Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Thread: 2018 Skate America: Predictions Game Round 1

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koatterce View Post
    The misspelling of "Efimova" and the hyphen in "Scimeca Knierim" likely caused the scoring algorithm to not be able to read those predictions correctly so points weren't counted for them
    Oh.

In love with too many ladies sweetice's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    So, trying to count mine:

Quote Originally Posted by sweetice View Post
    Ladies: 35
    1 Bradie TENNELL 0
    2 Kaori SAKAMOTO 15
    3 Satoko MIYAHARA 5
    -> 4 Sofia SAMODUROVA 10
    -> 5 Polina TSURSKAYA 5
    Loena HENDRICKX

Men: 40
    1 Nathan CHEN 15
    2 Sergei VORONOV 10
    3 Vincent ZHOU 5
    4 Morisi KVITELASHVILI 0 ( yeah, it was a huge bet )
    5 Matteo RIZZO 10

Pairs: 65
    1 Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV 15
    2 Alisa EFIMOVA / Alexander KOROVIN 15
    3 Ashley CAIN / Timothy LEDUC 15
    4 Alexa SCIMECA KNIERIM / Chris KNIERIM 15
    5 Annika HOCKE / Ruben BLOMMAERT 5

Dance: 75
    1 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE 15
    2 Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI 15
    3 Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO 15
    4 Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER 15
    5 Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON 15
    215 don't seem so bad, but we are so many.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koatterce View Post
    The misspelling of "Efimova" and the hyphen in "Scimeca Knierim" likely caused the scoring algorithm to not be able to read those predictions correctly so points weren't counted for them
    Is there a scoring algorithm now? It used to be done by hand, so to say.

All Hail Empress Eteri Spirals for Miles's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by satine View Post
    would take a while with over 200 players!

9 Not allowed!
    ICE DANCE RESULTS

Gold medallists, with 75 points: Arriba627, Baron Vladimir, CanadianSkaterGuy, century2009, Chris Cooper, Colonel Green, danse, DanseMacabre, Debrah, GINO, glorybox6, hydroblader, IceAge1986, icedance, itofan, kathisteff, lavenderblossom, lusterfan, marulia, MelDee, MrECartman, Off My Rocker, Pandicorn, Phireye, Pippuripihvi, randomfan, Roast Toast, SubRosa, sunnystars, surimi, sweetice and voolfee.

Silver medallists, with 70 points: bakedpotato, bennorii. casualfan, Cherryy, concorde, dodobirdo, el henry, Graciegold2018, haribobo, invisiblespiral, Kirei, Koatterce, Nirti, Poice, ptskate, ruga, semosk8tfan, Seren, Shedi0806, sisy, TheBallerina, Tolstoj, tosca, vesperalvioletta and yume

Bronze medallists, with 65 points: AidenAiena, alinaharry, alyssamarie, Antyv, apgold, Canadianskatingfan, charmblade, corynna, Crossover, Daniel1998, Hyena, IceBallerina, Klarnet, lost3iron, lutz, Lyssa, maggieanne, MalAssada, moonstruck, Moxiejan, Mrs. P, NoNameFace, npavel, NYscorp6, rachno2, readernick, Ruby999, samkrut@mail.ru, schizoanalyst, Seven Sisters, Skategmt, Skatie, SkySkater, SnowWhite, StitchMonkey, vincb17, Winry and Ziotic.

P.d. 1: complete results are up in the scoresheet.
    P.d. 2: as usual, if you have any doubt regarding your score, just ask me.

0 Not allowed!
    Still can't believe I went 5 for 5 with ice dance of all disciplines. I know nothing about ice dance. Nothing.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    Samkrut and concorde are correct. In this example, Polina is indeed moved up to 5th position because of Loena's withdrawal.

This is one of those strange situations where somebody withdrawing actually works against the player.

Fortunately, it doesn't happen that often.

CaroLiza_fan
    But has Loena not withdrawn, Polina would be in 6th place and 6th place does not count,right? Only first 5 places. And it depends on how Loena would have done. If she bombed it would be 0 points for the player, so we don't know for sure that it worked against the player, 5 points is still better than 0.

Bona Fide Member

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ines42575 View Post
    ICE DANCE RESULTS

Gold medallists, with 75 points: Arriba627, Baron Vladimir, CanadianSkaterGuy, century2009, Chris Cooper, Colonel Green, danse, DanseMacabre, Debrah, GINO, glorybox6, hydroblader, IceAge1986, icedance, itofan, kathisteff, lavenderblossom, lusterfan, marulia, MelDee, MrECartman, Off My Rocker, Pandicorn, Phireye, Pippuripihvi, randomfan, Roast Toast, SubRosa, sunnystars, surimi, sweetice and voolfee.
    So i finally got the gold... and i need to share it with 30 other people

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marin View Post
    same , bombed SA completely
    Same here! Onwards and upwards

Bona Fide Member

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirals for Miles View Post
    Depends on how you define 'a while' - it took me about 40-60 mins to score out by hand and put scores in the spreadsheet and then to prepare post with podium/summary, not much in my book. And for me it is a great exercise for a brain to score out by hand, spot some 'trends', who for example predicted also 6th place correctly etc. But it's just my weirdness.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblespiral View Post
    I think this is worth 55 points, but I have 45 on the scoring spreadsheet.
    Apologies, I'll correct in right away - in the sea of 45 and 55 it was bound to happen

0 Not allowed!
    Yes it would, but when I helped score it around two seasons ago, we did it by hand. I don't think we had quite as many players back then, however

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Yes it would, but when I helped score it around two seasons ago, we did it by hand. I don't think we had quite as many players back then, however
    Oh, yes, quite a bit has changed since you were scoring, satine.

Samkrut developed this algorithm which makes the scoring process a lot quicker and simpler. There is still a good bit of stuff that the scorers have to do themselves, but the spreadsheet does the calculations itself. Which is a godsend when you have as many players as we do nowadays.

Some scorers still prefer to do it manually, though. And, curiously enough, it tends to be the younger scorers that prefer doing it manually. Which is the opposite of what I would have expected.

Personally, I prefer using the algorithm.

But, at the end of the day, it is best that the scorers do it whichever way they are most comfortable with, be it manually or using the algorithm.

CaroLiza_fan

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameFace View Post
    Depends on how you define 'a while' - it took me about 40-60 mins to score out by hand and put scores in the spreadsheet and then to prepare post with podium/summary, not much in my book. And for me it is a great exercise for a brain to score out by hand, spot some 'trends', who for example predicted also 6th place correctly etc. But it's just my weirdness.
    NoNameFace, I have the same feelings on scoring! It doesn't take me that long to score by hand and definitely helps spot some trends. For me, the longest part is copying and pasting the predictions into a spreadsheet. Love that there are more players this year. I'll definitely get a workout scoring Men's for Skate Canada this week!

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weathergal View Post
    NoNameFace, I have the same feelings on scoring! It doesn't take me that long to score by hand and definitely helps spot some trends. For me, the longest part is copying and pasting the predictions into a spreadsheet. Love that there are more players this year. I'll definitely get a workout scoring Men's for Skate Canada this week!
    Glad to hear that!

It also helps me to memorize more names of posters participating, I think it is a good thing - I see who is new and who participated in past years. And with Men the workout could be REAL

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15