Which discipline is the most popular? And why? | Golden Skate

Which discipline is the most popular? And why?

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
Is there a discipline that generally dominates in popularity? Or does it depend on the era. Which disciplines do you watch on a regular basis and why?

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I’d say probably Ladies singles until very recently when Men’s singles might be inching ahead due to the popularity of Hanyu and even Nathan Chen.

Then Ice Dance, then pairs.

I think though it really depends on the country. Skating isn’t popular in the U.K. but due to Torvill and Dean and their program Dancing on Ice I’d say here Ice Dance is the most popular.

ankifeather

Final Flight
I would say it depends on the country and which discipline that country dominates in during a certain era.

For example in Russia it would be men in the past and now its women. Japan would be women in the past and now men. North America shifted from women to a period of ice dance to probably more men now.

And out of those three areas, Japan has the largest market and interest in figure skating currently, as noted by ISU in the rules change meeting when they mentioned it was their important source of income (whereas it was North America in the past). So as of right now , it is probably men on an overall basis.

Most times singles are more popular then dance and pairs I think.

century2009

On the Ice
Yeah, right now, men singles.

It is now interesting when the young guns (Boyang, Shoma, and Nathan) challenged the old ones (Patrick, Hanyu, Javi) and retiring one by one.

Boyang started with his quad. Then Shoma came to play. Then, Nathan collected all the quads to become Lord (sorry, could not resist).

I will give credit to Nathan for bringing back the US to the forefront of singles figure skating competition as it was now actually winning major events. The US has not won major singles competitions for close to a decade.

I think though it really depends on the country. Skating isn’t popular in the U.K. but due to Torvill and Dean and their program Dancing on Ice I’d say here Ice Dance is the most popular.

This is more my opinion. I won't be shocked if Men's has the most attention in Japan, while Pairs' gets the most in China, and Ladies' gets the most in Russia.

Overall, though, most people I have talked to say that ladies' either is or used to be their favourite, with me included in the latter. I should start watching Pairs' more since it was quite impressive last season (and digging back through the quad, there were some great programs), and Men's is fun, too, with lots of good skaters around. I always get bored with ID outside of a couple teams.

icybear

Medalist
Ladies for sure. Aside from the top 6 men in the world there is generally very little interest in men figure skating whereas there is a lot more interest in ladies skaters even in those who are unlikely to be on the podium.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Also, I think there's a difference between what's popular with the general public and what's popular with dedicated skating fans who follow the sport on a regular basis.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think in the US, it's still ladies. Gracie has more IG followers than Nathan, although the latter is more accomplished in the sport. Women skaters can also endorse a lot more products (i.e. make-up, jewelry, etc.) than male skaters, giving them more visibility to the general public.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan Chen could land 85 quad axels, but in the US, the ladies are the most popular. And I say this as a huge fan of men’s skating, although in and of themselves I could care less how many quads any particular skater lands.

Why? Beats me. And if it were just success, the consistent, constant good showings of US ice dancers should make ice dance more popular in the US. But it’s not:confused2:

peepsquick

Final Flight
As a skating fan I like to follow all 4 disciplines but I am always a bit surprised that many of us exclude totally pairs and dance. I wonder why.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Clearly it must be the ladies department, largely due to the traditional, global stereotypes in general. The sport has been always associated with beautiful girls in beautiful dresses. If you google image search for "figure skating" or "figure skate", majority of the images that come up are those of the girls. Thus when "figure skating" is mentioned, most people would think of ladies skating.

I know I am an oddball, I became a serious mens skating fan ever since I laid my eyes on my all time fav 25 years ago, and my interest continues to be centred around Mens discipline. Pairs and Ice Dancing follow, with about equal amount of interest, or depends on the presence of my favourites on any given competition. Ironically ladies the department is the division I am the least passionate about. I only care to watch a handful of particular skaters - somehow, I don't know why, I rarely find female skaters whose performances really reach my heart.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
It definitely depends on the country. In Canada it's men and dance that are the most popular, then pairs and ladies way behind, although this is starting to shift with the success of Joannie and Kaitlyn. Popularity by country seems to largely be based on historical success in the discipline, hence the lower popularity of ladies in Canada, but cultural norms and customs play a role as well.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think it is he Ladies champion who has always gotten the most attention and the it does seem to be the most important. However, I think Yuzuru has changed this (Plushenko too) a bit but I'd still say it's ladies. Ladies also seems to be the most controversial discipline.

In order I think it is:

Ladies
Men
Dance
Pairs :sad4: (Pairs is my favourite)

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I started a thread "why ladies?" last season. All the analysis was there. Basically, ladies were and are The Discipline.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think it is he Ladies champion who has always gotten the most attention and the it does seem to be the most important. However, I think Yuzuru has changed this (Plushenko too) a bit but I'd still say it's ladies. Ladies also seems to be the most controversial discipline.

In order I think it is:

Ladies
Men
Dance
Pairs :sad4: (Pairs is my favourite)

Yuzuru is an anomaly, true (when I googled skating, there were coming up to as many pictures of him alone as all the ladies put together!! and as for youtube...). I would say in both Japan and China the men have the top spot (what with Yuzu, Shoma and Boyang and possibly Takahashi) and its the men who sell more seats in competitions and ice shows - possibly world wide - because of it; from what I've read Canada currently has mens and ladies on a bit of a par (with Virtue & Moir being their anomaly).

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I think ladies is the most popular generally, men are close behind, mostly due to the popularity of certain skaters, and then follow ID and pairs. To my great regret pairs is usually the least popular...although the general public tend to enjoy adagio pairs. Give me a great SBS jump any day, or a good throw, SBS spins, you get my meaning.

ankifeather

Final Flight
Google trends doesn't capture much of Japan (which mainly uses Yahoo as the search engine) and China (google is blocked) though, the current biggest market and uprising market ,which many above have pointed out men is more popular.

Both are relatively new markets though as compared with the Western world which Ladies had been dominant for a while.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I think in the US, it's still ladies. Gracie has more IG followers than Nathan, although the latter is more accomplished in the sport.

But then again Nathan has more IG followers than Ashley, who is also more accomplished than Gracie. And Adam is less accomplished than any of them yet has more IG followers than all of them put together. What does all it mean? Beats me.:confused:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Depends on the country. Over here it's Dance.

Hard to judge globally thoigh. Us and Europe probably ladies, Dance, Asia overall probably Men and Ladies... So, Ladies overall, I guesss.

But then again Nathan has more IG followers than Ashley, who is also more accomplished than Gracie. And Adam is less accomplished than any of them yet has more IG followers than all of them put together. What does all it mean? Beats me.:confused:

Lady Gaga has over twice as many twitter followers as Adele who has more followers than Eminerm. Adele sold more records than Gaga and Eminem sold more records than both of them combined. So what does Twitter say about music popularity?

Adam has more Instagram followers than Nathan and Ashley. Nathan gets invited to Japanese skating shows, and Hanyu who has no Instagram gets showered with Winnie the Poohs. So what does Instagram say about figure skating popularity?