2018–2019 Season Predictions Games | Golden Skate

2018–2019 Season Predictions Games

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
With a month to go until the first Senior Grand Prix of the season, it is probably high time to start the ball rolling for this season’s Predictions Games.

Firstly, may I apologise to those of you who were upset that we did not have a Junior Grand Prix Predictions Game this season. With all the changes that have been happening over the summer, and with me going on holidays, it was not possible to work out the logistics in time for the start of the Series.

However, everything is now sorted out. And there are a couple of changes for this season.

Although there was no Junior GP Game this season, we will not miss out the 2018 Junior Grand Prix Series completely. To make up for not being able to predict on the regular rounds, it has been decided that the Junior GP Final will now become the first round of Junior ISU Championships Predictions Game for this season. (The other rounds will be the EYOF and Junior Worlds).

Also, so that as many members as possible have the opportunity to take part in the Predictions Games this season, the Prediction Threads will no longer be located in the Competition Forum.

Like last season, I would prefer to concentrate on running the Games that I have always run:

2018 – 2019 National Championships Predictions Game
2018 – 2019 Junior ISU Championships Predictions Game
2019 ISU Championships Predictions Game

So, I am asking now if anybody would like to run the original Predictions Game:

2018 Senior Grand Prix Predictions Game

I will of course help the new organiser(s) to learn the ropes.

So, please reply below if you would be interested in taking over as organiser of the GP Game. Or if you would like to be a scorer.

Thank you to everybody who has played a role in the Predictions Games over the past few years, either as players or as part of the scoring team. The Games would not have been possible without you all.

CaroLiza_fan

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I scored ladies during last 3 seasons and could do this year as well....but there are 2 things I would like to clarify.

1. Will prediction game be in the edge or in competition section? We had before 100 - 150 regular participants to make the thing quite competitive. I am sure that if the game is in the competition the number will reduce significantly.

2. After recent changes the printable version of pages contains 10 rather than 40 posts. This will reduce the productivity of scoring. Would it be possible to introduce the option to show more than 10 posts in printable page version?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I scored ladies during last 3 seasons and could do this year as well....but there are 2 things I would like to clarify.

Thank you samkrut. It is always good to get the experienced scorers back on board.

1. Will prediction game be in the edge or in competition section? We had before 100 - 150 regular participants to make the thing quite competitive. I am sure that if the game is in the competition the number will reduce significantly.

This was actually my concern as well during the summer, and was the main reason why I believed that the Junior GP Game in particular wouldn't be viable under the new forum setup.

But, since coming back from holidays, I have been assured that the Predictions Games will be run from outside of the Competition Forum to ensure more participation. Most likely it will be in The Edge, although it could be somewhere else (a dedicated forum?)

2. After recent changes the printable version of pages contains 10 rather than 40 posts. This will reduce the productivity of scoring. Would it be possible to introduce the option to show more than 10 posts in printable page version?

Aha! That explains it!

During the Lombardia Trophy, I thought it wasn't taking me as long to read the pages in the competition threads as it used to! But, I was putting that down to it being so long since I had last visited a competition thread, and had just forgotten what it was like.

Right, perhaps that is something that you should bring up in the Feedback Forum.

CaroLiza_fan

LadyB

Record Breaker
Hi CaroLiza_fan,

I'm more than happy to be a scorer again. Preferably Men and Pairs, but Ice Dance is fine by me as well. Cheers! :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hi CaroLiza_fan,

I'm more than happy to be a scorer again. Preferably Men and Pairs, but Ice Dance is fine by me as well. Cheers! :)

That's great. I'll contact you and everybody else that wants to help whenever we have a better idea of how many volunteers we may have.

Thank you so much

CaroLiza_fan

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
Since Ice Dance is my favourite discipline, I would love to have a try and be an Ice Dance scorer. Although I would need some training :)

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
I've scored in the past but probably won't have time to do it now as I'm starting college in a week. :slink:

(I can do Russian and Japanese nationals, though.)

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Wait, IDF is during Thanksgiving. I'll take dance, since that tends to be more chill.

PS: I'll also take Japanese and Russian men.

Ziotic

Medalist
I’ve never done one before, but I would be happy to take on one of the GP in ladies. I’m pretty flexible with time!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Since Ice Dance is my favourite discipline, I would love to have a try and be an Ice Dance scorer. Although I would need some training :)

Thank you, Mohacz. I can certainly put you down for Ice Dance.

