LTS coaching advice and help | Golden Skate

LTS coaching advice and help

zjamic

Rinkside
Hi all! 😊

Recently, I made the decision to do all online classes for my college to save money, and when my local rink finally opened for the season (yay!) the manager dropped my name to the head of the recreational department because that person to run/coach LTS had to stop due to medical purposes. Needless to say, the head of the recreational department reached out and offered me to teach the LTS program, which I hesitantly accepted because no one else would teach the program; back down at college and the rink I skated, I helped my coach teach LTS. However, I have my concerns regarding the idea that he had no clue about and he believes that I dont need certification or anything. Also, my coach hasn't returned my calls 😱.

Firstly, I'm fairly certain I need to be certified to teach, which I'm not even a member of Skate USA yet due to not competing. My coach and rink(s) I've skated at didn't have me register because I didnt have time to compete with a full course load, full as in 21 credits with a resident advisor position, and it wasn't a requirment (bad on me). How do I go about that? Do I signup for skater or instructor.... so many questions and much confusion.

Next, i have a outline of the LTS program from the rink down by my college, but the people/skaters there are different from here. So, i have no idea on how to design lessons each Saturday. I was told that I would have maybe 10-15 (no big deal) skaters per Saturday, sessions are only 3 Saturdays, and I have a mix of kids and adults. However, at my old rink there were different stations for the different levels and at my home rink there will be just one big station. (Maybe I'm freaking out over nothing). Any ideas? I have a thought or two, but I think trying 5o compensate for both kids and adults is making my head spin (probably for no reason 😅)

Thank you!

jf12

Final Flight
When you register as a LTS instructor it covers things like liability insurance, and a background check. This registration is pretty easy and fast and would help prevent you from getting sued if one of your students gets hurt. Good luck!

davincisoprano

Rinkside
It should be noted that LTS USA membership only covers teaching group lessons under LTS. If you want to teach privates, you have to get separate PSA membership and insurance, plus CER certification etc.

LTS USA also has level curriculums, so if you have small classes you can combine them to low-beginner and high-beginner where low is Basic 1-4, High is Basic 5-8

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
LTS USA also has level curriculums, so if you have small classes you can combine them to low-beginner and high-beginner where low is Basic 1-4, High is Basic 5-8

Yeah, I was going to say that you should look up the official LTS curriculum so you wouldn't have to come up with a lesson plan really. A group of 10-15 people, especially if they are mixed ages and abilities, sounds like way too much for just one coach. At my rink, we try to have no more than 4-5 students per coach in group lessons. Unless everyone is at exactly the same level (which pretty much never happens), it would be overwhelming to try to teach everyone at once and give people any kind of individualized attention. I don't know how well-organized your rink's LTS program is - it sounds like it might be a bit loose. If there is a wide range of levels, then there most certainly should be more than one coach out there. Good luck!

zjamic

Rinkside
Also, I want kids in hometown to experience skating and (hopefully) gain a love for it like I do. I know back at the other rink I had kids coming back because they wanted to see me and learn something new every week.... I miss that and a lot of those kids because they were angels!

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Also, I want kids in hometown to experience skating and (hopefully) gain a love for it like I do. I know back at the other rink I had kids coming back because they wanted to see me and learn something new every week.... I miss that and a lot of those kids because they were angels!

That is awesome! Having a coach who really loves skating and loves teaching others to love it is the best! (So much "love" in one sentence... :laugh:) Especially for entry-level LTS, having an excited and positive role model, no matter your age, is very helpful. :luv17:

treesprite

Final Flight
If it is just a seasonal rink not affiliated with any skating organization, they may not care if coach is certified or whatever. They should, however, have discussed liability insurance with you, because of a skater gets hurt while in class, you might get sued and it would be on you, not the rink unless you have something in writing that says the rink will cover liability.

zjamic

Rinkside
If it is just a seasonal rink not affiliated with any skating organization, they may not care if coach is certified or whatever. They should, however, have discussed liability insurance with you, because of a skater gets hurt while in class, you might get sued and it would be on you, not the rink unless you have something in writing that says the rink will cover liability.

Yes! My hometown rink is seasonal! Thank you for mentioning that about the liability. I will email the head of recreation regarding that, as well if an injury were to occur with one of the helpers.

Also, I am now a member of Skate USA as an LTS instructor and currently going through the online training. I feel like telling the parents I'm certified for LTS would make them feel better, along with other personal information regarding my skating abilities. The information given is extremely helpful!

Thank you Treesprite!