2018-19 Canadian Ladies' figure skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian Ladies' figure skating

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's great to be supportive of skaters. But it's also wise to be realistic and not burden the skaters with expectations beyond their capabilities. Larkyn is lovely, but she is not Kaetlyn, and Alison is not Joannie.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Because Alicia's BV is so low, 165-170 might be a reasonable projection for a clean program. 175-180 is pie in the sky---she'd have to get PCS in the high 7s, and as a newbie to Worlds, that isn't going to happen.

For illustrative purposes, lets look at her potential scores for clean programs by looking at her better SP and better FS of the season.

Skate Canada 2018
Alicia stepped out of her second triple toe and scored 59+. Let's say she lands it cleanly and gets slightly positive GOE. Her score would have been close to 61.

ACI 2018
She got 107+ with 3Lo< and fall on the 3S.She lost 1.34 points in BV for the UR and 1 point from the fall deduction. The difference in slightly positive positive GOE and negative GOE is 3-4 points combined for both jumps. Her score would have been 112-114 without these mistakes.

For illustrative purposes, adding these two together would get 173-175 assuming the same PCS, which were mid to high 6's at these two events. She just needs low 7's, not high 7's for PCS, to get to 175-180, which is very doable if she is cleaner than SCI SP and ACI FS.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That is a huge IF (skating two clean programs), seeing as she rarely skates a clean SP and has yet to skate a clean FS.
Judges like to see consistency before they give out 7s, and that takes time and experience; as a newbie to Worlds, Alicia would likely start out in the low to mid 6s.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
How I wish some had the same respect for both Joannie and Kaetlyn, while they competed.

Being a fan after the fact, does not make up for being a cynic and a constant critic throughout an athlete's career, in their growth and development years. History has a way of exposing some for having shown a lack grace towards others, ...and will again.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
How I wish some had the same respect for both Joannie and Kaetlyn, while they competed.

Being a fan after the fact, does not make up for being a cynic and a constant critic throughout an athlete's career in their growth and development years. History has a way of exposing some for having shown a lack grace towards others, ...and will again.

I was recently checking out the Worlds Ladies thread and it was quite amusing how unsuspecting some were. Predictably, they turned their defensive mechanisms on and scrambled to find ways to discount KO's win. Unfortunately for them, they had little to go on. One of the more sodium filled remarks involves them criticizing KO for possibly being happy of her victory. I mean is it that shocking that an athlete is happy that she will cap off a podium filled season by winning one of the biggest prizes of the sport :scratch3:? But I guess there were some that haven't realized that as Kaetlyn improved, there was less and less for them to pick on and the only way they can rebut is to twist things around. You'd think that these people will learn from their past actions by now but apparently not, as they always try to strive to have that last word...

emdee

Final Flight
I was recently checking out the Worlds Ladies thread and it was quite amusing how unsuspecting some were. Predictably, they turned their defensive mechanisms on and scrambled to find ways to discount KO's win. Unfortunately for them, they had little to go on. One of the more sodium filled remarks involves them criticizing KO for possibly being happy of her victory. I mean is it that shocking that an athlete is happy that she will cap off a podium filled season by winning one of the biggest prizes of the sport :scratch3:? But I guess there were some that haven't realized that as Kaetlyn improved, there was less and less for them to pick on and the only way they can rebut is to twist things around. You'd think that these people will learn from their past actions by now but apparently not, as they always try to strive to have that last word...

I cannot tell you the amount of shade KO got when she first burst on the scene. Also endless negative comparisons with an American skater of her generation who has since faced a downward spiral.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
In this challenge competition I liked Aurora Cotop, though her FS was a bit rough for jumps, and she is still afraid to try 3Lz or even 3F. I know she can do all triples, and 3-3s, but may be she is still re-working with her jumping technique and adjust to her new body. I hope she will do batter latter, as I guess Ravi may help her with building her confidence.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Good luck to the Canadian ladies who are competing this week at Nationals! I'm glad that we have at least 6 strong contenders for that National podium and those 3 spots for 4CCs/Worlds. An exciting competition to come, I'm sure. And guess who is also at Nationals this week (with a great introduction by Ted) ;): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x70r85h?start=230

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I mean Canada is losing 3 spots in ladies and will likely end up with only one for 2020, which is a shame since it’s in Canada.

