Dancing with the Stars | Golden Skate

Dancing with the Stars

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love to see Sasha Cohen on DWTS. For a male skater, Stephane Lambiel. I know I'm just dreaming. :laugh:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Okay, I came to this idea of making a fantasy list of figure skaters as DWTS dream season cast - on mine, there would be:

Stephane Lambiel
Daisuke Takahashi
Nobunari Oda
Brian Joubert
Florent Amodio
Scott Moir

Irina Slutskaya
Tessa Virtue
Mao Asada
Kiira Korpi
Ashley Wagner
Sasha Cohen

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
No figure skaters this time, but you can root for Mary Lou Retton. :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNcf255Ssks

I know Mary Lou Retton seems to be some kind of media darling in the US, but she's lost all my respect lately.

In the light of the Nassar abuse scandal, she supported Nassar for quite some. She always sided with USA Gymnastics, despite their utter failure to do anything productive to prevent further abuse from happening. She also personally went to congress to talk to Senator Feinstein in order to try to stop a bill that would criminalize athletic organizations like USA Gymnastics for failing to report sexual abuse. And she's a horrible driver, she posted videos of herself driving while playing on her phone saying how proud she was doing something "highly illegal".

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I was flipping channels last night and came across DWTS:Juniors.

Adam Rippon was one of the judges (along with Mandy Moore and Val from DWTS)

Not sure if Adam will be a judge all season, or if he was a guest judge last night.

Manitou

Medalist
I started watching the kids version of it.
As to the adult version, I think there is no point of this show until they start bringing people who are actually relevant. To me it looks they catch random people on the street to fill the show. And then those people become "famous" for being on the show...

nickp91

Final Flight
Watching Adam Rippon on DWTS Junior He is such a fun person and an asset to the judges

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I think Adam will be a judge all season.

He was very sweet with the kids and seems to be a great judge for the show!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched DWTS Juniors and I'm not sure what to think yet. They did So You Think You can Dance with Juniors a couple of season ago. I felt the dancing was so much structured than this. Each of the Juniors had a mentor with the professional staff and had to do a dance with them each week. I really enjoyed that season when I thought I wouldn't.

heyang

Record Breaker
I watched DWTS Juniors and I'm not sure what to think yet. They did So You Think You can Dance with Juniors a couple of season ago. I felt the dancing was so much structured than this. Each of the Juniors had a mentor with the professional staff and had to do a dance with them each week. I really enjoyed that season when I thought I wouldn't.

and JT was the runner up on SYTYCD JR.

With the exception of Tripp Palin, the other kids are definitely looking for recognition boosts.

heyang

Record Breaker
I started watching the kids version of it.
As to the adult version, I think there is no point of this show until they start bringing people who are actually relevant. To me it looks they catch random people on the street to fill the show. And then those people become "famous" for being on the show...

I do agree that some of the 'stars' are very obscure and most are seeking additional positive recognition. Most A-list and B-list stars don't have the time to dedicate to the time needed to properly trains for DWTS. Dwts definitely boosted Giles Marini's, Drew Lachey's, Joey Fatone's careers. JR Martinez was only known to fans of All My Children and definitely gained exposure for veterans when he won DWTS.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do agree that some of the 'stars' are very obscure and most are seeking additional positive recognition. Most A-list and B-list stars don't have the time to dedicate to the time needed to properly trains for DWTS. Dwts definitely boosted Giles Marini's, Drew Lachey's, Joey Fatone's careers. JR Martinez was only known to fans of All My Children and definitely gained exposure for veterans when he won DWTS.

Heck,some of these stars don't even have time to properly train for it. At least one competitor each season is doing something like flying back and forth to NYC every week or whatever and they have to practice in unusual places. I think I'm just getting old that I recognize few of the competitors this year. Since when did "Social Media Influencer" become a job? Wouldn't "Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model" get her more recognition?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know Mary Lou Retton seems to be some kind of media darling in the US, but she's lost all my respect lately.

In the light of the Nassar abuse scandal, she supported Nassar for quite some. She always sided with USA Gymnastics, despite their utter failure to do anything productive to prevent further abuse from happening. She also personally went to congress to talk to Senator Feinstein in order to try to stop a bill that would criminalize athletic organizations like USA Gymnastics for failing to report sexual abuse. And she's a horrible driver, she posted videos of herself driving while playing on her phone saying how proud she was doing something "highly illegal".

I find this absolutely shocking in light of the fact that she has at least 2 daughters in gymnastics. McKenna took a medical redshirt last year for a ruptured Achilles and she has another daughter who is committed to LSU. I noticed Mary Lou looked very old without makeup, too.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Alaurynm

Rinkside
Heck,some of these stars don't even have time to properly train for it. At least one competitor each season is doing something like flying back and forth to NYC every week or whatever and they have to practice in unusual places. I think I'm just getting old that I recognize few of the competitors this year. Since when did "Social Media Influencer" become a job? Wouldn't "Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model" get her more recognition?

Social media influencers are more popular among younger people so they try to get them on the show for a younger audience

heyang

Record Breaker
Social media influencers are more popular among younger people so they try to get them on the show for a younger audience

A lot of companies are hiring people to manage their social media presence. It does take a lot of thought to ensure that posts aren't misinterpreted and are succinct, etc. and/or to develop something to post that goes viral with a positive message.