Oona Brown & Gage Brown | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Oona Brown & Gage Brown

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
With the Greens being bumped from JGP Ostrava, the chances of the Browns getting a second assignment regardless got significantly higher. While I am still hoping the Greens will be ready for at least the final event, I admit at this point that's some wishful thinking and I should just be happy to see them at Nationals.

That's true. If the Greens don't go their chances go up.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm a sucker for a good speed, and they're marvelous! Definitely keeping an eye on them! :hap10:

Btw. I see US specializes with good siblings teams: Shibs, Parsons, now Browns. Nice tradition!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They finished eighth at JGP Yerevan overall, but improved their SB in all 3 main categories! They went down about a point in TES in the RD, but got it back in PCS. And their FD and total went up nearly 10 points.

Quite a feat when they had to insert a new piece of music, from "La Grange" by ZZ Top, into their FD to avoid the music deduction, especially for such a young team.

2018 JGP Yerevan RD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBlEtEuRqsM
2018 JGP Yerevan FD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qhA7T3ELT8

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, so this post was actually written for the Armenian Cup Free Dance thread. But, after writing it, I realised it would be more suited for their Fan Fest. So, I have posted a cut down version of the post there, and the full version here.

By the way, I think the piece of music inserted into the Brown's program is from "La Grange" by ZZ Top … Certainly a tempo and mood change...

Lavrik was taking no chances :biggrin:

Yes, I thought he was saying, "You want a change, I will give you a change." :taunt:

And yet it sort of worked, though I prefer the coherent beauty of his previous vision.

Much as I like the bearded ones, combining them with Gary Moore was just bizarre.

I admit, moving from "Still Got The Blues" to "Parisienne Walkways", and then back again was so smooth that any tempo change was barely noticeable (in fact, it was so smooth that I think it was actually a recording of Gary playing a medley of the songs). And whilst adding in ZZ Top definitely provided a tempo change, the pieces just didn't fit together at all.

Nevertheless, the skating was great. They are so young, and they are going to go far.

Do you think I can claim them as one of our's? Like there is bound to be an Irish connection, what with her name and them using Gary Moore music. :agree: (There again, if we are using Gary Moore as a reason, I could claim most of the Japanese skaters too! :laugh: Which would be no bad thing... :) )

Going by the spelling used for her name, I take it she is named after Oona O'Neill. So, it'll be interesting to see if in the future they do a Charlie Chaplin programme. Gage already has the right hair length to play him. :p

Speaking of whom, I am totally intrigued by his name. Never came across a "Gage" before. But, I just looked it up and apparantly it is French in origin. It goes well with his surname.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how they develop over the years that come.

CaroLiza_fan

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
My guess is that Gage is a family surname. It used to be rather common to use family last names as either first or middle names. I had a cousin Spicer (Spike) Trail and another named Carroll Moore (yes he was a guy). And my middle brother's middle name was my mother's family name, Minor.

And in fact, some of the English Gage family moved to Ireland!
https://www.houseofnames.com/gage-family-crest

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
My guess is that Gage is a family surname. It used to be rather common to use family last names as either first or middle names. I had a cousin Spicer (Spike) Trail and another named Carroll Moore (yes he was a guy). And my middle brother's middle name was my mother's family name, Minor.

And in fact, some of the English Gage family moved to Ireland!
https://www.houseofnames.com/gage-family-crest

That was an extremely interesting read. Thank you :thank:

My surname also originated in France many moons ago (although, not quite as many moons ago as Gage did! :laugh: ), so I found this part of particular interest.

Yeah, there are examples of family surnames being used as given names in my family too. For example, my maternal Granda's first name was actually his Mum's maiden name (Allen). And my Great-Granny's sister clearly thought this was a good idea, as she did the same a few years later with her youngest son!

Other people use a family surname as a middle name, a famous example being Narnia author CS Lewis (incidentally, the Staples family home is just outside my hometown). Another famous example is Mick Fleetwood (the cool thing about him is that if you just take his middle names as a package on their own, you get the full name of one of my cousins!)

I think it is a really nice thing to do. A touching tribute to your family. ❤️

So, I do hope this is what happened here. And with Mackenzie Bent as well, for that matter.

CaroLiza_fan

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Oona and Gage finished second to the Greens at Eastern. Their performances can be seen on NBC Sport's Gold.

In the Rd, Gage had a bobble in the twizzles. They got 7 of 8 key points. The 8th was a timing error. Level 3 on the midline step.

In the FD, they blew their first lift.

In December, they performed their RD for Ice Theater of NY
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JAbcgZ-VReY

Last edited:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I hope they are still being coached by someone now and that this doesn't affect their training and preparation. That's quite disturbing...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is a good thing that he is barred from coaching, but it must be a difficult situation for the Browns. I hope they have someone to put them on the ice at Nationals, at the least. Perhaps Galit Chait Moracci? She coaches in Hackensack, NJ
AFAIR.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galit_Chait

Last edited:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That is very disturbing indeed. I hope it doesn't throw off their preparations, although I don't see how it couldn't two weeks out from nationals. If they can get through this it may be possible for them to find a better coach long-term, which would be good. They've been struggling on the technical aspects and it's such a shame.

I can't even imagine how they're feeling right now. :(

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
They are 3rd after the RD at Junior Nationals! They had the 2nd highest TES but were a bit lower in PCS. If they maintain this position, then we'll probably get to see them at junior worlds! :love:

MissCleo

On the Ice
oh I’m so happy this team has a fan fest thread! I love this team to pieces. Glad too see them do well in RD. Hoping for a great FD.

Also, did anyone recognize who was at the boards with them?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Also, did anyone recognize who was at the boards with them?

A new poster said it was Inese Bucevica. She is part of Galit Chait's group at Hackensack

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_Rogov

She was one of the coaches of Allison Reed & Vasili Rogov.

:agree:

Before seeing Doris' post, I had asked Shpilband (he happened to be near me when the Browns skated). He said a name, but I did not catch it. He added that she had been his own coach. :cool:

The identical woman who is with the Browns here at Detroit Nats also was part of the team with Rena Ikenishi at the Senior Ladies SP. Rena's choreographer is listed as Inese Bucevica.

In hindsight, that name fits the pronunciation that I heard from Shpilband.

ETA (on May 22):

And … just happened to notice that Inese Bucevica is listed as the coach for the Browns on the 2019 Honor Roll of Coaches, U.S. Figure Skating Championships, in the Mar/Apr issue of PSA magazine:

https://issuu.com/professionalskatersassociation/docs/marchapril19 (p. 22)​