more mistakes. Germany is solid, they made finals.

Gymnastics has been popular in Brazil since way before the Rio Olympics. Daiane Dos Santos really started it all with her World title on floor back in 2003, and then the AA success with Jade Barbosa at Worlds 2007 (she did the Amanar on vault waaaay before it was cool and all the Americans had it). Then there are of course the two Hypolitos. Andrade and Saraiva are one of the most talented gymnasts from Brazil for sure, though.

I wouldn't call Russia's vault a disaster. They still had the 4th or 5th highest vault total after all. And it was just qualis, it's not like they Kramarenko'ed it in finals (yet :biggrin:). Btw, 2013 was the last time they had no vault finalist, not that long ago. I find it more shocking they qualified only Mustafina into bars finals. But bars scoring was so strict today. Andrade was robbed, too.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
China and Russia in men's TF tomorrow! PB is the place to watch them both. It is THE place to be. Fifth rotation of tomorrow's Team Final for them both is Parallel Bars. Both teams have the strongest PB gymnasts and most beautiful PB routines of the last decade. They gonna alternate and go at the same time. This gonna be epic. Gymnastics at it's finest. Be there or be square.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I wouldn't call Russia's vault a disaster. They still had the 4th or 5th highest vault total after all. And it was just qualis, it's not like they Kramarenko'ed it in finals (yet :biggrin:). Btw, 2013 was the last time they had no vault finalist, not that long ago. I find it more shocking they qualified only Mustafina into bars finals. But bars scoring was so strict today. Andrade was robbed, too.

I usually don't complain about scores. But I have a little feeling that yesterday E score was definitely a bit more generous overall. Today scoring were a bit stricter on E. Just imho.