Record Breaker
ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships

isu-world-synchronized-skating-champs-helsinki-2019 (1).jpg

Helsinki Ice Hall (YLE)
Nordenskiöldinkatu 11-13, 00250
5WQF+P2 Helsinki, Finland

Phone +358 9 4777110

Apr 12 - Apr 13, 2019

Short Program Friday, April 12, 2019, 17:00 Eastern European Summer Time (UTC +3)
Time in Other Places

Free Skate, Saturday, April 13, 2019, 13:45 Eastern European Summer Time (UTC +3)
Time in Other Places

The ISU Channel is covering the event:
2019 WORLD SYNCHRONIZED SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS - HELSINKI
This live stream is not available in Japan, Italy and Finland

NBC Sports Gold is covering the event in the US.

04/12 11:00 AM EDT
World Synchro Championships: Short Program

04/13 7:30 AM EDT
World Synchro Championships: Free Skate
04/13 7:45 am EDT

In Finland the event twitter says:
Suomessa Yle televisioi muodostelmaluistelun MM-kisan ja katsottavissa myös @yleareena
'sta. #SkatingFinland#WorldSynchro#Helsinki2019#HelsinkiLiikkuu

Which if you can believe Google translate is
"In Finland, the Yle television formation is the MM-kisan ja katsottavissa and can also be watched @yleareena Sta."

I just read the tickets were sold just in about one hour, 12 000 all event tickets, only very few places very up are left. They tried to find larger arena but it was not possible. Synchro is very popular in Finland. There are 182 synchro teams in Finland

Entries​

No.NameNation
1TEAM UNITYAUS
2TEAM SWEET MOZARTAUT
3TEAM PHOENIXBEL
4TEAM NEXXICECAN
5TEAM NOVA SENIORCAN
6TEAM ICE PEARLCHN
7TEAM ZAGREB SNOWFLAKESCRO
8TEAM OLYMPIACZE
9TEAM HELSINKI ROCKETTESFIN
10TEAM MARIGOLD ICE UNITYFIN
11TEAM ZOULOUSFRA
12TEAM BERLIN 1GER
13TEAM ICICLES SENIORGBR
14TEAM PASSIONHUN
15TEAM HOT SHIVERSITA
16TEAM JINGU ICE MESSENGERSJPN
17TEAM AMBERLAT
18TEAM ILLUMINATIONNED
19TEAM PARADISERUS
20TEAM TATARSTANRUS
21TEAM STARLIGHTSUI
22TEAM VIZYONTUR
23TEAM HAYDENETTESUSA
24TEAM SKYLINERSUSA

Last edited by a moderator:

kwalker

Rinkside
Stayed up to 2am EST to purchase tickets. Didn't get tickets in the sections I wanted but just thankful I got a pair. Booked my flights this week, and so the countdown begins. I'm coming from Canada.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I just checked the NBC Gold streaming schedule and the World Syncro SP are streaming on 4/12 at 11:00 a.m. EDT (US) and the Free Skates stream on 4/13 at 7:30 a.m. EDT (US).

Well I guess this should teach me not to trust NBC Gold's schedule. Just received an email which now says that the SPs are streaming on 4/12 at 8:55 a.m. EDT and the FS 6:35 a.m. 4/13. So sorry about the incorrect info.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I am so excited for the next two days! :cheer: I’m still beyond elated for Nova Senior’s win at the Canadian championships last February, earning them their first ever trip to senior worlds, after only three seasons competing in the senior category. While I also absolutely adore and respect Nexxice Senior and Les Supremes Senior so very much, what Nova pulled off was one of the most beautiful synchro free programs I’ve ever seen in senior level synchro. :)

In case you missed out on the amazingnees: https://youtu.be/ssDbNPrcFQA

jtpc

Rinkside
I think Canada could do extremely well at Worlds. Nexxice always has phenomenal skating skills and superior edge quality in the no hold. I like how they are skating last in the short as I think those superior skating skills will really stand out after having seen the rest of the teams prior to them. One of my favourite things about Nexxice is their precise execution. It's exactly what I want to see in synchronized skating. Every movement matches. In their short, the extension and the matching quality of the spiral positions in the moves element is amazing and I like how in their preparation for the intersection, as the 2 groups circle around each other, it precisely matches the build in the music. Very cleverly choreographed to set that element preparation to that point in the music. I like the expressiveness to their artistic wheel in the free. It adds nicely to the interpretation and mood of the program. The transitional section after the wheel is neat where the 2 lines glide past each other to match the rise and fall in the music.

The team I'm really excited about though is Nova Canada. After defeating the defending World Champions at the Mozart Cup as pretty much an unknown team, I can't wait to see how Nova Canada does at Worlds this weekend. What an exciting team with excellent programs. In their short, I really like how the music builds throughout with the tempo constantly increasing. It's a dynamic and convincing program. You have to be a fantastic skater to be able to perform the intersection and the twizzles at the fastest points in the music at the end of the program. I also like how they use their whole bodies to express the character of the music and highlight original transitional moves using different levels, particularly into the travelling wheel and prior to the intersection. I hope their components in the short aren't impacted by skating early or by not having an established reputation at Worlds. I think they are going to shock the world here with how incredible they are.

Their Halo free program is my favourite of the season. It's the program I watch over and over again. I absolutely love the trendsetting lifts that are used not only to highlight their artistic elements (wheel, block, and circle) and their creative element (stunning!), but they are also used as unique, transitional choreography. I don't think I've seen a Canadian team approach the back to back intersection with the speed that they do, performing turns all the way through without hesitation. The transitional section that connects the artistic block to the pair element is really cool. The arm movements and body lean express the feeling of the music beautifully in such a nuanced way. I hope they have an excellent starting order in the free program to potentially bring down the house with this program.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Happy to see the tech box also in synchro! Makes it easier for me to follow the elements. Like for new fans of single/pairs and especially dance(for me) figure skating I guess.

Team Paradise 87.12. Wow their skirts when spinning :thumbsup:

Marigold in not so nice skirts :laugh: second 85.90 they are happy

now Tatarstan from Russia

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Happy to see the tech box also in synchro! Makes it easier for me to follow the elements. Like for new fans of single/pair sand especially dance(for me) figure skating I guess.

Team Paradise 87.12. Wow their skirts when spinning :thumbsup:

Marigold in not so nice skirts :laugh: second 85.90 they are happy

now Tatarstan from Russia 82.83 in third place.

Who can challenge Rus/Fin after Sweden quit?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

Synchronized Skating - Free Skating
Starting Order​

StN.NameNationRankPoints
1Team Ice Pearl
CHN
2Team Vizyon
TUR
3Team Sweet Mozart
AUT
4Team Amber
LAT
5Team Illumination
NED
6Team Phoenix
BEL
7Team Zagreb Snowflakes
CRO
8Team Starlight
SUI
9Team Icicles Senior
GBR
10Team Passion
HUN
11Team Olympia
CZE
12Team Berlin 1
GER
13Team Unity
AUS
14Team Zoulous
FRA
15Team Jingu Ice Messengers
JPN
16Team Hot Shivers
ITA
17Team Skyliners
USA
18Team Nova Senior
CAN
19Team Haydenettes
USA
20Team Tatarstan
RUS
21Team Helsinki Rockettes
FIN
22Team Nexxice
CAN
23Team Marigold Ice Unity
FIN
24Team Paradise
RUS

Last edited:

jtpc

Rinkside
This won't be a surprise given my post upthread, but I think you could make a very solid case that Nova should be a few places higher, 4th at the very worst in my opinion and certainly ahead of a team falling on their no hold. I get that it's human nature to feel you shouldn't be giving out last group GOE and PCS early on in an event, but if you skate that exact program 10 spots later, I bet that you would see many more +4's and components firmly in the 9's. Kudos to the American judge for giving them components that put them among the other podium contenders. I'll be hoping he's drawn on the panel again tomorrow. It would have been nice if the Canadian judge had been drawn for the short, but at least she will get to do the long program tomorrow.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I had to miss the live stream of the entire short program today. I didn’t outright forget, I just had so much keeping me busy over the last 24 hours, which included driving my parents to the Toronto airport to attend my eldest aunt’s funeral in Newfoundland. :sad21:

Some of you may recall me mentioning my aunt in the Canadian skating thread within The Edge, in reference to Kaetlyn Osmond. My aunt was a Roman Catholic nun, who, for the last five years, had a pastoral posting in the tiny hamlet of Rushoon, population: 250, just outside of Marystown. This is the town where Kaetlyn spent her early childhood years and took up figure skating, after seeing her older sister starting to become serious herself about the sport. The family headed to Montreal at age nine, then to Alberta a year later to train competitively with Ravi Wallia. My aunt didn’t know KO, but she knew her grandparents and several other relatives. A handful of them left beautiful tributes on her obituary’s guest book. Lovely people, those Newfies. :ghug:

Anyway. I must apologize for the :eek:topic: hijack of this thread. I realize I have a an infamous habit for general thread derailment around here :)laugh2: understatement of the century), but seeing how I’m also the self-crowned uberfan and expert of all things synchro at GS, it likely would come across as weird to you guys when I miss a live synchro event, especially if it’s worlds. So there’s ,y excuse, I think it’s more than valid.

So my main point here involves this question: would anyone know of a working link or two for any of the short programs? I searched both YouTube and Dailymotion, sans success. Please please please, help out your homegirl SS if you have the magical key to view them. ;) It would be extremely appreciated. I’d like to catch up before the free skate event start later this morning. I have a VPN if there’s potential country blockages.