Movies: anyone seen the new Gaga movie? | Golden Skate

Movies: anyone seen the new Gaga movie?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I heard it’s very moving though I don’t want to go and cry. It is the 4th remake and I have listened to a few songs on YouTube. I was not a Gaga fan at all until she started showing she could sing and not dress in a meat costume. She is talented. I have watched the trailers and I am put off by Cooper for some reason.

Another movie getting pushed is Colette. I am a Keira Knightly fan since Pride and Predjucice. I have no clue what it is about but any Oscar worthy movies usually come out now.

Reviews please?

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Fabulous. My main criticism is some of the character interaction seemed a little rough around the edges (can't really explain further without spoilers), but I loved everything else. I thought the singing performances really made the movie believable. If what I have heard is true, they did not lip sync their performances at all, which I think is awesome. I did cry in the theater and I was not the only one- I heard plenty of sniffling going on!

Go see it! :popcorn:

Ducky

On the Ice
i just have no desire to see A Star Is Born even though the reviews have been good.

Colette just looks like wrong season Oscar bait. Can't be good or else would be debuting in theaters in late November.

I did see Yorgos Lanthimos's The Favourite and really enjoyed it. Lathomos dwells in the awkwardness of human interaction and he mines the depth of his trio of leading ladies (Olivia Coleman, Rachel Weisz, Emma Stone) to produce the best depiction of a royal court life possible. All three ladies deserve an Oscar Nod, although it will be Olivia Coleman for best actress and Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone for supporting even though all three are leads....

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I would like to see this film sometime.

But, I do think that it is the latest proof that Hollywood is running out of ideas. Like, this is the fourth time this film has been made in total:

1. 1937 – Janet Gaynor and Fredric March
  2. 1954 – Judy Garland and James Mason
  3. 1976 – Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson
  4. 2018 – Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper

(There are some pretty big names there, though!)

It’s getting a bit on the ridiculous side. Just like the number of times “Freaky Friday” has been made.

Another example of Hollywood running out of ideas is the way that Disney is going through a phase where it is making live-action versions of lots of it’s animated classics.

No, all Hollywood seems to be about nowadays is comic book adaptations and re-makes / re-boots.

I do wonder what Walt Disney, William Fox, Sam Goldwyn, Louis Mayer, the Cohn brothers, the Warner brothers, and their contemporaries are thinking when they look down and see this…

CaroLiza_fan

heyang

Record Breaker
I have no clue what it is about but any Oscar worthy movies usually come out now.

Reviews please?

Essentially, it's closer to nominations. Movies that were released at the beginning of the year are usually forgotten by the time nominations are decided. Of course, there are some exceptions. I recall a couple of times where a good box office hit at the beginning of the season was re-released for a short period just before nominations to remind people of the film's eligibility for that year.... also released before the holiday family friendly months

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Essentially, it's closer to nominations. Movies that were released at the beginning of the year are usually forgotten by the time nominations are decided. Of course, there are some exceptions. I recall a couple of times where a good box office hit at the beginning of the season was re-released for a short period just before nominations to remind people of the film's eligibility for that year.... also released before the holiday family friendly months

Saw brad and Gaga. Didn’t know the ending was going to be that and was upset. Of corse he dies in all the movies but this upset and triggered me. Wish I’d not gone.

As a movie I think irs a vehicle for cooper and I kind of resent how she is the ugly duckling supposedly with a large nose but nothing said about his. I don’t see him as all that handsome. Blue piercing eyes. I found him utterly believeable in the sniper movie but so cliche here. The movie is really much like the 76 version. Handsome Guy not pretty new star. I honestly only thought the final song was at all memorable. With all the hype I was thinking it would be like another Bodyguard.

But alas she is not Whitney. She can sing but Whitney was at the top of her voice and still a young beauty. And a better actress.

Definitely see it as there isn’t much out there. I hope the Freddie Mercury movie is better than reviews. And Elton John is on his final tour with Rocketman coming out next summer. Trailers already! Though I was an Elton fan in the 70s I have maybe 3 or 4 queen songs I know. Talented guys. One cut down by aids and one living til old fighting it.

I suggest listening to the finale Gaga does. She is powerful. It’s a good song and it will be covered a lot on singing shows I’m guessing.