Navicular accessory syndrome | Golden Skate

Navicular accessory syndrome

katyaaranda

Rinkside
i apparently have this, i have an appointment with the doctor to confirm it on saturday, but i am really scared, does anyone know something about this?

Ducky

On the Ice
Oh no. I've never heard of this before but it seems to mean that you have an extra bone in your foot. So congrats! You're a mutant and eligible for enrollment in Professor X's academy. If it makes you feel better I have an extra vertebrae in my spine. It just appears that the placement of this bone can be super inconvenient and painful. (boo)

There are a lot of non-surgical options for treatment. It looks as if the first steps are to modify your shoes and add padding in to relieve the pressure from the painful spot combined with rest from sporting activities for 2 to 4 weeks.

However, this should also be something to talk to your coach and skate tech to help figure out a way to modify your skate to accommodate you. It seems to be more about managing symptoms than curing (at least not without surgery) so you should tell your doctor and podiatrist that you figure skate and maybe try and get your skate tech and/or coach on a conference call with them to at least be able to discuss modifications that can be made to make sure you can participate in skating.

But from my quick google search this doesn't seem to be something to be terribly worried over in terms of mobility or mortality.

Good luck with your appointment on Saturday and let us know how it goes! Sending you good vibes.

Nimyue

On the Ice
If you have trouble with skates, you might want to look into an SP Teri or Harlick. They can make a custom skate molded off of a last made to be identical to your foot. Definitely talk to a podiatrist and get some ideas as to how your skate should be. The custom skates are expensive, but at least you have an option to keep skating!

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I have this and I had to get my boots punched out in that area twice. I found that to be a much better solution than padding as it much more effectively alleviated the pressure. That alone got rid of the swelling and irritation around the bone. You should of course discuss your concerns with your doctor but in most cases, it's easily manageable and nothing to be afraid of.

zjamic

Rinkside
As my one skate tech would say to me during visits "you and you're extra bone coming to visit me again?" Having that extra bone is nothing to really fret about.

Now, your comfort in boots will vary depending on the brand and level of stiffness, as well as your pain tolerance. Example, I had Jacksons and those suckers felt tight and my pain was so bad at the beginning I actually broke down and drove the 2 hours away three different times to get my skates punched (I later found out that they were the wrong width size for me, which causes my extra bones to push more into the leather causing more extreme bouts of pain). On my right ankle I wear a gel pad, though this was mostly due to the boot's tongue biting into my leg and giving me wonderful blisters, but I had noticed that the pain on my extra bone was alleviated. Personally, I think the gel pad helped to cushion how my bone pushed and rubbed into the leather of my Jacksons, so there wasn't a burning/friction pain feeling. I have switched to Edea boots and I did not have to have them punched, nor has my extra bone in either foot really been painful; sometimes I get a dull ache in my left foot, but the pain/ache is so small I normally get caught up in my music, perfecting a jump/spin, or just adjusting to the difference in blade length since switching to really notice for more than a minute.

Long story short: don't fret because having an extra bone in your foot doesn't do anything besides sometimes serve as an irritation that - once you have a solution for - will rarely or mildly irritate you. I would highly recommend punching the areas because punching gives your bones a little more breathing room. However, I am not a podiatrist, and only speaking from personal experience.

I wish you luck!

Yannis94

Rinkside
I have the same and I had such pain in my Risport RF4. I always had pain in those boots. My Risport RF3 boots were better in their D width but they last me just one season.

They were too narrow at my ankle area in general. I recently switched to Edea Chorus and God I love them. Spacious in the ankle area yet supportive enough.

But like @zjamic said try to get your skates punched. I never got them punched because my skates were worn out anyways and needed new ones.

1111bm

Final Flight
I think I have that too, although never diagnosed, but I've always had those weird bony protrutions in that area (wasn't aware that this was a 'proper' syndrome :laugh:).

My parents once took me to the pediatrician because of it and he just said to opt for comfortable shoes should it ever cause any discomfort.

But I've never had any problems with it, neither in street shoes nor in skate boots.

VegMom

On the Ice
No, but I know of 3 skaters that my skater skates with who have something similar. Two did surgery for it. All three need custom boots.
Their progress was slightly hindered due to time lost from healing. But not substantially, they all caught back up to where they were and continued to progress in skating.
I hope you can find the right solution for you.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Ooh, wow, I think I have this, too. Most of my foot bones stick out, so I never thought anything of it. :laugh:

I've never had any problems either, and certainly not for lack of skating, high heel wearing, and collisions with household objects. (knocks wood)

According to Wikipedia, accessory navicular bones are present in 2-21% of people, and it's only accessory navicular syndrome if the bone causes any symptoms, which small ones usually don't.