Alternatives to tights | Golden Skate

Alternatives to tights

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I am going to be in a little skating show soon and will be wearing a real dress (as versus the practice skirts I usually wear - yay!) and I need to figure out what to wear on my legs. I'm hoping to find a cheaper alternative to the traditional skating tights from Mondor, Chloe Noel, etc... Skin-colored leggings? Gymnastics/dance tights? (Is that a thing?) Or even colored cotton tights that aren't trying to be skin-colored? (Since it's not a competition, no one is likely to complain if I don't have "nude" legs.) I would be curious to hear if anyone has had success with non-skating tights. Thanks!

Edited to add: If I end up going the traditional route and getting "official" skating tights, are there any pros or cons of choosing one brand over another? I'd probably lean towards Mondor...

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Dance tights can be found pretty cheap and they don't just come in ballet pink! You can get skin tone tights. They won't be as thick as skating tights but they're thicker than normal tights/stockings. They're also designed to move well. I used to get mine from Discount Dance online but any dance supply store will carry them.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Does the "producer" of the skating show have something in mind? I suggest asking them before buying anything.

My personal opinion is that skating tights such as those manufactured by Chloe Noel and Mondor would look the best and most polished with a dress. This is assuming you're not doing a routine that requires something specific or customized on your legs.

The quality is also very good and you can keep them aside for future shows and competitions. Thus, you get good "bang for the buck."

bunnybarista

On the Ice
Dance tights can be found pretty cheap and they don't just come in ballet pink! You can get skin tone tights. They won't be as thick as skating tights but they're thicker than normal tights/stockings. They're also designed to move well. I used to get mine from Discount Dance online but any dance supply store will carry them.

Thank you for the link! Good to know that they aren't as thick as skating tights - do you get cold when you skate in them?

Does the "producer" of the skating show have something in mind? I suggest asking them before buying anything.

My personal opinion is that skating tights such as those manufactured by Chloe Noel and Mondor would look the best and most polished with a dress. This is assuming you're not doing a routine that requires something specific or customized on your legs.

The quality is also very good and you can keep them aside for future shows and competitions. Thus, you get good "bang for the buck."

It's a very informal show so we can wear whatever we would like. (And it's going to be many years before I would need anything specific as I won't be doing anything beyond testing or doing "just for fun" shows like this.) How many wears do you usually (roughly) get out of skating tights?

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm not a heavy duty competitor so I might only wear them a few times a year. If I don't get an visible tear or run in them, I've had them last for years.

Nimyue

On the Ice
They are more like thin leggings than tights lol. They are pretty warm and should last a while as long as you don't slice them with your blades ;)

skatemom0810

Rinkside
I don’t think other kinds of tights really give the right polished look on the ice.

We’ve had good luck with Mondor tights, except over the boot. The footed tights and footless tights have lasted my daughter a long time. She’s had one pair for three competition seasons and has no runs in them (she’s 8 and not gentle on her tights at all).

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I am going to be in a little skating show soon and will be wearing a real dress (as versus the practice skirts I usually wear - yay!) and I need to figure out what to wear on my legs. I'm hoping to find a cheaper alternative to the traditional skating tights from Mondor, Chloe Noel, etc... Skin-colored leggings? Gymnastics/dance tights? (Is that a thing?) Or even colored cotton tights that aren't trying to be skin-colored? (Since it's not a competition, no one is likely to complain if I don't have "nude" legs.) I would be curious to hear if anyone has had success with non-skating tights. Thanks!

Edited to add: If I end up going the traditional route and getting "official" skating tights, are there any pros or cons of choosing one brand over another? I'd probably lean towards Mondor...

I don't know how you'd use dance tights unless you don't do over the boot or half over the boot. If you can indeed use dance tights, I'd recommend something like Body Wrappers. You wouldn't want the mesh backseam ones since those would definitely look different than normal skating tights, and my dance tights which are "ballet pink" are way pinker, and whiter, than skating tights.

I'd recommend one like this: https://www.discountdance.com/dance...ry#Tights:Brand#Body+Wrappers:&SID=1307199585
Or if you didn't want convertible tights, one like this: https://www.discountdance.com/dance...ry#Tights:Brand#Body+Wrappers:&SID=1307199811

Most older dancers (preteen-adult) end up wearing convertible tights since that's what's required for pointe, so you'd probably be able to find more convertible tights.

bunnybarista

On the Ice
We’ve had good luck with Mondor tights, except over the boot. The footed tights and footless tights have lasted my daughter a long time. She’s had one pair for three competition seasons and has no runs in them (she’s 8 and not gentle on her tights at all).

That's good to hear! Do you happen to know which type of Mondor tights you've been purchasing? They have an overwhelming array of "natural," "bamboo," "performance," "evolution," etc.

I don't know how you'd use dance tights unless you don't do over the boot or half over the boot. If you can indeed use dance tights, I'd recommend something like Body Wrappers. You wouldn't want the mesh backseam ones since those would definitely look different than normal skating tights, and my dance tights which are "ballet pink" are way pinker, and whiter, than skating tights.

I'd recommend one like this: https://www.discountdance.com/dance...ry#Tights:Brand#Body+Wrappers:&SID=1307199585
Or if you didn't want convertible tights, one like this: https://www.discountdance.com/dance...ry#Tights:Brand#Body+Wrappers:&SID=1307199811

Most older dancers (preteen-adult) end up wearing convertible tights since that's what's required for pointe, so you'd probably be able to find more convertible tights.

Thank you for the links! I really dislike how over-the-boot tights look and am aiming for footed or the ones that just go over the top of the laces, so your links would be fine for that. :agree:

I'm realizing that the prices for dance tights are pretty close to Mondor skating tight prices, so I guess I should just suck it up and buy the real thing... (Especially for the added warmth.)

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I wish Mondor wouldn't have quality issues. Maybe I'm just unlucky

I've had issues with them lately too. And inconsistent sizing.

For OP's information, the basic ChloeNoel tights run about $10 usd and they're very comfy and durable. They're my favorite. I've used dance tights in the past, like Gaynor Minden non-transitions, but I don't particularly like the feel of them nor the level of warmth they offer. I practice every day wearing tights under pants or a skirt so I'm a tights connoisseur at this point. Never skate without them.

When I was splurging on Mondor, I liked their durable and bamboo tights best. Their stuff is really wonky the past couple years, though, and I've ordered directly through them or bought at my rink, which is a distributor. I had some footless performance tights that ended up getting a run from my backpack brushing them before I even got on the ice in them. I was livid. $20 tights of any kind should never get a run, quite honestly.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've been doing skating shows for three years now, and I wear the cheapest ordinary tights. 40 denier. A bit thicker than the thinnest ones (which get ladders too easily), but still not too warm (or cold), washable and everything. However, I wear tights nearly always (except for high summer when I just have bare legs), so I'm probably not very representative.

bunnybarista

On the Ice
For OP's information, the basic ChloeNoel tights run about $10 usd and they're very comfy and durable. They're my favorite. I've used dance tights in the past, like Gaynor Minden non-transitions, but I don't particularly like the feel of them nor the level of warmth they offer. I practice every day wearing tights under pants or a skirt so I'm a tights connoisseur at this point. Never skate without them.

When I was splurging on Mondor, I liked their durable and bamboo tights best. Their stuff is really wonky the past couple years, though, and I've ordered directly through them or bought at my rink, which is a distributor. I had some footless performance tights that ended up getting a run from my backpack brushing them before I even got on the ice in them. I was livid. $20 tights of any kind should never get a run, quite honestly.

"Tights connoisseur" - I like that! Haha. Good to hear a positive vote for ChloeNoel (and more words of warning about Mondor). $10 seems pretty doable. Thank you!

mskater93

Record Breaker
I bought Balera footless tights since my issues with Mondor. They are like $5 per pair, very stretchy and last forever.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I bought Balera footless tights since my issues with Mondor. They are like $5 per pair, very stretchy and last forever.

:eek:topic: funny about that, I bought a couple of Balera leotards a few years ago and the quality was horrible! they died within a couple of months.