Women's Artistic Gymnastics | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Women's Artistic Gymnastics

Interspectator

Record Breaker
But Team Japan has a chance to be on the podium for the first time in Forever? --That would be exciting.

Lool, I just realized that my comment is delusional. --I totally read the qualification rankings wrong. :laugh:
But I'm proud of Team Japan anyway. They tried their best.

macy

Record Breaker
WAG TF was a splatfest. :( Such a buzz kill. USA and Russia just hit a bit more than others. China could have been out of that bronze medal easily.

i was really rooting for Brazil when they were in 3rd after the 3rd rotation, too bad they were terrible on bars. it just wasn't meant to be :disapp:

btw i didn't realize Valeri Liukin was team coordinator for Brazil now. Interesting how that was never officially announced or anything.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
i was really rooting for Brazil when they were in 3rd after the 3rd rotation, too bad they were terrible on bars. it just wasn't meant to be :disapp:

btw i didn't realize Valeri Liukin was team coordinator for Brazil now. Interesting how that was never officially announced or anything.

I know! Me too. Brazil was ready for silver today. Coming into 4th rotation they really had a solid chance for bronze.

I talked with my uncle. We always chat or sometimes even travel to gymnastics meets together. He said, Valeriy is not sure if he stays with Brazil. He enjoys working there. But country is in political turmoil. Whoever would be in charge of sport, national sport committee and gym federation in Brazil will be a very politically charged figure and not a sport technocrat. There would be a lot of politically motivated changes in the whole sport in Brazil. So Liukin is just not too sure what gonna happen, Naturally and knowing him, he would like to be as far from drama and political games as possible. He has few ideas of his own regarding trying new things in gymnastics, all he needs is gymnasts (any gymnasts), their trust and place to train them. He is in Brazil mostly as a charity case now, just helping semi pro bono. They need any help they can possibly get. Bars was a really killer for Brazilian girls. Upsetting.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Today's MAG AA - another nailbiter. And I love it.

Sadly, Sam is the most predictable gymnast ever. Always 4th-6th. Almost like Belyavsky. Always chokes. Going into HB with strong medal potential, having HB as his strongest apparatus and yet somehow he manages to screw it up. Could have been bronze easily. Or even silver.

I know rules for tie-breaker had changed not too recently, but they really could have given another gold to Chinese gymnast too. Why not? Short on medals or what? Why so cheap. Both Routeng and Dalaloyan gave a stellar performance today - hard to pick on any small mistake in their routines. If the score really so tight and even - for Christ's sake give them both gold. :) I'm not greedy!

Happy for Russians tho, those 2 boys are cute. I'm straight, I know they have girlfriends too and stuff, but I ship them. They are too cute together. I heard they are BFF in real life. Like for real. Arthur really didn't put even a single toe in a wrong way today. Great redemption from 2 days ago. I like such comeback stories. He went from burst of tears into shinning like a million bucks today.

That moment when Nikita stepped closer and kissed Artur's gold medal too. :laugh: For a second I thought he is gonna drop on one knee and propose or smth.

Artur with his troll face: https://i.imgur.com/jHei8ru.png

macy

Record Breaker
i can't believe that just happened...omg. i have never seen her fall on a vault before. here's to hoping she will be clean on her next 3 events, if so i'm sure she will still pull off a win.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
i can't believe that just happened...omg. i have never seen her fall on a vault before. here's to hoping she will be clean on her next 3 events, if so i'm sure she will still pull off a win.

Just fell off the beam too. Difficult to believe!

macy

Record Breaker
wow what a great competition! Simone won by a record margin WITH 2 FALLS AND A KIDNEY STONE :jaw:
she truly is the GOAT!
also huge congrats to Murakami for winning a medal for Japan.

oly2018

Final Flight
Congrats to the podium!

I have seen some outrage online over Simone winning, but imo, everyone on that podium is there for a reason. I think it is interesting that so many people have been comparing gymnastics to figure skating as an argument for changing the COP. I don't quite get the comparison other than the final score is a combination of 2 separate ones. Changing the COP over Simone would be ridiculous and would probably end up harming the other gymnasts more than anyone else. The person in 5th is there because she went OOB on one pass. That seems like a harsh enough penalty to me. Simone just has the difficulty on ALL events to pad herself. Really, what kept her ahead was bars, which is crazy. Figure skating does not have an athlete like that imo. Sorry for the rant, just very confused by the figure skating comparisons.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm happy with medals and placements overall today. :)

However, MAG AA yesterday was more exciting.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Today's MAG AA - another nailbiter. And I love it.

Sadly, Sam is the most predictable gymnast ever. Always 4th-6th. Almost like Belyavsky. Always chokes. Going into HB with strong medal potential, having HB as his strongest apparatus and yet somehow he manages to screw it up. Could have been bronze easily. Or even silver.

I feel SO BAD for him. I don't know how he keeps going. I am calling him the "Heartbreak Kid." I hope he can redeem himself in event finals.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
wow what a great competition! Simone won by a record margin WITH 2 FALLS AND A KIDNEY STONE :jaw:
she truly is the GOAT!
also huge congrats to Murakami for winning a medal for Japan.

Oddly enough, I was in the hospital today for a kidney stone. I was 1. sweating with pain 2. extremely nauseated from the pain to the point I required anti nausea drugs until they got the morphine on board. I cannot even begin to imagine competing on a world level WITH A KIDNEY STONE. It's insane.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Figure skating does not have an athlete like that imo. Sorry for the rant, just very confused by the figure skating comparisons.

I just saw Shoma win over Keegan Messing with multiple falls and what looked like to me a very messy short and a somewhat messy long because his technical difficulty was higher. Seems like it is the same type of thing.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I checked the FIG profiles of the best girls and was surprised how "small" they are.

Simone Biles: 145 cm / 4' 9''
Morgan Hurd: 137 cm / 4' 6''

Our Elisabeth Seitz (she has an uneven bars element named after her) is a little taller: 161 cm / 5' 3''

There seem to be two "types" of gymnasts, the super short - Morgan, Simone, Mary Lou Retton is 4'9" and then the slightly less short, who tend to do well on bars - they have better lines.