Advice on figure skates: Jackson or Riedell? | Golden Skate

Advice on figure skates: Jackson or Riedell?

Sk8life

Spectator
Okay so I have been in a rut for weeks and I’m really hoping someone can help me.

I am an adult male skater (quite small, 5’7 about 135 lbs), currently in Jackson Mystiques and am supposed to move up to Jackson Freestyles. I was put in a size 7 in Jackson Mystiques and unfortunately was sized wrong, one whole size. I really should be a 6. When I went to try on the Jackson Freestyles, the pro shop highly suggested that I do NOT use Jacksons, as they are apparently for wider feet, and mine are more narrow. They suggested I use Riedells, as they’re more for narrow feet. I was reluctant, so I tried on a Jackson 6.5, had it heat molded and tied the laces (I didn’t do it extremely tight, I didn’t know I was supposed to... oops! Lol), and my heel was lifting as I walked. However, I’m not sure if I tried on a WIDE, or a REGULAR. They then told me that I would probably be a 6 in Jackson Freestyles.

Because they were reluctant to sell me the Jacksons, they suggested I tried on Riedells. SO... they ordered me a 6.5 in Riedells, as apparently they run smaller than Jacksons...(??) I decided I also wanted to try a Jackson Freestyle and ordered a size 6 REGULAR.

I am very reluctant to order Riedells for 2 main reasons: 1) they lack the support the Jackson Freestyles have, and 2) they’re made more for beginners (not to mention, Kwan tried them years ago and HATED them).

So, this is where you all come in.... I need to know.... is my foot really too narrow for a Jackson? Are they really too wide for me? I honestly don’t want to do the Riedells, especially if they’re for beginners. I’ve been skating a little over 6 months and am currently doing Waltz, Salchow, Toe Loop, Half Flip, and Half Lutz (in mystiques, believe it or not LOL). They’re extremely broken down its awful, not to mention a size too big!

Should I go with the Jackson or Riedell? Was I wrong for ordering the size 6 Jackson? Should I have done a 6.5 regular for Jackson... if I didn’t tie them as tight as they could have been? All the pro shops I’ve spoken to have suggested I NOT use Jacksons, but all coaches (and even a Jackson rep) have told me my feet are fine for them. Help, please!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am very reluctant to order Riedells for 2 main reasons: 1) they lack the support the Jackson Freestyles have, and 2) they’re made more for beginners (not to mention, Kwan tried them years ago and HATED them).
This makes no sense whatsoever. (1) Both Jackson and Riedell offer a large line of boots, ranging from those suitable for beginners to those suitable for elite competitors. (2) Both Jackson and Riedell offer a wide range of stiffness, ranging from mush to sufficient support for quads. So in either manufacturer's line, you pick a model suitable for your needs. (3) What does Kwan's needs in boots have to do with your needs?

Your fitter should be able to take the appropriate measurements and tracings, send them off to Jackson and Riedell, and see what they recommend in a fit.

Sk8life

Spectator
Hence, my dire need for advice..... lol. Again, they’re recommending that I do not use Jackson’s because apparently they’re for skaters with wider feet so.... I don’t know maybe the fitters don’t know what they’re talking about? They’re recommending Riedells because they (apparently) tend to be better for skaters with more narrow feet. And when I tried the Jackson on that was a 6.5, my heel was lifting when I walked. However I didn’t tie the skates extremely tight so, I don’t know, maybe that could have affected it?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Hence, my dire need for advice..... lol. Again, they’re recommending that I do not use Jackson’s because apparently they’re for skaters with wider feet so.... I don’t know maybe the fitters don’t know what they’re talking about? They’re recommending Riedells because they (apparently) tend to be better for skaters with more narrow feet. And when I tried the Jackson on that was a 6.5, my heel was lifting when I walked. However I didn’t tie the skates extremely tight so, I don’t know, maybe that could have affected it?

No, it’s your coach who is wrong. Your fitters sound like they know what they’re talking about. The problem is that you don’t seem to trust them.

