Scraping noises | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Scraping noises

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Let me know how it goes, just out of curiosity.

FWIW, I've been in Coronation Aces my entire skating life, so who knows it could be something to do with the blade. I just always thought the problem lay with me.

It seems rather unlikely that all Coronation Aces would be particularly noisy or made improperly, though it's interesting that we both are having trouble with our Coro Aces. I'm considering trying the MK Professional next time around as I'd like to stick to the 7 foot rocker now. I'll definitely report back after seeing my sharpener, but I probably won't make it up there for another three weeks or so.

Nimyue

On the Ice
It seems rather unlikely that all Coronation Aces would be particularly noisy or made improperly, though it's interesting that we both are having trouble with our Coro Aces. I'm considering trying the MK Professional next time around as I'd like to stick to the 7 foot rocker now. I'll definitely report back after seeing my sharpener, but I probably won't make it up there for another three weeks or so.

Just FYI, MK is owned by John Wilson, and they are both made in Sheffield. The only difference should be the profiles ;)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Let me know how it goes, just out of curiosity.

FWIW, I've been in Coronation Aces my entire skating life, so who knows it could be something to do with the blade. I just always thought the problem lay with me.
Over the years I've gone through about five pairs of Coronation Aces (standard version, not parabolic and not Revolution). They are not inherently noisy (either by construction, materials, or profile).

bunnybarista

On the Ice
Over the years I've gone through about five pairs of Coronation Aces (standard version, not parabolic and not Revolution). They are not inherently noisy (either by construction, materials, or profile).

Yep, I figured as much - definitely something wrong with me, or the sharpening, or these individual blades, or all of the above, but not the blade by design.

bunnybarista

On the Ice
Just FYI, MK is owned by John Wilson, and they are both made in Sheffield. The only difference should be the profiles ;)

I'm aware that they are owned by the same company - the change wouldn't be to go from one company to another, but to try the slightly different profile of the MK Professional. If I'm going to be spending money on a new blade to replace my potentially wonky current blades, it would be the prime opportunity to try the Professional instead. We'll see... :)

bunnybarista

On the Ice
I thought I'd just post an update: I went to my original fitter (not the fitter who sold me the blades with weird noises) and he immediately identified the problem: the right blade was mounted crooked / angled. This means my boot would be facing forwards but the blade would actually be pointed slightly sideways so I'd been trying to force the blade to go straight when it was actually at an angle, causing this horrible sound. So he realigned the blade, double-checked the left side, and sent me off with a lovely, fresh sharpening and... ta da... no scraping! Beautiful, silent, solid strokes that feel 1000x better now. I am relieved that it was such a simple fix! (And, frankly, rather disappointed in the other fitter for such an obvious mistake, especially as he has a great reputation.)