Question for Native Russian Speakers | Golden Skate

Question for Native Russian Speakers

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I should preface this with preferably native speakers but I'm open to input from anyone who speaks Russian! Also, I'm not sure if this forum is the right place for this but I'm unfortunately short on Russian speaking friends.

So, backstory: I'm a novelist and the book I'm currently working on includes a character whose figure skating coach is Russian. I included a Russian phrase in the book that my publisher wants confirmed with a Russian speaker. I know we have quite a few here so I'm hoping that maybe someone will be able to help (and get a shoutout in the acknowledgments of the book, haha!)

The phrase is иди с Богом which I think translates to "Go with God."

I mean to use the phrase in the context of a coach essentially wishing someone "good luck" or "Godspeed."

I remember hearing Johnny Weir talk about Galina Zmievskaya saying (I think) just "с Богом" to him before he went on the ice for competitions in the sense of "You've put in the work, everything is in God's hands now, so go with God." Unfortunately, this was during his commentary so I don't have a written source for it.

I'm not sure if I'm using the correct phrase in full or if there's a better phrase I should be using. One of the copyeditors also suggested using transliteration instead but I'm going to fight them on that since I find transliteration often unreliable and inadequate especially with languages like Russian (case in point: pages of posts about the correct pronunciation/transliteration of Alena Kostornaia's name here).

Anyway, any and all help is greatly appreciated!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I should preface this with preferably native speakers but I'm open to input from anyone who speaks Russian! Also, I'm not sure if this forum is the right place for this but I'm unfortunately short on Russian speaking friends.

So, backstory: I'm a novelist and the book I'm currently working on includes a character whose figure skating coach is Russian. I included a Russian phrase in the book that my publisher wants confirmed with a Russian speaker. I know we have quite a few here so I'm hoping that maybe someone will be able to help (and get a shoutout in the acknowledgments of the book, haha!)

The phrase is иди с Богом which I think translates to "Go with God."

I mean to use the phrase in the context of a coach essentially wishing someone "good luck" or "Godspeed."

I remember hearing Johnny Weir talk about Galina Zmievskaya saying (I think) just "с Богом" to him before he went on the ice for competitions in the sense of "You've put in the work, everything is in God's hands now, so go with God." Unfortunately, this was during his commentary so I don't have a written source for it.

I'm not sure if I'm using the correct phrase in full or if there's a better phrase I should be using. One of the copyeditors also suggested using transliteration instead but I'm going to fight them on that since I find transliteration often unreliable and inadequate especially with languages like Russian (case in point: pages of posts about the correct pronunciation/transliteration of Alena Kostornaia's name here).

Anyway, any and all help is greatly appreciated!

I would not use "Иди с богом" as a motivating "Good luck". For me it's more about sending away a solicitor because of "Иди". "Ну, с богом" which is something like "let's do it and hope that god is with us" seems more appropriate.

moriel

Record Breaker
I would not use "Иди с богом" as a motivating "Good luck". For me it's more about sending away a solicitor because of "Иди". "Ну, с богом" which is something like "let's do it and hope that god is with us" seems more appropriate.

Yep, agree. "с Богом" is more of a "good luck".
"иди с Богом", actually, is frequently used to express the desire to get rid of someone, a not so rude "get lost".

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland

Yep, agree. "с Богом" is more of a "good luck".
"иди с Богом", actually, is frequently used to express the desire to get rid of someone, a not so rude "get lost".

Ah, good to know! Thank you! I'll make sure the correction is made before it goes to print. And I'll make sure to add you both to the acknowledgments. <3

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Sorry about butting in just for curiosity... so с Богом is an equivalent of удачи? Both can be used in the same way? Or удачи is more colloquial and с Богом is more formal/solemn? (just the impression I got...)

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Sorry about butting in just for curiosity... so с Богом is an equivalent of удачи? Both can be used in the same way? Or удачи is more colloquial and с Богом is more formal/solemn? (just the impression I got...)

Удачи! is used with respect to another person or group of people and has a variety of meanings depending on the situation. It may be even sarcastic, well, same as Good luck! In fact Удачи! is the best translation of Good Luck!

С богом! usually (but not necessarily) refers to the situation when the speaker is a part of the group like the captain of a footbal team addressing his team mates before the game. It is never sarcastic. It is used much less frequently because of the god's mentioning. Слава богу! - Thanks god! is an exception.

Atlantis

Rinkside

I would translate "с богом" as "may god be with you". It isn't formal but it carries dead serious vibe. Like you are resolved that everything will happen as it is supposed to happen but you hope that god is on your side. It is not exactly the same as wishing someone good luck although it's close in meaning.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
спасибо @[email protected] & @Atlantis! Yes I did get the idea. Probably better to stick with Удачи for a casual good luck wish, and try not to sound sarcastic :laugh:

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I would translate "с богом" as "may god be with you". It isn't formal but it carries dead serious vibe. Like you are resolved that everything will happen as it is supposed to happen but you hope that god is on your side. It is not exactly the same as wishing someone good luck although it's close in meaning.

This is exactly the vibe I was aiming for so that's good to know. Thanks!