And don't worry, training will be provided.

I've scored in the past but probably won't have time to do it now as I'm starting college in a week. :slink:

(I can do Russian and Japanese nationals, though.)

That is no problem, invisiblespiral. Your education is certainly more important. All the best with college.

Wait, IDF is during Thanksgiving. I'll take dance, since that tends to be more chill.

Sure, that'll work. It'll be great to have you back.

PS: I'll also take Japanese and Russian men.

In what way...? :devil:

Seriously, though, that's great, I'll pencil you in for them. (This is amazing - I wasn't expecting to be making arrangements for the Nationals Game so soon!)

And I can do Russian Nationals ladies (Christmas Break)

How did I know you would want to do the Russian Ladies, Spirals for Miles...? :laugh: That's OK, I won't stop you from scoring your favourite girls.

So, that's the Singles skating at Russian Nationals filled up before the GP Series even starts! Wow! :bow:

I’ve never done one before, but I would be happy to take on one of the GP in ladies. I’m pretty flexible with time!

Don't worry, Ziotic, you'll get the hang of it no problem, thanks to Samkrut's algorithm.

We're getting a lot of volunteers for Ladies (there is another I got via PM as well the ones in here), so I'll have to start working on the timetable earlier than I expected so as to keep track of all of them.

Count me in for the GP scoring! Any discipline will be fine

Thank you, ines42575. It'll be great to have you back on the team.

CaroLiza_fan

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Can I do skate America ladies? I live right by Everett, wa, so would be able to get results easily. (Also I have nbc sports gold)

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Don't worry, Ziotic, you'll get the hang of it no problem, thanks to Samkrut's algorithm.

We're getting a lot of volunteers for Ladies

I can e-mail a sample spreadsheet with the algorithm to all interested parties. It was a learning curve for me, indeed, but finally I managed to process 100 scores in 1 hour (it took 2 hours in the beginning). With only 10 posts per page it will take about 20% longer.

If there are many interested people in scoring GP ladies I can give out the "privilege" for my usual 3 stages and the final but only to those who promise to post the winners within an hour after the competition ends. The algorithm enables immediate results once you typed all the predictions into a spreadsheet.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
CaroLiza_fan, as usual I am eager to help out with scoring, whatever will be needed. If someone will take on Senior GP game, I can also help in what's needed.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I can e-mail a sample spreadsheet with the algorithm to all interested parties. It was a learning curve for me, indeed, but finally I managed to process 100 scores in 1 hour (it took 2 hours in the beginning). With only 10 posts per page it will take about 20% longer.

If there are many interested people in scoring GP ladies I can give out the "privilege" for my usual 3 stages and the final but only to those who promise to post the winners within an hour after the competition ends. The algorithm enables immediate results once you typed all the predictions into a spreadsheet.

Samkrut, it is no exaggeration to say that your algorithm has proved invaluable. Every time we get new scorers to a Predictions Game I am running, one of the first things I do is to send out your instructions, as well as samples of previous score sheets.

As for the Ladies, I will send out a PM to all the people that have asked to do them in about a week or so (there is a reason why I want to leave it to then, but that is another matter). But, if we look at all three Predictions Games as a whole, there are plenty of Ladies slots to go around everybody who wants to score them. So, I am sure everybody can be accommodated without eating into your usual slots.

CaroLiza_fan, as usual I am eager to help out with scoring, whatever will be needed. If someone will take on Senior GP game, I can also help in what's needed.

Thank you NoNameFace. I am delighted to have you on board again.

And I hope you have a great time in Bratislava this week.

Seeing as I am not being able to do the full TV Schedule posts any more due to changes to the Eurosport Player website, I might just run the GP Game myself. But, if anybody else wants to, I won't stand in their way. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

tabsy

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hi - I'd love to help (any discipline, though preferably men, pairs or ladies) if help is still needed. I would need to be taught how to do it though as I was only a casual follower of figure skating last season so didn't participate, but have since become much more active.

I am attending IdF in person so I don't know if that will be a help or a hindrance in scoring that?

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I am attending IdF in person so I don't know if that will be a help or a hindrance in scoring that?

Of course, a hindrance. I never score CoR - you want to enjoy the show, may be write a live report, may be read what people think they saw on TV rather than enter the data into a spreadsheet.