Thread: Ashley Wagner relocates to Boston

21 Not allowed!

Ashley Wagner relocates to Boston

She first announced the move here:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm3g-wTH...=ashwagner2010

And now she is listed as a coach at the Skating Club of Boston:
    https://scboston.org/boston-coaches/ashley-wagner/

She has not announced anything regarding her competitive status other than that she is not doing the GP.

Tripping on the Podium

3 Not allowed!
    Hmm. I am surprised, tbh I never saw Ashley becoming a coach but good luck to her!

10 Not allowed!
    I think Ashley was previously assisting Raf? I am sure some skaters in the Boston area are very excited to be coached by Ashley!

Bona Fide Member

11 Not allowed!
    I think she could be a great choreographer, too. She and Karen are the best performers we've had among the US women in the last ~10 years.

Gold for the Winter Prince! demarinis5's Avatar

5 Not allowed!
    That is great news! I had read awhile back that she was moving to Boston but I had no idea she would be coaching, good for her.
    Best of Luck to Ashley!

On the Ice

4 Not allowed!
    Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed reading her "Coaching Philosophy" and what she has learned and wants to teach her students. Best of luck to Ashley!

11 Not allowed!
    I'm happy to hear she's finding her way. I think she'd be a great coach to have when it comes to polishing choreography and performing. What set Ashley apart and kept her in the game so long despite her lack of technical content was the fact that she could bring her programs to life in a way that very few people could. Skaters need to learn to perform. That's what she should call herself: a performance coach. Selling a performance is such a big part of making a good impression on the judges and Ashley excelled at that.

Can't wait to hear more about this!

4 Not allowed!
    I'm happy for her. She moves onto the next chapter of her life after her long career as a competitive skater. I hope she enjoys the coaching job and new start. Best wishes to her.

Bona Fide Member

3 Not allowed!
    or this could be a Gracie a short term thing but good luck to Ashley.

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Happy, and not happy for her... Happy she will be couching. And not happy because I firmly believe Ashley have to give one more try to the competitive skating, one more year... Anyway- all the best to her.

Orser would be great coach for her.

7 Not allowed!
    All the best to Ashley!

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    or this could be a Gracie a short term thing but good luck to Ashley.
    I hope it is. I'd love for Ashley to end her competitive career on a high note, without medals maybe, but with programs she can sell like noone else. I do hope she comes back for a goodbye season. But I'm glad she's not leaving skating altogether. Good luck, Ashley!

5 Not allowed!
    I’m sorry that she won’t be training for Nationals, but think this is a great move. When you read the the list of career highlights on the coaching link, it’s such a big reminder of all she’s done. Boston is the place she had the moment of her career, so a fitting location!

0 Not allowed!
    Okay!

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I'm happy to hear she's finding her way. I think she'd be a great coach to have when it comes to polishing choreography and performing. What set Ashley apart and kept her in the game so long despite her lack of technical content was the fact that she could bring her programs to life in a way that very few people could. Skaters need to learn to perform. That's what she should call herself: a performance coach. Selling a performance is such a big part of making a good impression on the judges and Ashley excelled at that.

Can't wait to hear more about this!
    She could hardly have won all those titles if she lacked technical content.

1 Not allowed!
    Yay! Good for her. I think she'll be a great coach, will understand what pupils are going through especially when the going gets rough (she knows), but will also be clear that perseverance is all. She did it herself after all.

On the Ice

5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    She could hardly have won all those titles if she lacked technical content.
    This always baffles me. She was still landing 3-3s consistently at 25. IIRC, as a teenager she used to have triple loop combos.
    I know her artistry and ability to sell her programs is what she is most known for (and truly unique in that matter), but lets not pretend she doesn't know how to jump please?

Anyway, I REALLY hope to still see her come back to competition. It's not very Ashley style to just give up after a failure. She made it her thing over the years to prove the haters wrong, I hope she does again.
    Also, if she's out for good, then we've lost another artistic skater and we desperately need those in the army of teenage jumping machines.

Medalist

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    I’m sorry that she won’t be training for Nationals, but think this is a great move. When you read the the list of career highlights on the coaching link, it’s such a big reminder of all she’s done. Boston is the place she had the moment of her career, so a fitting location!
    me too Nationals comes close enough to me in 10 years that I can attend, and she won't be there. Pretty sad about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyLex View Post
    This always baffles me. She was still landing 3-3s consistently at 25. IIRC, as a teenager she used to have triple loop combos.
    I know her artistry and ability to sell her programs is what she is most known for (and truly unique in that matter), but lets not pretend she doesn't know how to jump please?

Anyway, I REALLY hope to still see her come back to competition. It's not very Ashley style to just give up after a failure. She made it her thing over the years to prove the haters wrong, I hope she does again.
    Also, if she's out for good, then we've lost another artistic skater and we desperately need those in the army of teenage jumping machines.
    Something tells me she'll come back. I think she'll miss it and get a fire under her butt again at least for one season. I don't think she would want to go out on a low note either.