Ange

Rinkside
If the skate fits right, it should fit snugly in the sense that you can feel all the sides of the boot when your foot is in them (you should be able to touch the front with your toe, all around the ankle, across the length of the foot). If there is space between the foot and the boot, or your heel is lifting up, this indicates they are too wide.

I sort of understand what you are referencing about Reidell - I have been advised against by a few people. However, all the major brands should be fine and all the brands make a range of boots varying in support ratings so you get the one that suits your level. Jackson is far too wide for my foot, so I would never wear Jackson but then they are too narrow for one of my friends. Hence, the brand you end up going for largely depends on your foot shape.

Nimyue

On the Ice
Yes Riedells are better for narrow feet. Riedells come in many different models with a varying range of support. If your heel is lifting in the Jacksons, they are either too long or too wide or both. You should not have to crank down the laces super tight. Over tightening the laces leads to breaking down the boot sooner.

Listen to your fitters, it sounds like they know what they are talking about. If you want a stiffer boot than the Riedell model they give you, ask for a stiffer Riedell model.

Edit: I like using this site for looking at comparable models, but it's only a guidline: https://www.kinziescloset.com/skate-comparison-guide.html

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Echoing what everyone else said. Your fitters know what they are talking about. That said, it's not as simple as wide vs. narrow feet. I have wide feet and skated in Jacksons for 10 years. I always hated them, but was afraid to change brands. I switched to Riedells about 5 years ago and I love them. No, they are not quite as stiff as Jackson, but that also means less break in time and less foot pain. I was doing doubles in Riedells and as others have stated, there are elite level skates doing quads in both brands.

Listen to the professionals and what your feet are telling you when you put the skates on your feet. What works for one person doesn't always work for others.

Sk8life

Spectator
True. But if multiple coaches and skaters are saying that Jacksons are better as opposed to fitters that may potentially be trying to make a better profit gain of of riedells... wouldn’t you think maybe Jacksons are better??

Sk8life

Spectator
This is awesome advice. Thank you so much! Did you find your Jacksons painful when you skated in them? I wish I could relate and understand if Jacksons are/were painful, but I feel that I don’t really have any room to talk since I have been skating in a size too big this entire time... how I didn’t figure this out sooner is honestly beyond me. Can we say rookie move..? Haha!
Also, did you find that because the Riedells did have less support that they broke down fairly quick (more so than Jacksons)?

Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much! I’ll keep this in mind when I’m trying on both next week. Seriously wish I would’ve had this advice when I bought my first pair! Lol.

Nimyue

On the Ice
True. But if multiple coaches and skaters are saying that Jacksons are better as opposed to fitters that may potentially be trying to make a better profit gain of of riedells... wouldn’t you think maybe Jacksons are better??

This is ridiculous. Riedells are great skates. The main difference between Jackson and Riedell is simply the last they are made on. If the fitter is telling you that your foot matches the Riedell last better than the Jackson believe them.

I skate in Jackson right now by the way. They are great boots, but so are Riedell. I am only wearing Jackson because the last matches my foot better than Riedell does.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'd be very suspect of anyone (coach, skater, or fitter) who stated that Jacksons are better than Riedells for every skater; period. For a particular skater, you need to compare certain models of Jacksons to certain models of Riedells. You will likely find pluses and minuses for each model, if you objectively compare the different models. Then you pick one depending on how you weight the pluses and minuses. I skated on Riedells for mucho years [before Jackson existed], but switched to Jacksons, because the stock Elite last (heel width one size narrower than the toe; plus rounded toe box) fit my feet better.

Chump12

Rinkside
Riedell makes many models of lower level instructional boots. These lower level boots don’t have enough lateral support around the ankles and break down very quickly. Some boots also come out of the factory with crooked tongues. I suspect this is why many people are not fans of Riedell boots. Once you get to the higher level boots, they are good quality boots with more ankle support and arch support.

Both Jackson and Riedell are good brands, but the difference is not simply wide vs narrow. You need to look at the width of the heel, the width of the toe box, and the arch. It comes down to the boot that fits your foot, rather than brand.

zjamic

Rinkside

Ummm, adding my 2 cents here....

