Programs that you like that werent recieved well? | Golden Skate

Programs that you like that werent recieved well?

StephenGfan

Final Flight
Mine:
Elenas titanic fs didnt like the music cuts butshe sold it at rosetelecom. Loved her costume and hairstyle.

nervosa

On the Ice
I liked Evgenia's 2015-16 short program, Melodies of the White Night. It doesn't seem to have been very memorable, but I think the music was very beautiful and Zhenya's skating nice as always. I think she looks good in red, too.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
100% Candyman. People hate that program so. much. Like really, really hate it on a viscereal level. I understand the dislike of the lyrics - they're pretty awful. But the costumes and choreography?

Ah well, I'll just sit over here in my bad taste bubble :laugh:

maggieanne

Rinkside
Country
United-States
100% Candyman. People hate that program so. much. Like really, really hate it on a viscereal level. I understand the dislike of the lyrics - they're pretty awful. But the costumes and choreography?

YES, me too! I mean the lyrics definitely made me uncomfortable, but I thought the rest of it was cute and fun. Never understood everyone else’s intense hatred for it.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Going back in time...

In 1991, the Duchesnay's competed an experimental piece, Reflections. The concept would be avant-garde today, never mind back then.

The previous year, they had dazzled with Missing, and Reflections was considered something of a let-down. After losing the European title when many thought they would have won, they dumped the program. Christopher Dean put together Missing II in a hurry, and it had much of the drama and emotion of the original Missing, and they won the World Title, beating Klimova and Ponomarenko for the last time (I think).

On re-watch, I like the program better than I did at the time.

This clip features Robin Cousins doing some commentary at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qaqag3LTHM

newyn

On the Ice

This is basically my sentiments. Did not like the lyrics, nothing against the costumes, the skating was good as always. I particularly don't get why people would feel it was a juniorish program. Because of the polka dots? But the program was set to fast music and jam packed with difficult choreo, nothing juniorish in that I think.

Virtue and Moir's Carmen is an example of a program that a lot of people didn't like. To me, it was their strongest work ever.

Michelle Kwans' Miraculous Mandarin program was not well received. I thought it had great potential. (it was choreographed by Michelle's future brother-in-law, Peter Oppegard, shortly after Michelle broke up with Lori Nichol. People were, shall we say, cautious as to what to expect.)

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

I was rather worried about them because despite their technical prowess ,they would definitely get an angry backlash and cold responses from conservative locals at any events and their chosen music is well-known to the public so they couldn't escape harsh criticism among those who understand the lyrics well. Besides, they lack rhythmic senses, so it can be hardly said that they sold the program to be honest.

Amei

Record Breaker

I'm on the fence for how I feel about this program the music is a really fun beat as long as you ignore the lyrics, but where I praise them and get perplexed is that it was so out of their style - I applaud them for going outside their comfort zone but in an Olympic year it seemed odd to go that far out of the box. Morozov at points you could tell it wasn't his cup of tea either

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Both Yuzuru's 2017 programs from my reading were quite coolly received for most of the season...and then everyone was surprised when he went back to Chopin & Seimei for the Olympics :scratch:

Me, I love them both and not just because H&L got the historic record either.

Helena b

Rinkside
Alina's Afro Blue gala. I can understand why some people didn't like it but for me it was fresh and new and she really seemed to enjoy performing it (at least the 2nd half).

It looks much better with dim lighting like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIxnkaTnpLA

This program also brings attention to her best talents - jumps and flexibility.

StephenGfan

Final Flight
Virtue and Moir's Carmen is an example of a program that a lot of people didn't like. To me, it was their strongest work ever.

Michelle Kwans' Miraculous Mandarin program was not well received. I thought it had great potential. (it was choreographed by Michelle's future brother-in-law, Peter Oppegard, shortly after Michelle broke up with Lori Nicole. People didn't know what to expect.)

People like it just not on here were people are only just starting to like it.

libecha

Rinkside

The costumes and choreography didn't really bother me at all. If they'd set it to different music, I think it would have been a good program. But the lyrics. . .it's like saying, "Aside from that thing with the iceberg, the Titanic was great!" It overshadows everything else.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I guess I'm going to say Evgenia's 9-11 program. It always scored well but, it was controversial in the beginning. I loved it from day 1

Davis and Whites "Eleanor's Dream"

Thanks for the recollection. And a beautiful dream it was! The conception, music cuts and execution of the choreography were exceptional.

I wouldn't say people didn't like it, though. Davis and White were still behind Belbin and Agosto in the U.S. and behind their training mates Virtue and Moir internationally. They didn't get the results that they were about to claim in a year or two.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold's Gershwin SP.

I know Frank and B.Esp commentators hated it but it was the most impressive program i've seen from Gracie.

The choreography was very demanding but she could handle that: i think this would have made a bigger splash at Sochi than the lovely Grieg's SP. (i don't think that was the right audience for that type of program)

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I have no problem with either the music or the choreography of that program. A different pair might well have made a stunner of it. The problem for me was that it was being skated by a pair whose strengths are so diametrically opposed to what was needed to make it work that they became active liabilities for the length of the program. I give T/M full credit for sensing the seachange happening in Pairs and trying to contribute, but when your strengths are flow, extension and classic, held lines, it's probably not effective to try to leap straight to something that requires the sharpness and snap of a jive...

My program I like that everyone else loathes, or at least mocks, is Laurine's Marilyn Monroe program in its original form. It missed the temper of the time badly, but as a piece of choreography, it actually worked and she sold it quite well at Skate Canada.