Marina Zueva is teaching in Florida now? | Golden Skate

Marina Zueva is teaching in Florida now?

tinseltown

Spectator
Rumor (TSL) has it that Marina Zueva has moved to Florida. What does it mean for her team in Canton? Has anyone heard more about this?

Andrea82

Medalist
I think Reed/Ambrulevicius were her only Senior team left this season (Shibutani/Shibutani are taking the season off, Muramato/Reed and Lorenz/Polizoakis split). Judging by their social media, they seem to have been training in Oberstdorf (Germany) in the last month. They skated at Budapest international event last week and they are on the entry list for one in Latvia in two weeks and then they have Rostelecom and French GPs. Therefore, I guess they will stay in Europe in the next month too.

Giselle

Medalist
She also have/had Lewis/Bye who are taking the year off.

Where is Massimo Scali? Still in Canton?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wonder if Zueva is getting ready for retirement. I thought she was involved with working with Gordeeva and Grinkov and that was 30 years ago.

lavoix

Match Penalty
Zueva's time has passed, no matter where she moves to, nothing can be changed.

Technically, she is still very superior to most coaches.

I hope she can at least do some sort of consulting if she does indeed intend to give up coaching.

Spinning

On the Ice
Technically, she is still very superior to most coaches.

I hope she can at least do some sort of consulting if she does indeed intend to give up coaching.

Yes she did some great works with single skaters such as Julia, Nathan and Marin. As a consultant, she could bring her superior artistry into the mixes.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I could see her taking scissors to Nathan's hair. Regardless of what she does she has developed some of the most famous, influential and amazing skaters ie. Gordeeva and Grinkov, Davis and White, The Shibs, Virtue and Moir... She should try begging Weapo and focus on them and make them into contenders.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I could see her taking scissors to Nathan's hair. Regardless of what she does she has developed some of the most famous, influential and amazing skaters ie. Gordeeva and Grinkov, Davis and White, The Shibs, Virtue and Moir... She should try begging Weapo and focus on them and make them into contenders.

Why would she do that when she has nothing to do with Nathan??!

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Scali is in Chicago, according to his instagram post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl-pWTQDsMd/

Woah! That's very interesting. I heard from a not particularly reliable source that some coaches were hoping to make Chicago the new Canton, using the Fox Valley Ice Arena as their training base. Close to the airport, close to a big city, just much more convenient both nationally and internationally. No idea if that's actually happening...

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
There's no need to make this thread a referendom on Marina as a coach. Her teams have won more Olympic and international medals than most coaches can dream of. And her choreography and coaching have helped a great many more champions develop into the ones they are today. The question is whether she is redefining her career now, which seems likely and which has probably led many of her athletes to make changes in their own plans for the future. As of the moment, no one seems to know exactly what Marina's plans are. I appreciate the insight that she may be working with athletes in Florida. And I hope she will stay in the sport for as long as she wishes. Her ability to accentuate the musical highlights within a piece and fine-tune a program to the very last detail by the end of a season is a rare gift.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FWIW, Marina is in Canton today (Halloween) -- if my eyes do not deceive me.

Jeffrey Chen's Instagram has a group photo of Team Canton in Halloween costumes.

Pretty sure that it is Marina who is wearing the red nose, bunny ears, and red scarf. In the second row (crouching or kneeling) next to Johnny Johns.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpnQMR8F4aI/?taken-by=jeffreychensk8 (Oct 31) -- scroll/swipe to second photo​

ETA:

- Chris Reed posted the same (or a very similar) photo.

- Burning question from me:

Is Logan Bye at the right of these photos??

Wearing a yellow hood/hat with floppy ears?​

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Jeffrey Chen's Instagram has a group photo of Team Canton in Halloween costumes.

Pretty sure that it is Marina who is wearing the red nose, bunny ears, and red scarf. In the second row (crouching or kneeling) next to Johnny Johns.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpnQMR8F4aI/?taken-by=jeffreychensk8 (Oct 31) -- scroll/swipe to second photo​

ETA:

If you are talking about the guy dressed as the Toy Story Alien (green hood with the ears) then yes that looks to be Bye.

Andrea82

Medalist

ETA:

yes, it is him. He was in one of Claire Purnell's IG Stories from the rink yesterday dressed in that costume.