Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: 2018-19 Canadian Ladies' figure skating

GS Supporter

0 Not allowed!
    It's great to be supportive of skaters. But it's also wise to be realistic and not burden the skaters with expectations beyond their capabilities. Larkyn is lovely, but she is not Kaetlyn, and Alison is not Joannie.

You Know I'm a FS Fan... BillNeal's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Because Alicia's BV is so low, 165-170 might be a reasonable projection for a clean program. 175-180 is pie in the sky---she'd have to get PCS in the high 7s, and as a newbie to Worlds, that isn't going to happen.
    For illustrative purposes, lets look at her potential scores for clean programs by looking at her better SP and better FS of the season.

Skate Canada 2018
    Alicia stepped out of her second triple toe and scored 59+. Let's say she lands it cleanly and gets slightly positive GOE. Her score would have been close to 61.

ACI 2018
    She got 107+ with 3Lo< and fall on the 3S.She lost 1.34 points in BV for the UR and 1 point from the fall deduction. The difference in slightly positive positive GOE and negative GOE is 3-4 points combined for both jumps. Her score would have been 112-114 without these mistakes.

For illustrative purposes, adding these two together would get 173-175 assuming the same PCS, which were mid to high 6's at these two events. She just needs low 7's, not high 7's for PCS, to get to 175-180, which is very doable if she is cleaner than SCI SP and ACI FS.

GS Supporter

0 Not allowed!
    That is a huge IF (skating two clean programs), seeing as she rarely skates a clean SP and has yet to skate a clean FS.
    Judges like to see consistency before they give out 7s, and that takes time and experience; as a newbie to Worlds, Alicia would likely start out in the low to mid 6s.

3 Not allowed!
    How I wish some had the same respect for both Joannie and Kaetlyn, while they competed.

Being a fan after the fact, does not make up for being a cynic and a constant critic throughout an athlete's career in their growth and development years. History has a way of exposing some for having shown a lack grace towards others, ...and will again.

You Know I'm a FS Fan... BillNeal's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmond4gold View Post
    How I wish some had the same respect for both Joannie and Kaetlyn, while they competed.

Being a fan after the fact, does not make up for being a cynic and a constant critic throughout an athlete's career in their growth and development years. History has a way of exposing some for having shown a lack grace towards others, ...and will again.
    I was recently checking out the Worlds Ladies thread and it was quite amusing how unsuspecting some were. Predictably, they turned their defensive mechanisms on and scrambled to find ways to discount KO's win. Unfortunately for them, they had little to go on. One of the more sodium filled remarks involves them criticizing KO for possibly being happy of her victory. I mean is it that shocking that an athlete is happy that she will cap off a podium filled season by winning one of the biggest prizes of the sport ? But I guess there were some that haven't realized that as Kaetlyn improved, there was less and less for them to pick on and the only way they can rebut is to twist things around. You'd think that these people will learn from their past actions by now but apparently not, as they always try to strive to have that last word...

Tripping on the Podium

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BillNeal View Post
    I was recently checking out the Worlds Ladies thread and it was quite amusing how unsuspecting some were. Predictably, they turned their defensive mechanisms on and scrambled to find ways to discount KO's win. Unfortunately for them, they had little to go on. One of the more sodium filled remarks involves them criticizing KO for possibly being happy of her victory. I mean is it that shocking that an athlete is happy that she will cap off a podium filled season by winning one of the biggest prizes of the sport ? But I guess there were some that haven't realized that as Kaetlyn improved, there was less and less for them to pick on and the only way they can rebut is to twist things around. You'd think that these people will learn from their past actions by now but apparently not, as they always try to strive to have that last word...
    I cannot tell you the amount of shade KO got when she first burst on the scene. Also endless negative comparisons with an American skater of her generation who has since faced a downward spiral.

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    In this challenge competition I liked Aurora Cotop, though her FS was a bit rough for jumps, and she is still afraid to try 3Lz or even 3F. I know she can do all triples, and 3-3s, but may be she is still re-working with her jumping technique and adjust to her new body. I hope she will do batter latter, as I guess Ravi may help her with building her confidence.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6