2018-19 European Ice Dance | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2018-19 European Ice Dance

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Guignard/Fabbri seem to have improved a lot since last season and now they have scores that are challenging the top tier teams. This season they are the Italian #1's. I think Marco is a great partner, often underrated in the past, and Charlene seems to have caught up to him skating skills-wise, and now they seem pretty well matched. They don't have the most interesting programs and they are not trendsetters, but what they present is very suitable for them and what they execute, they do very well (they have some of the best twizzles). Anyone else impressed?

I'm impressed with how far they've come, but I think they really could use a new choreographer. They're usually better than their programs. I mean the LLL program is a nice stylistic homage to classic Hollywood musicals, but it's no more than nice. It would be helpful if their team would stop using "music that worked last season." They've progressed to the point where they really could start taking greater chances with their material.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
4. There was improvement because they were irrelevant to the sport of ice dance from 2014-2018
They were more or less. And now two teams are getting top-tier marks. I mean not that they are not good, I just don't think they are that good yet.
On the other hand the new world pecking order has not crystalised yet it seems so anything goes.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Great interview with Lilah Fear & Lewis Gibson, who will be competing at NHK, it covers all aspects of on and off ice life.

https://youtu.be/gPSOoiiO2dI

Interview by Tony Wheeler, whose name I remember from Skating Forums back in the day. :cool:

LandShark

Rinkside
Great interview with Lilah Fear & Lewis Gibson, who will be competing at NHK, it covers all aspects of on and off ice life.

https://youtu.be/gPSOoiiO2dI

Interview by Tony Wheeler, whose name I remember from Skating Forums back in the day. :cool:

Many thanks for sharing this. A young couple I really like with a cracking free dance this year. All the best to them both at the NHK.

Andrea82

Medalist
I was wondering when she would begin her season :scratch2:
did she announce something?

Giada Russo debuted in a national competition being held in in Rome this week-end. She is skating with Jaime Garcia (who is Spanish and just came out of Junior category). In the Tango they scored 51 (for comparison Calderone/Papetti scored 59)

I don't know if they plan to compete for Italy or Spain or if they are still waiting for a release of one of them. They are doing this internal event as "guests" (I mean, they danced, they were scored but they don't appear in the official ranking).

Nirti

Medalist
According to the entry list to Italian Nats, they are waiting to be released from Spain:

"6 Russo Giada - Garcia Jaime *
* Coppia in attesa di release dalla Spagna"

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Which country will they represent? Her name sounds Polish, but he could be English, German or American :) I admit I don't know either of them.

"Arianna Wroblewska (former Senior B Swiss Champion) and Stéphane Walker (5 times Swiss Champion) took on the challenge of starting a new career in Ice Dancing. Congrats for passing the Ice Dancing Gold test… on their way to the Elite Swiss Nationals 2018!"

Switzerland

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
"Arianna Wroblewska (former Senior B Swiss Champion) and Stéphane Walker (5 times Swiss Champion) took on the challenge of starting a new career in Ice Dancing. Congrats for passing the Ice Dancing Gold test… on their way to the Elite Swiss Nationals 2018!"

Switzerland

Oh, good! I was only wondering the other day whether he'd been able to find a partner.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

Switzerland

Interesting. We have a former Swiss Ice Dance Champion, Oscar Peter, coaching in the UK for the past couple of years, up at Blackpool with his life partner Katie Stainsby, former Pro on Dancing on Ice and cast member of the Hot Ice Show. They produced the Basic Novice silver medalists at the recent British Championships.

Bronze medalists at GPF in Vancouver Charlene Guignard & Marco Fabbri, an interview.
"Barbara still has the energy of a 15 year old girl" :yay:

https://youtu.be/axz6-j8RgXs

Weathergal

Medalist
Interesting. We have a former Swiss Ice Dance Champion, Oscar Peter, coaching in the UK for the past couple of years, up at Blackpool with his life partner Katie Stainsby, former Pro on Dancing on Ice and cast member of the Hot Ice Show. They produced the Basic Novice silver medalists at the recent British Championships.

Bronze medalists at GPF in Vancouver Charlene Guignard & Marco Fabbri, an interview.
"Barbara still has the energy of a 15 year old girl" :yay:

https://youtu.be/axz6-j8RgXs

Thanks so much for posting the interview. They are so charming!

Giselle

Medalist
Have COOMES & BUCKLAND retired? I was looking at last year's Europeans results and I was wondering about them.

I think that there will be 2 fights at Europeans this year:

A fight for 1st-4th between Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON, Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN, Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV, Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI.

Then for 5th-10th place between Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO (if they get to go), Sara HURTADO / Kirill KHALIAVIN, Natalia KALISZEK / Maksym SPODYRIEV, Olivia SMART / Adrian DIAZ, Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON and Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC.

Did I miss anyone?

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Coomes and Buckland are taking the year off and coaching in America. It’s anyone’s guess if they plan on returning but they haven’t officially retired yet.

I’m hoping that Nick’s little brother Joe Buckland and Robyne Tweedale do well enough to keep GBR’s second spot.

Nirti

Medalist
Did I miss anyone?

I would say the same!

Then a group of 9 skaters with big chances to qualify for the Free Dance : 1 german, Yanovskaya/Lukacs, Galiavieva/Thauron, the 2 italians, Turkkila/Versluis, Tweedale/Buckland, Popova/Bielikov, Reed/Ambrulevicius.

The fight for the 10th spot between Kublikova/Hulitski and Plutowska/Flemin, and finally a group 5 with low chances to skate 2 programs : Manni/Röthlisberger, Kelly/Akalin, Ichilov/Davidovich, Bunina/Frolov and Markova/Daze.

I’m hoping that Nick’s little brother Joe Buckland and Robyne Tweedale do well enough to keep GBR’s second spot.

I've good hopes that Fear/Gibson will finish in the top10. If they're 11th, Tweedale/Buckland should be 17th, or 12th and 16th.

Giselle

Medalist
Plutowska/Flemin need to get it together (especially Jeremie and his twizzles), they have not been skating well this season, I'm still scared that they'll be the 1st team not to qualify for the FD again this year :drama: