Thank you Skate Canada | Golden Skate

Thank you Skate Canada

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I really don't know if this is worth a Thread, but I want to say thank you to Skate Canada for making it possible to watch so many competitions. Whether it's the JGP with Ted (who singlehandedly made it possible for us around the World to watch for quite a few years now) or other competitions - in which Ted is also playing a major part, like the Autumn Classic (mostly seniors), it's just made possible to watch all over. No Geographic blocking, no taking down of videos after the event.

As a Dutch citizen with no famous or well-known skaters involved, but still loving the sport, these videos are priceless. And it's very generous to show it all, even if the skaters of the home country aren't doing as well as wished for. Thank you so much. Yay!

Small edit: I particularly like it that I can watch all skaters - Russian, French. Canadian, Finish, etc.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for this post. It was a heads-up, for me. And I love the appreciation you expressed, which I second. :)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved that during the broadcast, they were mentioning the countries of people who were watching and sending them emails. I remember then mentioning Peru and Romania. There were others, but I've forgotten. Pretty amazing! The best part -- that they actually keep silence during the skating. Then after the skate, they're so informative when they mention what made an element good or bad -- all done while keeping a very positive attitude. Great learning experience!

Adding -- Greece, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Turkey

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As an Australian (who is seriously thinking how to get up at 3.30 tomorrow morning for the livestream) I totally agree...

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^They did such a nice shout-out to Australia today talking about how Australia is working hard on developing their skaters. Don't know if you were listening. It was during the ladies' short programs that they did it.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
^^^They did such a nice shout-out to Australia today talking about how Australia is working hard on developing their skaters. Don't know if you were listening. It was during the ladies' short programs that they did it.

I'll have to go back and listen, thank you!

It's not easy for Aussie skaters, I don't know if there's a rink within 10 hours' drive of me, and lots of places would be even worse!

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't know if there's a rink within 10 hours' drive of me, and lots of places would be even worse!

There's exactly one permanent rink in my entire state now, and my state is one and a half times the size of Texas. What James Min has managed to accomplish from this starting point is amazing...

Back on topic, Skate Canada's livestreaming initiative and commitment to not geoblocking is very much much appreciated indeed. It doesn't always work out for me because of timezones, but when it does it's wonderful. I hope other federations will be able to build on their model over time.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll have to go back and listen, thank you!

It's not easy for Aussie skaters, I don't know if there's a rink within 10 hours' drive of me, and lots of places would be even worse!

I think it was after Brooklee Han's skate, while she was sitting in the K & C waiting for her scores.

chaser

Rinkside
World wide feeds for events that are not signed up to a broadcast deal with a major network is a no brainer. Skate Canada did exactly the right thing with Autumn Classic. Kudos to them. Doesn’t matter if it’s not a perfect broadcast with all the bells and whistles and graphics for skating fans IMO.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ha ha -- Ted just read my email on air where I pretty much gave them the same compliments as in my Post #3 above. :biggrin: Ted's email [email protected]. I think they're really loving hearing from people outside North America.

iorii

On the Ice
I loved that during the broadcast, they were mentioning the countries of people who were watching and sending them emails. I remember then mentioning Peru and Romania. There were others, but I've forgotten.

Ted mentioned an email from an Indonesian who lived in Netherlands and from a Singaporean. I remember them because I got happy knowing there were fellow South East Asians losing sleep to watch the event! :luv17:

I think that's so cool, I want to try sending Ted an email too next time.