2018-19 Canadian Ladies' figure skating | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian Ladies' figure skating

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Has Osmond retired or just tak n this year off? I realize she has done the best she thinks she can but I like her better than the Russian girls. I wish she’d compete another year or two.

And now that Orser has superstar Russian lady I wonder how this affects Gabby’s confidence? I used to tout her confidence and predicted she would shine and she did. Now she is struggling. What’s it like for her now to skate in the shadow of Evgenia? Will she get the attention she needs at the CC? Or does she train more with another coach? I hope this is the year Alaine shakes off the nerves and skates like we know she can. With the battles all between Japanese and aRussian girls we have to have at least one Northamerican lady getting some great scores.

I have not lost faith in Gabby but she did not look in shape at her recent challenger outing. I loved her dark brown hair- didn’t recognize her really with her new look. I must say I know costumes are not all that but I hated her costumes. Where is her huge triple toe triple toe gone? I really hope Alaine does well this year. I suspect she will quit if she falls apart in her big competitions this year.

Go ladies! I’m still watching.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Originally Osmond was just going to skip the Grand Prix series, but last I checked, she's skipping the competitive year altogether.

This leaves the Canadian title open, likely to Daleman. I don't really see a problem with her and Evgenia being trained by Orser. He's used to training Javi and Yuzuru at the same time, so he knows how to give competitors the time they need.

I'm not really worried about Daleman's placement at the US Classic. On top of being early in the season, the altitude affected everyone at the competition and her jumps in particular need to generate a lot of power to complete so she was among the skaters likely most affected by it.

TGee

Record Breaker
we cover all these items in the Canadian season thread.
I'm willing to pursue a focused discussion here.

And I'm going to add Aurora Cotop into the mix. She got's the magic and is to me the new one to watch for this quadrennial.

Junior Women's champion in 2017, Aurora skated domestically as a senior for the first season last year. It seemed a bit of a tough season as she adapted to her maturing physique. But she placed 5th at senior nationals....earning her a berth on the national team.

This season marks a bigger transition. She moved from the Toronto area to train in Edmonton with Ravi Walia at the beginning of the summer. It's long-term change in coach and training site.

So, while Aurora has one JGP assignment, her focus is now on seniors.

With Kaetlyn working closely with Ravi on seminars, as well as working up new jump combinations, Angela Wang arriving from the US as another new training mate, and Aurora established there, Ice Palace will be a happening place for elite ladies. Let's hope they can make it a positive place for all three.

rain

Record Breaker
I'm willing to pursue a focused discussion here.

And I'm going to add Aurora Cotop into the mix. She got's the magic and is to me the new one to watch for this quadrennial.

Junior Women's champion in 2017, Aurora skated domestically as a senior for the first season last year. It seemed a bit of a tough season as she adapted to her maturing physique. But she placed 5th at senior nationals....earning her a berth on the national team.

This season marks a bigger transition. She moved from the Toronto area to train in Edmonton with Ravi Walia at the beginning of the summer. It's long-term change in coach and training site.

So, while Aurora has one JGP assignment, her focus is now on seniors.

With Kaetlyn working closely with Ravi on seminars, as well as working up new jump combinations, Angela Wang arriving from the US as another new training mate, and Aurora established there, Ice Palace will be a happening place for elite ladies. Let's hope they can make it a positive place for all three.

I always wondered why more elite or second tier skaters or up and comers didn't look at moving to Ravi. Kaetlyn has so many great qualities, and even before last season, significant success. He always seemed like a really supportive coach as well, good for mental game. I'm thrilled that more ladies have moved there and will hopefully work on developing some of the superlative skills I've so admired in Kaetlyn.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well in that case,

let's mention the winner of CQE : Veronik Mallet, former national medallist... who had a huge injury resulting in 2 years, yes.. 2 years off circuit.

She came back to the competition this summer, without a lutz nor a flip.. but managed to skate relatively clean at CQE to win the title.

Larkyn didn't seem ready at the BC event, which was her first and only outing this summer.

Sarah Temura is a hot mess and needs a change of coaching immediately. I had never seen her skate so poorly technically at the BC event.

and finally, I always keep Alicia Pineault as a wild card. She has everything she needs to be top 5 in Canada... i am not sure what's not clicking yet in her case.

lusterfan

Final Flight
Thoughts on Kaetlyn Osmond?

Kaetlyn Osmond has been my long-time favorite since 2015 so I was thrilled to see her success the past season (Gold at Worlds and Olympics, and Bronze at the Olympics).

Just wanted your thoughts and opinions about her! I love her big jumps, speed across the ice, and elegant musicality. I think her positives are hurt by her notoriety for always popping jumps all the time. People usually complain about her being gifted high PCS, but I personally believe she deserves them, relative to most other skaters. All in all, I'm glad she came back strong from her injuries!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
She has charm. She's always had this utterly charming personality on the ice. And she doesn't just jump jump jump and look stricken. She performs. I'm a big fan.

