Your top 3 all time Japanese single ladies and men? | Golden Skate

Your top 3 all time Japanese single ladies and men?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
And why? There are so many right now who are very good and the ladies of the past are amazing.

Still my favorite all time lady from Japan is Mao Asada. She had everything and comebacks and rough times and she was humble. Exquisite is a word I would often think of watching her. We saw her accomplish great things and I am so glad she stayed as long as she did. I sure miss her.

My next favorite is Satoko Miyahara because again exquisite is the word I form when I watch her. Tiny jumps but then she is tiny. Hummingbird rotations but she is truly a woman out there among teens and I so love her beautiful choices. She is the epitome of what ladies skating can still be but seldom is.

Last I am torn between choosing another tiny dynamo with charm or choosing an athlete.

My heart say Akiko Suzuki for her talent her comeback at a later age and the fact she was an underdog and for me underscored frequently. But I will never forget the huge heart of Midori Ito and those huge jumps yet she was an athlete not an artist and I like a blend. Last season I fell in love with Higuchi but Ineed to see more of her before she can make an all time list. So I guess my all time bronze is Akiko - the culture produces so many champions. I wish I could say I have been there or understand how it is Japan appreciates beauty and harmony and there is still some of that in ladies singles.

If you had to pick your three faves past or present Whois it and why? Oh and Mao even had a triple axel like her heroine Midori. Just Amazing the push to do the hardest jump for women.

Choosing top 3 men’s singles just in Japan is also really hard. Without ranking them for me the three greatest talents so far are Yuzu Shoma and Daisuke. Rewatching Daisuke at his peak is a huge jaw drop in blazing crazy fast intricate footwork and wow choreography. I cannot choose between Yuzu and Dai.

But definitely they are top two and Shoma very close to them and still developing.

Who do you love best in this so talented dynasty in skating?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Who do you love best in this so talented dynasty in skating?

First off, thank you for making it favourite and not 'best'... with any luck that will slow down the arguments since we love who we love :luv17: Mine are just the men...

I think people can guess number 1 :biggrin:

2 is, actually, umm, I can't pick between Takahito Mura and Nobunari Oda. I first 'met' Mura in Continues with Wings, being playfully bossed by Yuzuru and Sano, and being hilariously cheesed off with the pair of them; when I then went and checked his programs, I just loved how so warm and sweet-natured he came across in his skating (and you have to admit, his costumes were never dull). Oda is just plain adorable, and so much fun as well as (as he just proved) a fantastic skater.

Shoma comes third, yeah. The sleepy, slightly snarky baby panther is hard to resist.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Hanyu
Oda
Machida

Asada
Suzuki
Arakawa

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ladies
Asada
Arakawa
Miyahara

(Honorable Mention)Akiko Suzuki

Men
Hanyu
Machida
Takahashi

(Honorable Mention) Shomo Uno

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Ladies

Midori Ito
Satoko Miyahara
Akiko Suzuki or Kanako Murakami

Men

Daisuke Takahashi
Tatsuki Machida
Shoma Uno

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I have definite favorites...but then I can't rank them after that.

Ladies
Arakawa Shizuka

Maomaisattonrikakikowakabaa :laugh:

Men
Yuzuru Hanyu

Dainobukozukamurakazukimachidashomajesty :biggrin:

Last edited:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
This is easier if we exclude currently active skaters, so I shall do that!

Ladies (not in any particular order)
1 Mao Asada
2 Midori Ito
3 Akiko Suzuki
Honorable mention: Miki Ando

Men
1 Daisuke Takahashi
2 Tatsuki Machida
3 Nobunari Oda

Honorable mention: Takahiko Kozuka

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Easy peasy for me to select top 2 for either, with many runners-up for the 3rd spot.

In Men, 1. Yuzuru and 2. Sota. 3. - I also like Kazuki, Takahashi, and others.

In Ladies, Mao is my eternal number one, followed by Rika H. But I also liked Akiko and Haruka, and I like Satoko and Rin, and others.

What I like about all 4 of my favorites is that they're not just talented, but also incredibly charismatic, special in the stand-out way, graceful, sublime, passionate about skating, and generally lovely people. And they're great spinners. :biggrin:
ETA, I know it's strange of me to include Sota in my list since he's barely spent one season in seniors, but his skating moves me in a way few others' does.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Midori Ito, Yuka Sato, Satoko Miyahara - I :love: Mao, too!

Takahiko Kozuka, Takeshi Honda, Yuzuru Hanyu

In general, there are so many Japanese skaters that I really like! This was tough!!!!!

ioanna

Record Breaker
Satoko Miyahara
Akiko Suzuki
Mao Asada

Daisuke Takahashi
Tatsuki Machida
Yuzuru Hanyu

Reth

On the Ice
Yuzuru 😘
Nobunari Oda
Tatsuki Machida

Mao Asada
Akiko Suzuki
Satoko Miyahara

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Past: Takahashi

Present: Shoma

Past: Mao

Present: Satoko Miyahara

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Men:
1. Yuzuru Hanyu - double Oly Champion combining all the best that figure skating has to offer: technique, artistry, strength and delicacy at the same time, the "whole package" personified :luv17:
2. Shoma Uno - his posture and edgework is incredible, also intensity and artistry that cover his technique problems ;)
3. Daisuke Takahashi - Dai's technique and artistry have been matched only by a few Japanese skaters!
Honorable mention: Yuma Kagiyama - after watching JGP I've decided that Yuma is a Yuzuru - Shoma combo therefore I have high hopes for this young man!

Ladies:
1. Satoko Miyahara - despite her jump issues for me she is a true artist and has a real love for her sport which I highly admire. Her grace and flexibility (both physical and in various styles she is able to portrait ;)) is unmatched by any current senior lady.
2. Mao Asada - despite technical issues Mao is just an amazing artist and can transcend you into antother universe with her skating, similarly to Satoko although I think Mao is more intense.
3. Shizuka Arakawa - I find her skating soothing, she has great technique and is very artistic - features of a true Olympic Champion that she is ;)
Honorable mention - Rika Kihira - I think this girl has endless potential and I really hope she will show it in her first senior outings this year! :)

TTM

Rinkside
Country
Brazil
Men:

1. SHOMA UNO

2. DAISUKE TAKAHASHI

3. TAKAHIKO KOZUKA

Ladies:

MIDORI ITO / MAO ASADA

asiacheetah

On the Ice
This is easier if we exclude currently active skaters, so I shall do that!

Ladies (not in any particular order)
1 Mao Asada
2 Midori Ito
3 Akiko Suzuki
Honorable mention: Miki Ando

Men
1 Daisuke Takahashi
2 Tatsuki Machida
3 Nobunari Oda

Honorable mention: Takahiko Kozuka

Daisuke is currently active.

Mine:

Men: Yuzuru

Women: Tiny queen Satoko, Arakawa, Mao

Ulrica

On the Ice
Men;

1. Yuzuru Hanyu

I don't really have another one, but honorable mention to Shoma Uno whose artistry is a joy to watch.

Women;

1. Mao Asada
2. Shizuka Arakawa
3. Kihira/Sakamoto