Skaters and Profanity | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skaters and Profanity

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
They also have a rule that says if you fall down, you must get up immediately "if you are able to do so."

That's a general rule in skating no matter where you are. If you're down on the ice, other skaters are less likely to see you and you could injure someone else or yourself.

It's like that in equestrian sports too. If you fall and there are other riders and horses in the ring with you and you're able to get out of the way...you get out of the way. Mind you, this policy once led to me walking out of a ring with a broken back I didn't realize was broken because hey, I could move, but there you have it.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
They also have a rule that says if you fall down, you must get up immediately "if you are able to do so."

Yeah, that makes skating sound scarier than it is. I'm guessing that 99% of skaters won't ever have a fall that they actually can't get up from. That rule is for, among others, shlubs like me who would sit there and laugh at their own clumsiness for a while before getting up if not for that rule. :biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yeah, that makes skating sound scarier than it is. I'm guessing that 99% of skaters won't ever have a fall that they actually can't get up from. That rule is for, among others, shlubs like me who would sit there and laugh at their own clumsiness for a while before getting up if not for that rule. :biggrin:

Ever winded yourself off a toepick trip? That's a hard one to get up from. (Also the time I sprained my shoulder. But that was largely due to shock and only having one arm actually functional.)

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Ever winded yourself off a toepick trip? That's a hard one to get up from. (Also the time I sprained my shoulder. But that was largely due to shock and only having one arm actually functional.)

Yeah, what I meant was that obviously if you can't get up, no rule is going to enable you to, and the reason practically every rink has that is probably not for things like winding and sprains and worse. It's for the sillyheads who, without having read the rules first, wouldn't realize how dangerous it could be to fall and then just sit on the ice while contemplating your next move.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I Googled profanity and skaters and found that many rinks have explicit rules about it. For instance, the Sherwood rink in Portland, Oregon, says

The rink that I visit has the rules of getting up immediately when you fall, and no gestures, profanity, and (pretty sure) making faces...I mention making faces because umpteen years ago when I was taking piano lessons, my teacher used to get so annoyed with me when I would make faces when I hit clunkers during my lessons (and there were more than a few). I remember thinking it was no big deal.

Fast forward years later. After I sang in a choir concert, a friend of mine told me "You really should be careful. Whenever the violins hit some sour notes (and there were more than a few), you made a funny face." Point being, after doing this so frequently this behavior became a norm. I had no idea that's what I was doing.

Agghhh -- so some of these rules are in place (I believe) so they don't become part of your routine behavior as a skater. From what I can see, the skaters really do abide by the rules at the rink I go to.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I Googled profanity and skaters and found that many rinks have explicit rules about it. For instance, the Sherwood rink in Portland, Oregon, says

I sometimes skate at the rink in Sherwood and that place is the temperature of the arctic. If you fall down, you will get up as soon as possible! Because it's ******* cold! :laugh:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I sometimes skate at the rink in Sherwood and that place is the temperature of the arctic. If you fall down, you will get up as soon as possible! Because it's ******* cold! :laugh:

****** = veryvery ?

Profanity used during times of pain and stress can be given a pass.
You know how to make an old lady say ****? Yell "BINGO!" :agree:

50 Words for Snow

Final Flight
Country
United-States
'
I don’t speak Russian but I think Zhenya let fly with some creative language at JGPF in Barcelona. She was waiting for Eteri to negotiate that weird maze to the KnC and then when Eteri finally appeared she told her how she about a the Salchow she had issues with or something like that.

https://youtu.be/HXYG8fnh0bk?t=4m51s

IIRC:

Zhenya: I don’t give a :curse: about that jump

Eteri: Zhenya!! Cameras!!

Zhenya : :eek::

Any Russian speakers care to correct my memory. I thought it was hilarious and wasn’t offended at all. In fact..I like her attitude in this instance. :laugh:

The translations that I've seen are that Eteri asked her why she was "punching her feet like that" or something similar, and 14-year-old Zhenya replied, "I was going too fast and was afraid I'd :curse: up," and that's when Eteri pointed out the cameras, and Zhenya turned with a grin and said "Hi!" :eek::

loopy

Final Flight
As a parent, I am shocked when I see swearing from teens/preteens but I don't let it color my opinion of them. The main reason is this is the kindest generation I've seen. They might be swearing, but they are also standing up for friends who are LGBT. They worry about the enviroment, volunteer countless hours, they are great people. They are the first generation who are self documenting in a documentation platform that is public and one that shows the most beautiful, wealthies, best dressed as the most followers. Can you imagine that daily comparison? Being and awkward 13 and trying to find yourself in that space since you were 9? Give kids a break, reach out, pull the ones you know in close. Practice being kind instead of shocked. Skim over the "wrong" of swearing and trust them to find themselves.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
As a parent, I am shocked when I see swearing from teens/preteens but I don't let it color my opinion of them. .
Of course that is true and if we dont realize that, then we know nothing about how to make a society we can live with. It takes a village to raise a child.
I dont blame the child if he/she grows up in a bad section of town and learns to be a drug dealer... I blame the village. It is we who fail the children.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Years ago, I was the first women to go into an all male office. The all male office was for truck drivers. I don't swear but I never asked the drivers not to swear, I just didn't respond to them when they did. I heard one say.....what did I do. After working with the drivers for about 10 years, one came up to me and said thank you. I said for what...he said you asked me, us without saying a word to show that we were educated business men, not uneducated fools. I was shocked!!!