Shoutout to Ted Barton for the ISU Junior YT channel | Golden Skate

Shoutout to Ted Barton for the ISU Junior YT channel

freeman21

On the Ice
I know not many people are interested in junior competitions, but just wanted to give a shoutout to whoever is in charge if the ISU Junior YouTube channel.

Live streams, videos of each skater attending the Grand Prix competitions, videos of medal ceremonies, videos of full events, interviews, you name it, you can find almost anything junior-related posted on their youtube channel (oh, and a schedule of the upcoming events posted right on the front banner for morons like me). It's especially good compared to the Skating ISU YouTube channel that only features some competitions and some skaters + a few highlights. Makes following the junior events so much easier.

I know most of the senior competitions videos are blocked on Youtube because of TV rights and so on, but still, they could at least post them with 2-3 months delays (or even more). I'm only actively watching skating for a year now, but it feels ridiculous that we're in 2018 and you can't rewatch most of the Olympic programs, or even things like Zagitova's performance at the 2018 European Championship.

It's bad enough skating has a small fanbase. Blocking YouTube videos will 100% not help increase the number of fans. I, for example, wouldn't attend figure skating competitions/watch most of the GP events right now if I didn't see a random YouTube video of Medvedeva one year ago.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
You can address your thanks to Mr. T. Barton.

Yep, the Junior GP YouTube channel is all Ted's doing. He came up with the idea of livestreaming the Junior GP's, and the ISU agreed to it. During the competitions he not only gives brilliant commentary, but he also cuts all the individual programme videos as well. So it really is his baby.

There was an interview with Ted last season where he talks about it, so I hope somebody can find the article again.

CaroLiza_fan

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
You can address your thanks to Mr. T. Barton.

Yep, the Junior GP YouTube channel is all Ted's doing. It really is his baby. During the competitions he not only gives brilliant commentary, but he also cuts all the individual programme videos as well.

There was an interview with Ted last season where he talks about it, so I hope somebody can find the article again.

CaroLiza_fan

Its almost a one man show. He conceptualized, created, hosts, and edits the entire channel. :pray: His love for this sport is second to none. Ted for ISU president :hb:

Nika09

On the Ice
Mr.Barton's comments during JGP's very good as well. Giving professional opinion he's also gently and politely picking words about every single skater, no matter how exact program was skated. It's very thoughtful and precious considering the fact, that those kids could and will rewatch their performances lately. I think some of regular commentators have a lot to learn from him. Because some of them could be really rude, probably forgetting that here're 16-17 y.o skaters all around in senior circuit as well.

Also I agree with lack of videos from major FS competitions in Internet. Due to time zone difference, for population of one or another continent it's almost impossible to watch those events. So how you supposed to going to attract people to become an regular audience after all?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
There's a nice article on Ted's motivations and how he tries to make comments in International Figure Magazine, in the August issue.

Edit: I just looked up the issue.

Miller

Final Flight
All I can say is keep watching the Junior Grand Prix Channel and hopefully the PTB will get the message re other competitions.

Re the Olymipcs, historically there's never been much on Youtube. However all the Pyeongchang videos are on the Olympic Channel https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/sports/figure-skating/videos/. You'll have to scroll a long way down the all videos, but they're all there, full event replays plus selected individuals. Quality isn't great but it may be my rubbish internet connection, adjusting the settings definitely helped.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I had no idea Ted not only commentated the JGP but set up the entire YT channel as well... what a legend.

freeman21

On the Ice
Mr.Barton's comments during JGP's very good as well. Giving professional opinion he's also gently and politely picking words about every single skater, no matter how exact program was skated. It's very thoughtful and precious considering the fact, that those kids could and will rewatch their performances lately

Yeah, I also noticed he never he never goes ham on skaters even if they have bad performances and I totally agree it makes no sense publicly criticizing such young skaters.

Never knew he's also the one managing the youtube account; hope he reads the GS Forum and realizes his efforts are appreciated :agree:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Kudos to Ted! It's great to see how JGP streaming has evolved over the last two quads, from no commentary archived videos from one camera angle to live streaming from multiple camera angles with Kiss and Cry and Ted's constructive commentary for the entire competition, from the first skater to the last in all four disciplines. Now that's dedication! Before streaming and archived videos, we could only have hoped for fancams.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't watch a lot of juniors, but whenever I have the pleasure of hearing Ted's commentary, I am always in awe. He is so insightful with his critiques and always gives the skaters credit for working hard. When they have problems, he positively suggests how they can improve. He's great!

maggieanne

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Wow I had no idea Ted did all that! I love his commentary and I love all the great content on the isu junior yt channel. I can’t believe it’s all him, what a great guy.
Thank you Ted!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Ted Barton. :love:

He said in that earlier interview, the skaters aren’t stupid, they know what they did wrong, he prefers to point out how they could improve rather than just recite their faults.

:agree:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Everything I hear about Ted Barton just makes me appreciate him more. Plus, I didn't put the pieces together before, but if he's running the whole show single-handedly, that means that he's the one who made the call to shut down the JGP livechat rather than allow people to keep posting negative and abusive comments about the skaters in real time, and that was an extremely good choice. The standard you walk past is the standard you accept, after all.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ted is truly an inspiration and the Patron Saint of Figure Skating. :biggrin:

I hope he gets into the Hall of Fame (if he's not already!) for his services to the sport.

Plus I love his commentary! So nice and informative!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Best quality stream of the three competitions goes to Ted and the juniors today :agree:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I want to send Ted greeting cards and stuffed bears to hug him for the amazing things he does. :luv17:

Haleth

On the Ice
Thank you so much Ted, you already have given the sport so much and yet selfishly I hope you are able to keep on for a long time! :luv17:

Also thrilled to hear Ted is doing the commentary for the ACI next week (is he the one who got the ISU to change its mind over geo-blocking the stream?). As long as he accidentally doesn't end up in Mississauga he'll be a wonderful addition to the event ;)