2018-19 Canadian Ladies' figure skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian Ladies' figure skating

Ziotic

Medalist
It’s funny that although Canada doesn’t have the depth of some other nations there are definitely 4/5 women trying to get those last two spots for worlds.

I hope they can all get their minimums and fight it out at nationals.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Well, I guess this should be reserved for positive comments. So I'll say that she has high jumps, which is good. And she's found a style of performing that she's been able to make work for her.

mrrice

Record Breaker
She has everything a skater desires. She has gorgeous jumps, beautiful posture, and she looks like a movie star. Fans love her because she's sweet as can be. I love her.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've noticed that many of McLeod's skaters don't seem to know what to do with their hands/arms, so they sort of flop around aimlessly without either adding much expression to the program or supporting their jump technique. The ladies all seem to underrotate, some to a drastic extent. Bausback and Tamura would do well to find new coaching.

TGee

Record Breaker
I didn't really enjoy her skating much until this past season; her SP was magnificent, plus I love her jumps, they are a joy to watch. I was really looking forward to see her this season, so I was bummed to hear she will skip the Grand Prix series. I really think the best is yet to come from her, she has potential to develop more as a skater so I hope she will stick around. Also, she is very beautiful.
Kaetlyn has confirmed that she's skipping the season.

In addition to the thank you tour, she's traveling with Ravi doing seminars with young skaters and their coaches. So, she's doing her part in motivating future generations. And just by being there she's demonstrating why girls need to get their jumps and skate-specific skills younger (as she did).

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnyp0W-lsiO/?hl=en

However she's clearly upping her tech levels and building on basics while she's doing other thing. Rumours and musings of retirement seem to be no more than that.

Here are some gifs of new jump combos and entries she's working on:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnZO0D7gg3y/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmBq_20HBw6/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm1MmVHl00T/?hl=en

TGee

Record Breaker
I've noticed that many of McLeod's skaters don't seem to know what to do with their hands/arms, so they sort of flop around aimlessly without either adding much expression to the program or supporting their jump technique. The ladies all seem to underrotate, some to a drastic extent. Bausback and Tamura would do well to find new coaching.
Fair points. I would add that her skaters have weak skating skills compared to other Canadians and tend to slow down noticeably before jumps.

And it's not as though there is a gap in ice dance coaching in the Vancouver area that could be accessed to help with arms, SS and expression. In fact, the other side of the house at Champs, where McLeod coaches, could help.

Likewise Ted Barton, whose day job is Executive Director of the British Columbia /Yukon section, clearly knows what kind of training can be used to tighten up air positions and improve technique.

But we don't see any changes happening. It's unfortunate because McLeod was once ahead on the technical side, but just hasn't progressed.

It's a significant issue when one considers that 4 years ago Skate Canada promoted that there were 3 international elite training centres in Canada - Toronto (TCC), Montreal (pairs, dance) and Champs on the west coast.

At this point, if one could claim a third, it would be the Ice Palace in Edmonton, not Champs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think another one who could make the national team is Sarah-Maude Blanchard. No 3-3's yet but she has a complete set of triples and is at least consistent. She is planning to compete as a senior at nationals.

As for Tamura, I wish that a lot of skaters leave Mcleod. Mcleod's ladies have all either stagnated ( I would claim the likes of Emily Bausback has stagnated ) . Tamura has regressed a lot and you can't even say she looks like she is taking a step back ( ie real attempts at changing technique ) to go 2 steps forward. Mcleod does not teach strong technique and it catches up with her students eventually.

Pineault is a pleasant skater but often succumbs to nerves. There is also the fact that often her programs all have the same look. She needs to expand her expressive range.

It will be hard to say where Cotop will be at nationals. She is clearly in the one step back to go two steps forward stage with Ravi at the moment. Perhaps the payoff might not show this season but will show next season.

count me in as a fan of sarah maude....i have always liked tall and powerful ladies

Netta

Rinkside
Last season Kaetlyn got three major medals of Team Olympic event, Individuals Olympics and Worlds. Imo it's a peak result for her career, an excellent result btw others just dream about. This FS year seems to be much easier with other strong ladies rebuilded with another coach or going through the puberty, so skipping exactly this season means she's really tired of endless hard training and maintening her competitive physical conditions.
Next season (19-20) seems to be much harder because of quad ladies incoming to senior events. So it will be a big question for Kaetlyn to stay or to finish career.

TGee

Record Breaker
Last season Kaetlyn got three major medals of Team Olympic event, Individuals Olympics and Worlds. Imo it's a peak result for her career, an excellent result btw others just dream about. This FS year seems to be much easier with other strong ladies rebuilded with another coach or going through the puberty, so skipping exactly this season means she's really tired of endless hard training and maintening her competitive physical conditions.
Next season (19-20) seems to be much harder because of quad ladies incoming to senior events. So it will be a big question for Kaetlyn to stay or to finish career.
To me, working on her tech while doing a few other things is smart strategy.

Kaetlyn spent two years climbing back from a near career-ending injury.

She has physical and psychological work to do to be ready to take her competitive skating further.

