2018-19 Canadian Ladies' figure skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian Ladies' figure skating

TGee

Record Breaker
Just read that Mariah Bell is replacing Gabby Daleman at Japan Open. Is Gabby injured?
Not clear if it's injury or a flare up of her recently diagnosed, and chronic health issue (gastrointestinal).

Gabby's been talking about the illness and how important it is to now know what she is dealing with.

She's written in her social media about how she's had to change her diet as part the management protocol. Nutritional approaches are newer but as an athlete she would need to do as much as she could with those before using medication.

It sounds as though some of this management depends on individual responses and has to be worked out by trial and error.

We may see more health ups and downs for a bit, but that says nothing about her long term competitiveness.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Wishing Alicia a great GP debut, Véronik to continue the momentum, and Alaine to build on her SA performance! A great trio of ladies representing at SC this week :).

TGee

Record Breaker
Wishing Alicia a great GP debut, Véronik to continue the momentum, and Alaine to build on her SA performance! A great trio of ladies representing at SC this week :).
Alaine is usually a strong SP contender, it didn't go her way Saturday, but I hope she can show it to the home crowd in Laval. I felt she did great work keeping it together on the FS and putting the SP behind her.

Veronik has an opportunity to step into the limelight in her home province. I'm looking forward to that, and to Alicia's continuing development.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Hope Larkyn has a good season's debut at BC sectionals this weekend :).

TGee

Record Breaker
Hope Larkyn has a good season's debut at BC sectionals this weekend :).
Agreed.

And I look forward to seeing how her programs have evolved since August.

Mark Pillay did some good work with her. It's unfortunate she wasn't able to compete earlier in the season.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Agreed.

And I look forward to seeing how her programs have evolved since August.

Mark Pillay did some good work with her. It's unfortunate she wasn't able to compete earlier in the season.

She put on a solid showing at sectionals:

SP: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ww9lu?start=2814
FS: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6wy7ul?start=3559

Nice projection in both programs. Good speed on the spins. Problems with URs on a few of the jumps but overall good performances, especially the FS. I appreciate the selection of music cuts in her POTO and there are some stunning moments in her program. I like her step sequence especially, expressive to the sweeping music and the spiral-twizzle exit from it. She looked very happy with her PB in the FS :)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I like the programs (she seems to like Broadway warhorses in the free skate; if she goes to 4CC, at least, she's assured of getting to do one internationally this year).

TGee

Record Breaker
She put on a solid showing at sectionals:

SP: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ww9lu?start=2814
FS: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6wy7ul?start=3559

Nice projection in both programs. Good speed on the spins. Problems with URs on a few of the jumps but overall good performances, especially the FS. I appreciate the selection of music cuts in her POTO and there are some stunning moments in her program. I like her step sequence especially, expressive to the sweeping music and the spiral-twizzle exit from it. She looked very happy with her PB in the FS :)
Isn't the POTO a return to her program of a couple of seasons ago (with adjustments for the new requirements)?

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Isn't the POTO a return to her program of a couple of seasons ago (with adjustments for the new requirements)?

You're right, TGee. I actually haven't been following Larkyn until these two seasons, so I probably did watch her 2017 FS before but may have forgot. I just watched her 2017 Nationals performance and her expression and musicality has noticeably improved from then. I'm glad she is repeating this program and trying to build upon it. She has a good chance to get a spot on the World team to show it internationally at 4CC and Worlds.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

It is TGee. She had some lovely moments in both skates and good footwork and spins. The La Linda looks and her outfits are quite the combination.

TGee

Record Breaker
It is TGee. She had some lovely moments in both skates and good footwork and spins. The La Linda looks and her outfits are quite the combination.
The thing is she had a new and quite promising program from Marc Pilay. Although she was a good way from mastering it before her injury.

One can understand that it made sense to go back to a familiar FS given the lost time due to injury. But balancing that is the risk that an old program, with old body memory will keep her stuck in the unreliable triple jump technique that she spent the off-season in Colorado to overcome.

Anyway, the new FS was promising. Perhaps she'll get back to it next season.

Canadianskatingfan

On the Ice
Larkyn is #2 canadian lady in my opinion, behind Gabby! Her programs are a gem!!

Honestly, I don't know if Gabby can come back strong enough THIS season to be considered the #1 lady. I think nationals is going to be a battle for the title. For me the front runners are:

1. Alaine Chartrand
2. Veronik Mallet (if her injury is not severe)
3. Gabby Daleman/Larkyn Austman
4. Gabby Daleman/Larkyn Austman
5. Alicia Pineault

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If Gabby feels well enough to compete at Nationals, she'll win. Her technical base value and reputation components are just too much for anybody else to match unless she pops everything.

Canadianskatingfan

On the Ice
If Gabby feels well enough to compete at Nationals, she'll win. Her technical base value and reputation components are just too much for anybody else to match unless she pops everything.

I really hope she comes back strong, for the sake of canadian ladies skating. However it will also be her first competition back from her break and I'm not so confident that she will be consistent. However she really only needs to do 5 triples or so to win nationals thanks to her GOE and PCs

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope Gabby does it and comes back with a vengeance. I fear the other ladies will go to worlds and none might make the freeskate looking at Larkyn's 2018 wolymic and world result. Canada could be down to one lady which would be sad if both Kaetlyn and Gabby come back with a desire to get back on the podium.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Larkyn looked great today at Skate Canada Challenge: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6y6vlj?start=13460

Although she hasn't yet brought back her 3F into the SP, all her jumps were landed cleanly, fully rotated with nice running edges (she had some < at sectionals). She was relaxed, skated with good speed, and had nice spins. She looked quite confident with the presentation and in selling the program. I liked how she used the accents in the music. Larkyn seemed quite happy with her score of 62.22, which I believe is a PB.