I almost think Keatlyn will come back next year and skip GP then do nationals, 4CC and bid adieu to competitive skating on home ice, using the only spot for women (which I’m fine with and feel she deserves).

this would be a dangerous approach I believe history would remind us of Josee Chouinard and her unsuccessful bid.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd rather wait to see what the ladies team looks like before grimly predicting only one spot for next year. If Gabby can make top 10 at Worlds, it's quite possible to hold on to two spots.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Good luck to the Canadian ladies who are competing this week at Nationals! I'm glad that we have at least 6 strong contenders for that National podium and those 3 spots for 4CCs/Worlds. An exciting competition to come, I'm sure. And guess who is also at Nationals this week (with a great introduction by Ted) ;): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x70r85h?start=230

maybe she will feel how much she misses it and COME BACK... ;)

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Hannah Dawson did well coming back from third place to win the junior title, attempting and rotating all 5 triples in the FS, albeit with an edge call on the 3Lz. She was very pleased with her skate. Her FS: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x70ttfc?start=9200

I love her FS. She's definitely improved a lot too. the tech panel was pretty strict - only Hannah and Madeline (the silver medalist) didn't get any < or << calls.

Ziotic

Medalist
I'd rather wait to see what the ladies team looks like before grimly predicting only one spot for next year. If Gabby can make top 10 at Worlds, it's quite possible to hold on to two spots.

Agreed, I posted that under the impression that Gabby wouldn’t be at nationals/worlds.

If she’s in any kind of shape I think she can make top 12 at worlds and I think Alaine can qualify for the free. That would give Canada enough for 2 spots next year.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Now compared to the Russian juniors or the Japanese or Alysa this would not be so good but but still five triples at juniors is good.

Hannah usually does a 2A+3T for her second jumping pass so she likely was going for six triples. Anyway, fully rotating all five different triples is promising and is a good base to build on in juniors.

Keep in mind also that many of the juniors who competed on the JGP are competing in seniors nationally. These ladies include:

Emily Bausback
Sarah-Maude Blanchard
Aurora Cotop
Alison Schumacher

Ones to watch out for in this afternoon's event. Aurora has some of the best skating skills and refinement of the CAN junior ladies while Alison does plan for 7 triples in the FP. Have a look at their performances at Skate Canada Challenge, where they were 2nd in the SP and 1st in the FP, respectively:

Aurora's SP: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6y6vlj?start=3060
Alison's FP: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6y896e?start=13382

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow, it's going to be quite the battle for bronze. Things got really tight for that 3rd Worlds spot (although so far, technical minimums have only been met by Mallet/Chartrand/Daleman). I know she's not in the form she was the last two seasons, but that SP was a huge boost for Daleman, especially with her struggles this season.

I will say it was disappointing that only 4 triple-triples were attempted, and some skaters doing the bare minimum (3L+2T, 3S; or 3S+2T, 3T). I know not every country can be Russian ladies nationals, but I expected more. I suppose it's better to play it smart, even if that means playing it safe. It will make the freeskate interesting because someone can go for broke to get that bronze, and lots of skaters can play spoiler if they do riskier elements.

truthbooth

On the Ice
It warmed my heart to see Gabby skate well today. She was a bit tentative, but she got all the big elements done and overcame what must have been a difficult mental hurdle. Bravo.

Also, props to Skate Canada for allowing her to skip all the media interviews this weekend. Glad to see they’re putting athletes’ health first.

evasorange

Final Flight
I thought Gabby did really well, especially for her first time this season and would put her first anyway but 6 points better the Larkyn? Hmmm idk about that. I was impressed with the coverage her jumps got and they just seemed a bit crisper then Gabby. But both can be proud of what they put out today and I hope they both bring it in the free!