WhiteProphet

On the Ice
I really like her, lost count of how many times I watched her SP this year, one of my favourites :luv17:
Don't mind of what people say about her PCS, it's just one specific category that can easily be ignored ;)

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Kaetlyn was undoubtedly one of the leading personalities in the ladies FS during the last quad. Saying that I find a lot of issues in her skating similar to what other posters find in top Russian skaters. But it has been all said to be repeated. With such I do not see the point of this thread in the edge rather than fan fest.

Fluture

Record Breaker
She‘s cool. I like her. She‘s not my favorite but I adore her jumps and general quality of skating and I wish her all the best. :)

TGee

Record Breaker
With Autumn Classic International just around the corner, let's give a bit more focus to Larkyn Austman and Alicia Pineault who have the assignments for Canada.

We don't expect to see them on the podium, but we do hope for progress.

Larkyn is an interesting case.

A late developer among late developers, out of a smaller club in Coquitlam (metro Vancouver Area), Larkyn was surprised and in many ways unprepared to represent Canada as the 3rd ranked woman after Nationals. This year she says she's learned never to say it never can happen, and be ready for it.

She's been working with Mark Pillay as her choreographer. We saw potential in her new programs, especially the SP, at BC/YK summer skate in August. But she had not mastered them at that point and her triples were unstable.

Alicia also was not as far along in summer as we'd like. But she's had more than a month of training since. Hopefully we'll see more of the polished skating that Quebec ladies are known for.

Canadianskatingfan

On the Ice
well in that case,

let's mention the winner of CQE : Veronik Mallet, former national medallist... who had a huge injury resulting in 2 years, yes.. 2 years off circuit.

She came back to the competition this summer, without a lutz nor a flip.. but managed to skate relatively clean at CQE to win the title.

Larkyn didn't seem ready at the BC event, which was her first and only outing this summer.

Sarah Temura is a hot mess and needs a change of coaching immediately. I had never seen her skate so poorly technically at the BC event.

and finally, I always keep Alicia Pineault as a wild card. She has everything she needs to be top 5 in Canada... i am not sure what's not clicking yet in her case.

Veronik posted a 3F and 3Lz on her instagram story a couple of weeks ago just before the CQE. She can do them just was likely not ready to compete them. I wish that they had left a spot open at Skate Canada because she definitely showed she's in the running this year at CQE.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I have admired Kaetlyn since I first saw her skate at Nationals at 16, and loved the coach-student relationship with Ravi. He was instrumental in her come back after injury, convincing her that she could, when she felt broken and was a no-show for her initial post injury lesson.

We are starting to see other more elite skaters recognize and are moving to Ravi, which he so deserves.

TGee

Record Breaker
Veronik posted a 3F and 3Lz on her instagram story a couple of weeks ago just before the CQE. She can do them just was likely not ready to compete them. I wish that they had left a spot open at Skate Canada because she definitely showed she's in the running this year at CQE.
I'm definitely hoping that Skate Canada will give Veronik and some of the others opportunities for out of country experience at some of the later Challenger Bs this season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

well that's even better than I thought! That's wonderful. I thought that perhaps the jumps were still not there because of the injury... glad to see that she had relearned all her triples and just waiting to feel better to include them back in the program.

And yes... I agree : Skate Canada being in Quebec, and Osmond being away, Canada could have kept the spot open for her.... at the same time, I can imagine the outcry of the fans from the other skaters saying it's unfair as the other girls earned it by getting on the national team.... I am happy they are sending Veronik to Finlandia.... I expect she needs minimums for worlds as there is a chance she is going to rank in the top 3 this year. (I would say 2 or 3)

Welcome, Lusterfan, and thanks for the thread. Kaetlyn certainly had a career-defining season last year. To me, there was always a sense of larger-than-life panache to her skating.

Last edited:

iorii

On the Ice
She has personality on the ice. But rather than artistry, I associate her with jumps more.

nadster

Final Flight
well in that case,

I think another one who could make the national team is Sarah-Maude Blanchard. No 3-3's yet but she has a complete set of triples and is at least consistent. She is planning to compete as a senior at nationals.

As for Tamura, I wish that a lot of skaters leave Mcleod. Mcleod's ladies have all either stagnated ( I would claim the likes of Emily Bausback has stagnated ) . Tamura has regressed a lot and you can't even say she looks like she is taking a step back ( ie real attempts at changing technique ) to go 2 steps forward. Mcleod does not teach strong technique and it catches up with her students eventually.

Pineault is a pleasant skater but often succumbs to nerves. There is also the fact that often her programs all have the same look. She needs to expand her expressive range.

It will be hard to say where Cotop will be at nationals. She is clearly in the one step back to go two steps forward stage with Ravi at the moment. Perhaps the payoff might not show this season but will show next season.

Ulrica

On the Ice
I didn't really enjoy her skating much until this past season; her SP was magnificent, plus I love her jumps, they are a joy to watch. I was really looking forward to see her this season, so I was bummed to hear she will skip the Grand Prix series. I really think the best is yet to come from her, she has potential to develop more as a skater so I hope she will stick around. Also, she is very beautiful.