A plea to Michelle Kwan | Golden Skate

A plea to Michelle Kwan

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Please skate again in a show. And ask Sasha and Yuna and many people you like to join you. The busy programs of the young teens like Alina make me dizzy. I want long spiral combos back. And a great skating show. I’ll bet Sasha also returned to ice for comfort after her divorce.

I just want to see skaters who really understand the beauty is in the gliding not just jumps. Michelle I bet can do a triple toe and the rest doubles. I just want to see her and Sasha and others really skate again. There really needs to be a tribute to skating and Nancy Kerrigan and her husband could maybe pull this off. Who wants to see these ladies and their skating style again once more?

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Please skate again in a show. And ask Sasha and Yuna and many people you like to join you. The busy programs of the young teens like Alina make me dizzy. I want long spiral combos back. And a great skating show. I’ll bet Sasha also returned to ice for comfort after her divorce.

I just want to see skaters who really understand the beauty is in the gliding not just jumps. Michelle I bet can do a triple toe and the rest doubles. I just want to see her and Sasha and others really skate again. There really needs to be a tribute to skating and Nancy Kerrigan and her husband could maybe pull this off. Who wants to see these ladies and their skating style again once more?

I would love to see Michelle Kwan skate again.
She was always one of my favorite skaters.

And as much as I miss her skating....
I miss Michelle Kwan's sportsmanship also.
She never threw "shade" at other competitors.
She never whined when things didn't go her way.
She didn't make a big deal out of injuries or use them as an excuse.

And just a guess - she wouldn't insult/criticize/downgrade other skaters or their styles.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The unfortunate reality is that many skaters suffer from ongoing chronic injuries from their competitive years. I don't know if that's the case for Michelle, but many skaters cannot perform their signature moves anymore. Surya can no longer do backflips due to surgery, and struggles with pain just from skating (http://www.startribune.com/skating-...es-a-surprise-landing-in-minnesota/408522885/). Skaters beat up their bodies during their careers, but the stress on joints and other body parts continues afterwards just from daily activity.

heyang

Record Breaker
If you follow Michelle on Instagram or Twitter, she occasionally posts clips of herself skating. There was an earlier post where she said she had a goal to be able to land her triples again, but just as a personal challenge.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
If you follow Michelle on Instagram or Twitter, she occasionally posts clips of herself skating.

OMG, yes. I remember when she posted a clip of herself doing the inside outside spiral and it nearly KILLED me. Sooo good. I almost forgot that such wonderful things used to exist in skating...
Find me a skater nowadays who can do a spiral at least half as good.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
If you follow Michelle on Instagram or Twitter, she occasionally posts clips of herself skating. There was an earlier post where she said she had a goal to be able to land her triples again, but just as a personal challenge.

I think I've seen Michelle landing nice triple toe loop on her instagram last year, but that's it. We neither know her success rate, and whether she feels truly comfortable with it. I'd love to see Michelle Kwan skating again some exhibitions :drama:

meem

On the Ice
That change edge spiral is a thing of beauty, one we don't see very often these days (if at all). Yeah, c'mon back Michelle!

crazydreamer

On the Ice

i agree with your comments about dizzy modern programs. As technically impressive as modern transitions may be, the performance suffers by the extraneous movement for the sake of movement. Sasha’s programs were so compelling in part because there were moments of silence and long still build ups to jumps that were then perfectly timed to the music.