Figure skating show coming to Netflix | Golden Skate

Figure skating show coming to Netflix

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
[Not sure if this belongs in the Edge or the Cafe.]

I'm so here for this: Emma Roberts to Star in 'Edgy' Ice Skating Drama Spinning Out at Netflix

Emma Roberts is putting her career on ice. The American Horror Story vet has signed on to star in Spinning Out, a new, 10-episode Netflix drama series set in the high-pressure world of figure skating.

Created by Mr. Mercedes scribe Samantha Stratton, the project — which Netflix describes as “edgy” — centers on Roberts’ Kat Baker, an “up-and-coming, high-level single skater who’s about to turn in her skates after a disastrous fall took her off the competition track. When Kat seizes an opportunity to continue her career as a pair skater with a talented bad-boy partner, she risks exposing a fiercely kept secret that could unravel her entire life. On and off the ice, Kat and her new partner will face daunting odds, injury to body and soul, financial sacrifice, and even potential mental breakdown on their way to realizing their Olympic dream.”

I love Emma Roberts on American Horror Story and she was the only part of Scream Queens that made that show watchable so I'm excited. Is the skating going to be cheesy? Probably. Will I love every second of it? Also probably.

UPDATE: Emma Roberts has dropped out of the project. They're moving forward with it and will recast the role. Sad face. Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...netflix-figure-skating-drama-spinning-1156842

Rissa

Record Breaker
A singles skater gets partnered up with a bad boy? Sounds so pedestrian.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
A singles skater gets partnered up with a bad boy? Sounds so pedestrian.

I mean...one of the producers is partially responsible for the 90210 reboot and Reign so...yeah, probably. :laugh:

I'm fully prepared for this show to be trash but I'm also fully prepared to binge watch it in one sitting.

kimi492

Final Flight

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It will at least create work for whoever they hire to serve as the actors' skating doubles for whatever performance scenes they end up doing.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I mean...one of the producers is partially responsible for the 90210 reboot and Reign so...yeah, probably. :laugh:

I'm fully prepared for this show to be trash but I'm also fully prepared to binge watch it in one sitting.

Oh me too. Shove over on the couch. I'll bring the popcorn!

:popcorn:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Excited to watch this (no matter how corny the plot is), but not thrilled at the casting :hslap:

lupina015

Rinkside
Why is it always single skating or pairs?
I really wished that somebody would do a movie about ice-dancing...

Ross74

Medalist
This reminds me of Make It or Break It, the TV show about gymnastics with Candace Cameron.

Ducky

On the Ice
Why is it always single skating or pairs?
I really wished that somebody would do a movie about ice-dancing...

The writers' room is 100% convinced that figure skating is all about the will-they-or-won't-they-land their jumps and have the perfect skate to create dramatic tension?

princessalica

Final Flight
I LOVED that show! And then when Emily left they dropped so much storyline. I totally will be watching!

frida80

Record Breaker
Meh. I let others watch. If you like it, maybe I'll give it a go. But live action skating shows/movies are so boring because of the bad plots and the heavy use of stunt doubles that make their regular skating look terrible.

AidenAiena

Rinkside
I'll probably watch it. Not the biggest Emma Roberts fan but if her character could be like Madison Montgomery from AHS but a skater it could be interesting to watch.

icybear

Medalist
Sounds terrible. Usual over the top dramatized sports movies. I wish there was a figure skating reality show with real life figure skaters though.

moriel

Record Breaker
Sounds terrible. Usual over the top dramatized sports movies. I wish there was a figure skating reality show with real life figure skaters though.

i mean, they could just go to russia and film different coaches and their teams as they prepare for rusnats.
that is some high quality game of thrones drama and suspense

lupina015

Rinkside
The writers' room is 100% convinced that figure skating is all about the will-they-or-won't-they-land their jumps and have the perfect skate to create dramatic tension?

I'm convinced that the "will they or won't they" Trope would work much much better with ice dancing. But I get your point.