Women's Artistic Gymnastics | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Women's Artistic Gymnastics

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
I usually don't complain about scores. But I have a little feeling that yesterday E score was definitely a bit more generous overall. Today scoring were a bit stricter on E. Just imho.

Yes, definitely feels like it. It's crazy because they use the same judges over both days of qualifications, but I guess they're all humans. In general I'm very happy with the event finals qualifiers, so it's fine. Liu Tingting even held onto that 8th spot on beam despite her huge mistake and I'm so glad because she's beyond gorgeous on beam. :love:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Gymnastics has been popular in Brazil since way before the Rio Olympics. Daiane Dos Santos really started it all with her World title on floor back in 2003, and then the AA success with Jade Barbosa at Worlds 2007 (she did the Amanar on vault waaaay before it was cool and all the Americans had it). Then there are of course the two Hypolitos. Andrade and Saraiva are one of the most talented gymnasts from Brazil for sure, though.

I heard from my Brazilian friends gymnastics is really picking up in popularity like never before in Brazil. My uncle is ex-Soviet gymnast, he coached a bit in US and few other countries. Few of his old friends are currently coaching in Brazil. Invasion of kids in Brazil's gyms.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes, definitely feels like it. It's crazy because they use the same judges over both days of qualifications, but I guess they're all humans. In general I'm very happy with the event finals qualifiers, so it's fine. Liu Tingting even held onto that 8th spot on beam despite her huge mistake and I'm so glad because she's beyond gorgeous on beam. :love:

Tingting is lovely. I dig her.

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
I heard from my Brazilian friends gymnastics is really picking up in popularity like never before in Brazil. My uncle is ex-Soviet gymnast, he coached a bit in US and few other countries. Few of his old friends are currently coaching in Brazil. Invasion of kids in Brazil's gyms.

That's awesome. The ex-Soviet coaches are really doing well in Brazil it seems, first Alexandrov, now Liukin (though I'm still not sure what exactly his role is with the Brazilian team).

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Andrade was robbed, too.

Just re-watched Andrade's UB 4 more times. Definitely was underscored. I hope someone will post a video from another angle soon. So gymnastics world can be officially outraged. She should have been qualified in.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Jonna Adlerteg Sweden 7th for uneven bars final :clap: First swedish woman in more than 60 years. She thinks there are things she can do better in the final!

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
Jonna Adlerteg Sweden 7th for uneven bars final :clap: First swedish woman in more than 60 years. She thinks there are things she can do better in the final!
Yes! It's so awesome to finally see her in a final at World Championships after her Euros success. I still remember her as a tiny little gymnast back at YOG 2010. And now here she is: still going strong after all these years and all the setbacks. She's great. [emoji4]

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Good for her! I love it when lesser-known powers make a mark in any sport.

Of note, a Mexican girl made it to vault finals. We don't see Mexican athletes in gymnastics finals every day!

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
Good for her! I love it when lesser-known powers make a mark in any sport.

Of note, a Mexican girl made it to vault finals. We don't see Mexican athletes in gymnastics finals every day!
She made the vault final already all the way back in 2011. Vault finals are generally great in terms of different countries qualifying. Very happy to see a South Korean gymnast make it this year, too.

macy

Record Breaker
Is Aliya only doing UB? I haven't been able to catch up on many women's qualifying performances yet but i noticed she didn't have a great score. Did she make some mistakes?

Also what happened to GB? I heard they narrowly missed team finals.

I'm hoping the alkass website has womens team finals on tomorrow live! so excited to watch.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not going to open a new thread to report on the men - I'll just cram it in here.

China won the team competition, although it was a nailbiter. Down to the last routine, and they just beat Russia by less than a tenth. Japan gets the bronze.

Team USA was 4th. They could have challenged for a medal - other teams opened the door - but didn't quite make it. Still, a very good effort.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
4 hours later I still dont know how I go on with my day after THE team final like this. Nerve-wrecking. I will write a bit about it later.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Is Aliya only doing UB? I haven't been able to catch up on many women's qualifying performances yet but i noticed she didn't have a great score. Did she make some mistakes?

No major mistakes. Just a little wobbly. She is doing the usual beautiful #AliyaThings. Def not in her prime and the difficulty is not there yet. But her E score is still high. And she is such a joy to watch. Although she was not really dominating in her prime years, but she is that kind of rare gymnast who is just naturally elegant in whatever she does. That is inborn. She has IT. It can't be taught or trained. Her mind thinks gymnastics on molecular level, she just gets it. She was away for few years, but now 1 kid & 1 divorce later she is back with us. World is a better place when Aliya is competing. It feels safer, sunnier and happier now. UB EF is her best shot to medal this year. I won't be surprised if she would get silver or bronze, but I won't be upset if she would not. We all just happy she is doing her gymnastics for us.

Tomorrow is TF. She is doing UB, BB and (spontaneously) FX. As far as I understand her team mate got slightly injured few days ago, so Aliya is stepping in and doing her old FX, she said she have not been training it for months and had no plans for FX. She said this old FX is the one she remembers the most, so she is taking one for a team.

btw, yep, she is single again. I hope she finds her better half. The god is a woman and her name is Aliya, she was trending in twitter this morning with a recent photo tag: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqsGw59W4AETgO-.jpg

Interspectator

Record Breaker
While watching the MAG Team Final last night... "Tanakaaaa!!" Shakes fist at screen "Why are you doing this again??!!" :palmf:
It was a nailbiter till the end.

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
Men's team finals are always so amazingly exciting. What a competition! The ladies today will be super boring as always, that is kinda frustrating...

That picture of Aliya :love: She's stunning!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Men's team finals are always so amazingly exciting. What a competition! The ladies today will be super boring as always, that is kinda frustrating...

But Team Japan has a chance to be on the podium for the first time in Forever? --That would be exciting.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States

WAG TF was a splatfest. :( Such a buzz kill. USA and Russia just hit a bit more than others. China could have been out of that bronze medal easily.