Austman and Daleman withdraw from Skate Canada | Golden Skate

Austman and Daleman withdraw from Skate Canada

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Press Release:

OTTAWA,ON: Canadian figure skaters LarkynAustman, 20, Coquitlam, B.C., and GabrielleDaleman, 20, Newmarket, Ont., have both withdrawn for the 2018Skate Canada International. The event is scheduled to take place in Laval,Que., from October 25-28, 2018 at Place Bell.

Austmanhas withdrawn due injury. She is still recovering from a left foot sprain thatshe sustained in September. Austman was a member of the 2018 Olympic team andwon the bronze medal at the 2018 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships.She is coached by Zdenek Pazdirek and Liz Putnam in Coquitlam, B.C.

Dalemanhas taken a break from training to focus on her mental health. Daleman was amember of the gold medal team at the 2018 Olympics and is the reigning Canadianchampion. She trains in Toronto, Ont., with coaches Lee Barkell and BrianOrser.

VéronikMallet, 24, Sept-Îles, Quebec and AliciaPineault, 19, Varennes, Que., have been added to the Canadian team rosterin Laval.

Last edited:

Tulipstar

Medalist
What the...? I hope Daleman is okay (and Austman too, but at least it's clear what's going on there).

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Wishing them both a speedy recovery. I hope Gabrielle knows she's already accomplished a lot and doesn't owe anyone anything, especially not social media if they're a part of the problem, and that she chooses whatever works best for her.

russell30

Final Flight
I hope gabby is ok! shame she has a lovely Free Program this year maybe season has ended for her to sort issues out! time will tell, Nationals only round the corner!

russell30

Final Flight
VéronikMallet, 24, Sept-Îles, Quebec and AliciaPineault, 19, Varennes, Que., have been added to the Canadian team rosterin Laval.

Pleased for Veronik and Alicia thought they skated well in there warm up events on the challengers! I think maybe why Skate Canada has slotted them in there! good for them!

Roo87

Medalist

Pleased for Veronik and Alicia thought they skated well in there warm up events on the challengers! I think maybe why Skate Canada has slotted them in there! good for them!

They really didn't have any other options, Alaine is already slotted for the event.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
They really didn't have any other options, Alaine is already slotted for the event.

They could have chosen Michelle Long, but I haven't seen her skate this season. I did see her on the podium for a smaller event in an Instagram pic.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada

There are lots of options, but most of them haven't been performing that well, and are therefore unlikely to get an assignment. Plus based on recent results, Veronik and Alicia have definitely been doing the best.

TGee

Record Breaker
There are lots of options, but most of them haven't been performing that well, and are therefore unlikely to get an assignment. Plus based on recent results, Veronik and Alicia have definitely been doing the best.
There are also protocols that Skate Canada has to consider in terms of offering berths at ISU events to National Team members.

Both Veronik and Alicia are funded by the federal entity Sport Canada. (Veronik deferred her funding by withdrawing entirely last season to recover and rehabilitate from injury.)

Funded skaters are guaranteed at least one ISU assignment. Both got theirs through Challengers. But with scores that meet a certain threshold, they have priority for the GP host substitution.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I get the feeling that not filling those spots with Canadian skaters (the two host spots) would create a lot of negative feelings at SC.

As for the free spot: I hope they offer it to Kailani. She's entertaining and skates for a small federation. Small feds need all the support they can get.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I get the feeling that not filling those spots with Canadian skaters (the two host spots) would create a lot of negative feelings at SC.

As for the free spot: I hope they offer it to Kailani. She's entertaining and skates for a small federation. Small feds need all the support they can get.

I do not ever remember any of the big feds not filling their host spot with local skaters... that's the whole point of having these spots reserved from the get go...

Regarding Crane, I do believe that priority is given to skaters with one event already assigned, so I am expecting Eunsoo Lim or Starr Andrews to get an invitation. However, I may be wrong about that priority being a rule or not

ETA : someone confirmed on another thread that skaters with one event do not have priority... weird as that's what I read somewhere in this specific forum... maybe it's for pairs/dance... don't know... oh well.. then Craine is just as eligible as any other...

Skate Canada will do whatever everyone seems to do : invite someone training close by, as it's cheaper... and on last notice, much easier.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… Regarding Crane, I do believe that priority is given to skaters with one event already assigned, so I am expecting Eunsoo Lim or Starr Andrews to get an invitation. However, I may be wrong about that priority being a rule or not

Are you saying that Skate Canada chooses to give such priority when inviting skaters to SCI?

I have never heard of such a rule (as a mandate from the ISU) applying to invitations from all of the GP host federations???

Spinning

On the Ice
Regarding Crane, I do believe that priority is given to skaters with one event already assigned, so I am expecting Eunsoo Lim or Starr Andrews to get an invitation. However, I may be wrong about that priority being a rule or not

I'm a Kailani's super fan I feel disappointed for her not having even one GP. I have no idea about the selections process but I agree with your point. Maybe skaters with one GP might be a better option to adding more GPF eligibles.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Well..not to sound icky about it or anything but without a real medal threat in Ladies for Canada maybe they will be more willing to invite someone like Eunsoo than they would if Gabby were competing.

I'd still like to see Kailani get the invite.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
actually 4ever at the risk of sounding like I'm politicking here surely if you had a skater you were hoping to make the GPF and there was a skater that if they got a second assignment might get enough points to rival your skater you might go for the lady with no assignments? Kind of like Kaetlyn not getting a second assignment a few years ago when she had won skate Canada or Bradie last year. (I'm not saying that is why they didn't get a 2nd placement but it does make sense I think)

Not Bradie.. Mariah I think.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
actually 4ever at the risk of sounding like I'm politicking here surely if you had a skater you were hoping to make the GPF and there was a skater that if they got a second assignment might get enough points to rival your skater you might go for the lady with no assignments? Kind of like Kaetlyn not getting a second assignment a few years ago when she had won skate Canada or Bradie last year. (I'm not saying that is why they didn't get a 2nd placement but it does make sense I think)

none of the skaters replacing at this point are candidates for the GPF.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Gracie would be good for ratings I think. She's still a "name" in the sport. However, is she ready to compete?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well..not to sound icky about it or anything but without a real medal threat in Ladies for Canada maybe they will be more willing to invite someone like Eunsoo than they would if Gabby were competing.

I'd still like to see Kailani get the invite.

There might be considerations for Brian to keep the ladies feild a bit less stacked? :slink:**bye**

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
There might be considerations for Brian to keep the ladies feild a bit less stacked? :slink:**bye**

That I don't think SC would do. Help one of our own skaters yes. Help a foreign skater with a Canadian coach? Unlikely..otherwise things could get very messy with Marie France/Patrice and Bruno in pairs.