Favorite program so far? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Favorite program so far?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unpopular opinion:

None. Not a single program I've watched so far this season has earned a second viewing. I've enjoyed some or seen the promise in some, but...

Everything is too undeveloped so far. Who can look at anything we've seen and declare that it will be awesome?

It seems that in years past, you could see an early version of a program, and just KNOW that it would be incredible. Not so much this year.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Unpopular opinion:

None. Not a single program I've watched so far this season has earned a second viewing. I've enjoyed some or seen the promise in some, but...

Everything is too undeveloped so far. Who can look at anything we've seen and declare that it will be awesome?

It seems that in years past, you could see an early version of a program, and just KNOW that it would be incredible. Not so much this year.

HEY! you and I can be those muppet grumpy old men puppets together in the balcony! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14njUwJUg1I (Stalter and Waldorf)

mrrice

Record Breaker
I haven't seen very many skaters yet. However, I am on the Bradie train and I would love to see her make the GPF, retain her title, and medal at Worlds.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Unpopular opinion:

i am with you.. though i have watched Weapo's FD a few times and I like it.... I also watched Nic Nadeau's Depeche mode program which I also like..

Ladies : meh..

Pairs : double meh

century2009

On the Ice
A bit early given we havent seen all the skaters, so things can change

MEN
Nothing has really stand out. It is all standard and the same. No one so far is bringing it, but havent seen Boyang and Nathan in competitive form.

So will wait given Nathan threw that masterpiece last year with Nemesis.

WOMEN
Bradie's SP - I am surprised by this. It is different and modern. This is a nice groove for her and it will make her stand out, so great job for her because never would I think she would deliver this type of program. Interested to see it progress.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I like Satoko's and Elizaveta T.'s programs so far

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
HEY! you and I can be those muppet grumpy old men puppets together in the balcony! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14njUwJUg1I (Stalter and Waldorf)

I will join you. I haven't seen a program yet that's made me go, Oh wow.

The Tango Romanticas have, in particular, been disappointing. I've seen a whole lot of tango, but not much romantica. (YMMV of course, and it seems like the two with the most potential here so far are from the Canadians. Guess who!).

But you know, early days. And hopes springs eternal!

:luv17:

ETA: LOL Looks like that balcony is getting a bit crowded...

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will join you. I haven't seen a program yet that's made me go, Oh wow.

The Tango Romanticas have, in particular, been disappointing. I've seen a whole lot of tango, but not much romantica. (YMMV of course, and it seems like the two with the most potential here so far are from the Canadians. Guess who!).

But you know, early days. And hopes springs eternal!

:luv17:

ETA: LOL Looks like that balcony is getting a bit crowded...

Yes, I want to caveat my initial "blah" post by noting that I am indeed hopeful.

But I remember the first time Karne posted a black-market video of Jason's Riverdance. And the first time I saw a few clips of Nathan's Nemesis.

The first time I saw the early season version of D/W Giselle. The first viewing of many other programs.

They may have needed mileage and refinement, but you just KNEW they'd be something special. I haven't felt that this year.

But I also remember programs that were nothing special at the beginning of the season, but were were spectacular at the end.

Edit: It seems more skaters have changed coaching or choreography situations than in years past, and a few are taking artistic risks they haven't taken in prior seasons... so maybe this is contributing to the slower development of programs.

rachno2

Record Breaker
James & Cipres SP/FS
Satoko Miyahara SP
Starr Andrews FS
Alexandra Trusova FS (Not a fan of Daniil's choreo, but this fits her like a glove)
Alena Kostornaia SP (ditto)
Shoma Uno SP (not my favorite skater, but this is hands-down my favorite men's program so far. And he performs it SO well)
Junhwan Cha FS (Julieeeeeeet!)
Wakaba Higuchi SP (I know it's polarizing! but I like it)

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Our balcony is going to be pretty full of grumpy old men muppets.

I shan't join. I'll be perched in the rafters throwing popcorn at you grumpy hecklers. :laugh:

Admittedly, programs take some time to take shape, but just with the early versions we've seen, I have enjoyed quite a few.

Evgenia's SP
Bradies SP
Rika's FS
Satoko's SP
Jun's LP (guilty enjoyment, but still!)
Jason's SP
Yuzu's SP (I expect to love the LP after his first GP event)

--And don't forget folks, Daisuke Takahashi will be competing this year! :thumbsup:

Reth

On the Ice
Yuzuru SP and FS
Junhwan SP and FS
Jason SP

Marin FS
Rika FS

Anna S. SP
Alexandra T. FS
Alena K. SP

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I shan't join. I'll be perched in the rafters throwing popcorn at you grumpy hecklers. :laugh:

Admittedly, programs take some time to take shape, but just with the early versions we've seen, I have enjoyed quite a few.

Evgenia's SP
Bradies SP
Rika's FS
Satoko's SP
Jun's LP (guilty enjoyment, but still!)
Jason's SP
Yuzu's SP (I expect to love the LP after his first GP event)

--And don't forget folks, Daisuke Takahashi will be competing this year! :thumbsup:

Well, who could resist replying to a post that uses the word "shan't":)

While I'm not overly enthused about anything yet, I am interested in seeing how some programs develop. I am hopeful I'll like them better later on. You've provided a reasonable list.

To shift to a more positive tone: I have seen some interesting performances from skaters that I had lost interest in - but now I want to see if they grow on me a little more this season. Piper and Paul's Free Program and Haven and Brandon's pairs programs pop to mind immediately. I've always found Cain/Leduc to be promising, and their early competitions have reinforced that for me - I'm not claiming greatness in any of these, but definite growth. That's worth a mention.

Merjan

On the Ice
So far, Satoko's SP, Yuzuru's SP,
Gilles/Poirier RD and FD.
I hope I'll see something nice by Tarasova/Morozov here at Finlandia Trophy. I liked the Gala performance of Aljona / Bruno on Saturday.