From my experience, I've had coaches that are particular to specific brands due to their personal experience and have recommended me to their brand of boots or blades, but each coach I have had always recommended something for my benefit. However, as a skater compared to my coach(es) I know that my feet are different than theirs. Example, my main coach wears Edea with gold stars, while the other coach wears Riedell with matrix blades (shes like a size 5 in Riedell and has the most petite feet I've ever seen), my old coach wore Riedell and John Wilson blades (I have no clue what they were anymore).

My main coach, after I asked, told me to look into Edea boots because they came in an array of sizes and could help with my heel slippage; my old coach had me go to an experienced fitter and have their opinion, but he did suggest Jacksons because of the wider toolbox and my wide feet. Said fitter at the time, this was almost 2 years ago, told me Jacksons because they would fit my wider foot and were in the price range I had set, as well as my skill set at the time. The last fitter I went too told me Jacksons would've been optimal due my foot width, but because I went in and said I wanted to try Edea boots he listened, measured me out, and worked with me (and after measuring he said Jacksons were a no-no and we came up with contingency plans); he told me that if the Edea didn't work, we would turn to Riedell due to custom fitting that would allow the toolbox to be stretched to fit my foot.

Needless to say, I have skated in Riedell, Jackson, and Edea boots with an array of blades in between. Riedells, I find, have a narrow toolbox, but tighter heel. My Jackson's had a wider toebox and wider heel. My Edea, which are my current boot, have a wider toolbox and a tight heel due to the cushioning (at least I think that's why) and feel amazing! (Aside from the flat footbed, but was mended with superfeet).

I suggest listening to the fitter, but also tell the fitter your coach's suggestion and the fitter, in my experience, will work with said suggestion. I wouldn't recommend listening to another skater at your rink to heart because of different experience, different foot shapes, and skaters are more (in my experience) brand loyal than coaches or fitters, who are looking out for your wellbeing; dont get me wrong, I've met skaters that will recommend something for anothers benefit if they have the experience, but I've also met skaters that rage on and on about Riedell or something and have tried to persuade me into getting Riedell or a blade that I do not want - end story listen carefully to other skaters (i highly believe that most om GoldenSkate will and are looking out for your best interest) However, the end goal for most fitters is your comfort in the boots... not personal profit or helping out a specific brand of boots because they want you to keep coming back to them (in my experience and keep coming back in a good way). If you seriously doubt your fitter then get a second opinion from another fitter. Sometimes you just have to experiment with different boots and blades until you find the right combo.

I wish you luck!

(P.s, hope I didn't offend anyone! T_T )

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I don't know if this is the same in other places, but for years in Canada Jacksons gave substantial discounts to coaches buying their boots and blades. The other brands have started doing this as well, but for awhile, it was much cheaper to buy Jacksons as a coach and as a result, more coaches wore Jacksons and were therefore more likely to recommended them to their skaters. Which is why Jackson offered the discount in the first place.

My feet were always in pain when I wore Jackson. Depending on the time of year, I'd spend half my session on the bench because my feet had cramped up so much or I just skated with numb feet. I never had that problem with Riedells. I did find that the Riedells broke down faster, but I am extremely hard on my skates and the Jacksons only got me an extra 6 months. Plus by the time I switched to Riedells I was consistently landing doubles which I wasn't when I was in the Jacksons. I had also started coaching 10 hours a week, so I was in my skates a lot more, so those were probably bigger factors to the boots breaking down faster than the brand.

It does really come down to what works best for you. I hate Edeas. I can't skate in them, but a lot of posters here love them. There is no right answer when it comes to skates and you just have to keep trying different ones until you find what you like.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Okay so I have been in a rut for weeks and I’m really hoping someone can help me.

