Double Axel in two years? | Golden Skate

Double Axel in two years?

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
Someone at my rink landed a double Axel after just two years of figure skating. He's in his 20s and skated leisurely as a child. Is that even humanly possible? To those who are adult figure skaters. How long did it take you to land an Axel?

jf12

Final Flight
Someone at my rink landed a double Axel after just two years of figure skating. He's in his 20s and skated leisurely as a child. Is that even humanly possible? To those who are adult figure skaters. How long did it take you to land an Axel?

Yes I’ve seen this happen before with men in late teens or 20s especially with a background in other applicable sports. If you can dunk a basketball why not do an axel? Unfortunately very few younger men even think of starting to do figure skating.

I’m female and it took me a year and a half (single axel), which seems fast for an adult, maybe average for a child, but it took me / is taking me just as long as most people do to get decent skating skills, like one year for every MIF test after the first one. Personally I think there’s little point in doing advanced jumps with bad skating before and after, so I have been mostly working on that.

VegMom

On the Ice
My skater has landed a few double axels and has only been skating about two years. They’re not great yet and they’re usually under-rotated but he’s definitely landed a few of them fully rotated.

Coach said that if singles are taught well and skater has right qualities (can jump high, rotate quickly, isn’t too fearful) that all doubles come pretty easily. It certainly appears to be true when I watch skaters progress. The ones who don’t struggle too much in axel seem to move to doubles fairly easily, even double axel.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Yes. Year and a half a long long time ago.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I started figure skating at 16. Never played hockey or anything and I went from nothing to novice before I turned 18. I just had a natural ability for it and learned quickly. So in saying that. Yes 100% realistic and possible.