Dutch waltz | Golden Skate

Dutch waltz

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I don't know how many ice dancers are floating around on this forum, but... I just started learning the Dutch Waltz and I'm looking for fun and slow songs that are more or less waltzes. (i.e. they might not be a traditional waltz, but if they are in 3/4 it should work.) Any suggestions? Bonus points: has Prince ever done a song that could work as a waltz? I kept trying to google Prince and waltzes but just got fairy tale results... whereas I meant the purple one, Prince Rogers Nelson :laugh: Thanks in advance!

SmallAminal

On the Ice
This might not be where you were going with the music choices, but in addition to the "traditional" Dutch Waltz music (which gets dreadful when you hear it all day), Skate Canada has "contemporary choices" as well:

You and me - Lifehouse; and
I"ll Be - Edwin McCain

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I think a lot of Oldies also have a waltz tempo--think Elvis, etc. if you want to go that direction.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't know how many ice dancers are floating around on this forum, but... I just started learning the Dutch Waltz and I'm looking for fun and slow songs that are more or less waltzes. (i.e. they might not be a traditional waltz, but if they are in 3/4 it should work.) Any suggestions? Bonus points: has Prince ever done a song that could work as a waltz? I kept trying to google Prince and waltzes but just got fairy tale results... whereas I meant the purple one, Prince Rogers Nelson :laugh: Thanks in advance!

I am a former competitive ice dancer!

Here's "Place In Heaven" by Prince and last I remember it's 3/4 time. ;)

https://youtu.be/b8fdP5f-yJU

bunnybarista

On the Ice
Thank you, everyone, for these suggestions! Additionally, I've found some workable "blues" songs that are in 3/4 - "Make it Rain" by Ed Sheeran (98 bpm, slow but good for learning) and "Caught Out in the Rain" by Beth Hart (151 bpm, can be slowed down) being the top contenders. It's entirely accidental that they both have "rain" in the title! :laugh:

I am a former competitive ice dancer!

Here's "Place In Heaven" by Prince and last I remember it's 3/4 time. ;)

https://youtu.be/b8fdP5f-yJU

Amazing - this just made my day! I'd searched through most of Prince's big albums and was ready to give up. Thanks so much! :luv17: And good to know that we have a former competitive ice dancer in our midst - I know who to come to if I have questions! ;) (I'm lucky enough to have a coach whose focus is ice dance, but ya never know when questions might arise nonetheless.)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So many suggesting the same piece by Seal! :laugh:

bunnybarista

On the Ice

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for the link to the playlist!

Yes, "Kiss From a Rose" seems to be having a moment here :laugh: I'll be honest, it's a bit too cheesy for my liking...

I really hope you are going to skate to something by Prince! :2thumbs:

bunnybarista

On the Ice
I really hope you are going to skate to something by Prince! :2thumbs:

You can count on that! I have this totally-over-the-top purple sparkly outfit that I've skated in just for fun and, naturally, I brought along a Prince CD... and it was a match made in heaven! So far I've very casually skated to both Purple Rain and When Doves Cry. (Not for the Dutch Waltz though.) I'll be honest, seeing Virtue/Moir do their awesome Prince program last year definitely inspired me to have my own Prince moment on ice.

I found a few more 3/4 songs from Prince - right now, "Wow" is looking like a strong contender for my waltz adventures :biggrin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Sy9h_hJuU Now I need to figure out how to slow down music... Audacity, here I come?