I am an adult male skater (quite small, 5’7 about 135 lbs), currently in Jackson Mystiques and am supposed to move up to Jackson Freestyles. I was put in a size 7 in Jackson Mystiques and unfortunately was sized wrong, one whole size. I really should be a 6. When I went to try on the Jackson Freestyles, the pro shop highly suggested that I do NOT use Jacksons, as they are apparently for wider feet, and mine are more narrow. They suggested I use Riedells, as they’re more for narrow feet. I was reluctant, so I tried on a Jackson 6.5, had it heat molded and tied the laces (I didn’t do it extremely tight, I didn’t know I was supposed to... oops! Lol), and my heel was lifting as I walked. However, I’m not sure if I tried on a WIDE, or a REGULAR. They then told me that I would probably be a 6 in Jackson Freestyles.

Because they were reluctant to sell me the Jacksons, they suggested I tried on Riedells. SO... they ordered me a 6.5 in Riedells, as apparently they run smaller than Jacksons...(??) I decided I also wanted to try a Jackson Freestyle and ordered a size 6 REGULAR.

So, this is where you all come in.... I need to know.... is my foot really too narrow for a Jackson? Are they really too wide for me? I honestly don’t want to do the Riedells, especially if they’re for beginners. I’ve been skating a little over 6 months and am currently doing Waltz, Salchow, Toe Loop, Half Flip, and Half Lutz (in mystiques, believe it or not LOL). They’re extremely broken down its awful, not to mention a size too big!

Should I go with the Jackson or Riedell? Was I wrong for ordering the size 6 Jackson? Should I have done a 6.5 regular for Jackson... if I didn’t tie them as tight as they could have been? All the pro shops I’ve spoken to have suggested I NOT use Jacksons, but all coaches (and even a Jackson rep) have told me my feet are fine for them. Help, please!

First of all, I've worn all the brands over time as an elite/pro and I'm going to tell you that one boot is not better than another brand overall. What matters is what works for YOU.That said, Jackson is a good boot and I don't have totally wide feet. I wear a split width that they make for me. I have a wide toebox and a narrower heel area. You need to find a fitter that knows what they are doing and will trace your foot and do proper measurements for you, not just try to push a brand.

Riedell is good as well, skating legend Kurt Browning and others wear that brand, and if they work for YOU, then who cares right?

I mean, neither could work for you and you may have to look at Graf, Risport, Edea, SPTERI or Harlick.:sarcasm:

Just my two cents. Good luck!:biggrin:

kwall

Spectator

Hi,
I skate in Riedell skates. I am 5‘7“ tall and about 122 lbs. (Personally I don’t think weight matters for boot fit as much as four skate sharpening/wear concerns). I skate in the Riedell silver star 875, rated for triple jumps. I will never do a triple jump but I love the extra support… although they were a devil to break in. A year later and they feel great now. My daughter recently took those skates from me because she grew into them and I needed to get a pair of my own… so I picked up a pair of Jackson competition figure skates otherwise known as the ‘axle boot.’ I think it’s only one step higher than the freestyle. I bought them for $70 secondhand online and it was a steal! I had no idea what I was getting into with Jackson but I ordered the exact same size and width of my Riedell boots…(size 7, narrow width), and guess what? Other than comfort, I can’t tell a difference in fit. The Riedell boots are like the Cadillac of skates in my opinion. The extra padding and what not that goes into them… it just makes it feel so cozy. The Jackson boots didn’t have that comfort engineered into them, But to me the fit was exactly identical ! I think there is slightly more support with the Jackson skate… because I could not tell the difference between my Riedell boot which was rated for triple jumps and my Jackson competition boot which was only rated for an axle. .. but if I closed my eyes and ignored the comfort factor, I felt like they were the same boot. I would say maybe the only fit difference would be this: it’s possible that the Riedell narrow width is just a tad more narrow than the Jackson narrow width— but only a tad. It’s really difficult to say because I had the Riedell boots from the beginning and the Jacksons were secondhand which can make a difference. .. but if you want to trade Jackson there’s really no reason you shouldn’t be able to take the exact same size as your Riedell skate… just order it in a narrow width. All the boots and companies have options for width. Have yourself measured and take advantage of that.