2018 JGP Armenian Cup: Thoughts and Highlights? | Golden Skate

2018 JGP Armenian Cup: Thoughts and Highlights?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi Folks!

Now that the competition is over, what were your favorite highlights of the event? Feel free to talk about costumes, elements, scores, etc. Everything goes!

We are also looking for those who have a bit of writing skillz! We'd love to see a paragraph of each discipline highlighting the top three along with your thoughts. The staff will be watching and someone may win a free season pass to the competition forums if you haven't already got one :) Get those creative and technical juices flowing and show us your journalistic abilities! One-liners are welcome, just keep out the snark level down :biggrin:
A big congrats to the winners below who gave great recaps on previous events and earned a free season pass! :clap:

IceBallerina - JGP Linz
Fluture
- JGP Linz *
MalAssada - JGP Kaunas
Step Sequence4 - JGP Canada
chameleon - US Classic
Marius - Lombardia
Baron Vladimir - Ondrej Nepela
LittleLotte29 - Ondrej Nepela *
Nika09 - Ondrej Nepela *
skylark - Autumn Classic
Clairecz - JGP Ostrava
Mysticice - Finlandia

* Denotes extra good reviews selected when another event did not have a winner.

Last edited:

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Men's was easily the most entertaining after the short, when it looked like Yuma Kagiyama (4th in Richmond and 6th after the short here) was actually going to win and make it when Adam Siao Him Fa won gold lmao... plus poor Mozalev getting knocked down spot after spot until his chance was gone :cry: But also in ladies... poor Yuhana girl.... her skate was fantastic before and after the music failure and I love that they kept the delay when releasing her individual free skate video on Youtube!! A surreal and fun comp to watch with twists and turns - my fave kind :agree:

I CANNOT wait for the JGPF now, esp in junior men's. Such a fun and diverse list!!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Men's was easily the most entertaining after the short, when it looked like Yuma Kagiyama (4th in Richmond and 6th after the short here) was actually going to win and make it when Adam Siao Him Fa won gold lmao... plus poor Mozalev getting knocked down spot after spot until his chance was gone :cry: But also in ladies... poor Yuhana girl.... her skate was fantastic before and after the music failure and I love that they kept the delay when releasing her individual free skate video on Youtube!! A surreal and fun comp to watch with twists and turns - my fave kind :agree:

I CANNOT wait for the JGPF now, esp in junior men's. Such a fun and diverse list!!

:thumbsup:

The junior men continue to surprise and amaze and I will be watching that lineup with great delight (of course it doesn’t hurt that Andrew T. will be there:biggrin:

Ilya Kovler with that impressive 3A and I’m sorry, I like the James Bond posturing and posing. A junior man “find” for me.
Also very impressed by Adam Simao Him Fa stepping up to the plate, even if his programs aren’t quite there for me. And Koshiro as well, such elegance of presentation.

:yes2: for junior men.

But I also need to give a shout out to the Browns in ice dance. They are unique, fun and adorable:luv17: That is all.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Felt a little sorry for Mozalev when he looked like he was crying, but ultimately I'm glad he didn't make the final. The ones who did make it are the ones who absolutely deserve it, for the most part (I think Andrew got awfully lucky, which pains me because I like him, but this season, not so much...). Adam wasn't perfect, but he fought for it. Nice to see a surprise winner here & to see the Ukrainian win the SP. I still don't understand the hype around Danielan...why give him these showman-style programs when he can't perform them at all? He looks so depressed all the time.

Trusova & Kanysheva were fantastic!

GINO

On the Ice
What was interesting at the JGP stage in Armenia? Let me think...

Right, I remembered. Trusova became first female skater who land the quad lutz in international competition.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Felt a little sorry for Mozalev when he looked like he was crying, but ultimately I'm glad he didn't make the final. The ones who did make it are the ones who absolutely deserve it, for the most part (I think Andrew got awfully lucky, which pains me because I like him, but this season, not so much...). Adam wasn't perfect, but he fought for it. Nice to see a surprise winner here & to see the Ukrainian win the SP. I still don't understand the hype around Danielan...why give him these showman-style programs when he can't perform them at all? He looks so depressed all the time.