The new jump combinations and entries are crucial as they had need constrained by her continuing rehabilitation from the double leg/ankle fractures.

It's amazing that her coach and choreographer were able to work out transitions, entries and jump technique to spare the healing leg, but they need to move past that.

Likewise, on the psychological side, she agreed to getting sports psychological therapy as part of her program to return after the injury, but she was still skating with fear this season.

Getting more therapy, doing seminars and shows, and spending time with her guy (pairs skater Trennt Michaud in Ontario), are likely needed to both show her that she her life won't be over after competitive skating, but also that she can earn income.

Here's a CBC 'Inside an Athlete's Head' feature on "Kaetlyn Osmond's Fight to Heal and Skate Again" done just before the Olympics:

https://youtu.be/T8doCAUdSss

Definitely worth watching.

TGee

Record Breaker
count me in as a fan of sarah maude....i have always liked tall and powerful ladies
Sarah-Maude reminds me of some of the Canadian Junior men - a diamond in the rough.

I really hope that being on the NextGen team will bring her the support she needs to take her skating to a higher level, with packaging and choreography that suits her bold athletic skating.

StephenGfan

Final Flight
Not a huge KO fan but her SP is one of my favourite ladies programs of all time. SP/FS combined.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Can one not be her fan yet favorite her sp? Contradiction I don’t get.

Anyway this is all Canadian ladies.

Who thinks Alaine can best Gabby this year? I haven’t seen Alaine yet. If only we could inject confidence like a b 12 shot....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Can one not be her fan yet favorite her sp? Contradiction I don’t get.

Anyway this is all Canadian ladies.

Who thinks Alaine can best Gabby this year? I haven’t seen Alaine yet. If only we could inject confidence like a b 12 shot....

I think Gabby will be the best Canadian lady this year, in absence of Kaetlyn... however, if you want to see Alaine she competed this summer. You should be able to find her programs in the summer series (canadian summer events). Or , you can wait until next week, she will be at Nebelhorn

rain

Record Breaker

It's not just that, the basic skating isn't there with so many of McLeod's skaters it's clear she doesn't teach it, and doesn't get anyone in who will. So many of her skaters hit a ceiling because they are so. darn. slow. Because of their lack of speed they will simply never reach the top tier. From Kevin Reynolds to Mira Leung to Sarah Tamura and on and on. On the plus side, they do tend to be mentally tough.

Isn't Patrick Chan setting up a school in Vancouver? Maybe he can teach some basics to the B.C. kids.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Canada'sadiesareain a bit of a lull with the at least temporary loss of Osmond. Gabby seems in a bad funk as is Alaine and Larkyn has not developed as fast as hoped. Missing two freeskateseven with lts ofOlympias missing at this year's worlds is not great Aurora maaybe the only shining light It almost seems the big issue is will Canada's ladies hold on to two spots and actually have all ladies qualify or the free skate. Too bad Joannie is to busy with med school (does she even skate any more???) However, Gabby could still pull it togehter.

TGee

Record Breaker
It's not just that, the basic skating isn't there with so many of McLeod's skaters it's clear she doesn't teach it, and doesn't get anyone in who will. So many of her skaters hit a ceiling because they are so. darn. slow. Because of their lack of speed they will simply never reach the top tier. From Kevin Reynolds to Mira Leung to Sarah Tamura and on and on. On the plus side, they do tend to be mentally tough.

Isn't Patrick Chan setting up a school in Vancouver? Maybe he can teach some basics to the B.C. kids.
I think you hit it precisely, "doesn't get anyone in who will."

Clearly, there are people who have skating skills in the Vancouver area and can teach them.

The Firus brothers (Liam and Shane) both got their start at the Vancouver Skating Club and they both have great SS.

And Champs has a solid ice dance program running at 8 rinks too.

So, l don't see what difference Patrick would make unless Joanne McLeod is willing to change the way she works to reach out and bring in the coaching skills that aren't her strengths.

But it's tough seeing a series of young skaters hit the wall and stop progressing.

Even getting more competition within BC/YK section from skaters at the Kelowna skating club such as Emma Bulawka, hasn't seemed to get the message through.

And I would put Emma on the promising list too. She had a tough outing at JGP Linz placing 9th, but she's got a lot of great qualities in her jumps and skills.

Ziotic

Medalist
I honestly have a hard time understanding why skate Canada doesn’t step in and do something about Champs.

On top of that, how are the skaters not seeing the problem and looking elsewhere for coaching.

I agree with what everyone else here is saying so I just don’t understand why TPTB just turn a blind eye.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't think Emma had a tough outing though... she missed one jump in the LP... iirc... the competition is just a bit more advanced in other countries at that age. I agree with you that she is extremely promising. She is my junior girl discovery (in Canada) of this year.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
It is hard at times for someone to recognize their own flaws, but after Emanual, Mira, Kevin, Sarah, and Emily to name a few, surely McLeod must have the self-awareness to know that while she might be a great motivator, she does not possess the technical coaching abilities to bring skaters to another level.

It might be time for those around her to say, ...we need an Intervention!