Trusova & Kanysheva were fantastic!

Might just be the thick brows, but yeah, Danielian always looks vaguely worried and distressed when he goes on the ice orz...

PinkElephants

Rinkside
Ilya Kovler caught my eye as well, and I LOVED Ivan Shmuratko - this was my first time seeing him and I really enjoyed his skating

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
This JGP was an interesting way to end the series to say at the least, in terms of singles. However there was no pairs which sort of made it less exciting.

Let’s start with ladies - well, Sasha Trusova! It was no surprise that she won, but I have a lot of admiration for this little girl coming out and skating two excellent clean programs AND making history by becoming the first lady to land the quad lutz in international competition after being sick the week before. Such mental and physical strength for someone so young. Her SP, costume and all, is really growing on me and although she seemed to be lacking a tiny bit of speed and energy, her jumps almost seemed lighter and more controlled because of this. The same with her FS costume - it could have been much worse and this is probably the best & nicest 5th Element costume you can get - I love the colours, when I first heard she was doing 5th Element it was very similar to what I envisioned :) Kanysheva was beautiful too, although she had small problems in her FS, she is very consistent and did not let herself fall. That 3lz+3t really is something (the lutz tho!) and she added rippon on the 3t this time. A competitive and strong athlete but delicate and elegant artist too. Her free program is perfect for her, and I can’t say enough how stunning her dress is, both the colour and style - unlike any other. Another kid with a bright future. So glad she got in the final [emoji4] I was also so impressed by how poor Yuhana stayed so calm and collected after her music stopped, and she just picked up her program where she left off in the step sequence and finished it excellently. I haven’t watched her skate properly before and I was really impressed, I love her POTO FS - a lovely combination of athleticism and artistry too, her jumps were solid and she really connected with the music.

Men: it was a nice surprise for Adam to win and for a French guy to make the final! He even bravely went for a second 4T halfway through his program [emoji23] I surprisingly haven’t watched Iliya Kovler before, and he was also a nice surprise/find. Stunning 3A+3T! But what I was most sad about was Artur Danielyan - I absolutely love his skating despite the fact that he could use a little more facial expression; he has great posture and neat jumps. It was a shame about the popped 3A in the SP as his 3A is excellent, and annoying that his necklace came off during the 3lz+3t in his free program [emoji23] because it derailed him a little afterwards and possibly lost him the bronze medal because of the deduction for costume failure - I so badly wanted him to medal [emoji20] but he’s only 14 and has a great future ahead!

Ice Dance: Ice Dance is my least watched event, not sure if it’s because it’s sort of hard to keep track of two people or there are no jumps, but from what I watched I did love Brown/Brown’s choreography although they didn’t medal, and Ushakova/Nekrasov’s programs are great (although yes the free is a little corny), a well deserved win from them. But I love Kazakova/Reviya’s free dance and Maria’s dress is absolutely gorgeous [emoji7]

Sorry for the essay, I had a lot to say [emoji28]

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
- Trusova landing a 4lutz

- Kanysheva sp and fs, she’s delicate and strong at the same time. but the pressure was a killer, it’s understandable a young girl like her couldn’t cope with it. Her final reaction broke my heart.

- yokoi, the girl with nerves of steel, queen of the jungle in the sp and both eric and christine in the fs.

- Levushkina, who found a bearable version of Roxanne, and Kim, staking to la bayadere.

- Kagiyama: his costume in the fs is dreadful, but what a great skater he is!

- Dunk: he got such great qualities to make me watch a lalalaenough program :biggrin:

-Maysuradze: Hercules got the job done! He has a great potential, his jumps are high and powerful and manage to sell his fs interpreting the thrill and the drama.

special mention: Shmuratko snatching the 1st place in sp

Trend alert: with so many 007 the entire british royal family is safe for the next 100 years.

p. s.: lana del rey’s version of sleeping beauty sounds like the soundtrack of a tim burton’s remake