Tweets | Golden Skate

Tweets

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am not very good at figuring out people...
I do go to twitter once in a while to see what people say, spur of the moment, so to speak.
I decided to follow Liz's tweets on twitter.
Does she have her tounge firmly planted in her cheek or is this her song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCsNunGnqE0

Put it like this - I hope this is all tongue in cheek. Because, although I do think she is "perfect in every way" (hey, I'm a red-blooded male, after all!), I really do not like cocky people. And if this is what she is really like, then I would seriously go off her.

And given how much I have put into supporting her up to now (hey, you only have to look at my usename and custom user title on here - they are both based on her!), it would be a real shame if it turns out that I had got her so wrong for all these years.

CaroLiza_fan

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Put it like this - I hope this is all tongue in cheek. Because, although I do think she is "perfect in every way" (hey, I'm a red-blooded male, after all!), I really do not like cocky people. And if this is what she is really like, then I would seriously go off her.

And given how much I have put into supporting her up to now (hey, you only have to look at my usename and custom user title on here - they are both based on her!), it would be a real shame if it turns out that I had got her so wrong for all these years.

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks for the comeback. There was a certain Russian Figure skater who competed against MK than would say things off the cuff that were kind of cheeky...sometimes, when a person is of a different culture and speaks English as a second or ? language, things just come out wrong, or maybe there are just cultural differences. Funny story. One day I was out working on my land and a new white SUV pulled into our driveway. Out stepped a beautiful blond lady dressed to the 9s. I thought she was lost as is often the case out here. She introduced herself in her excellent English but it was clear she was probably Russian. She was interested in training a dog she obtained and she saw my wife's agility equipment. I called my wife and let them talk and bad person that I am I looked her up on the internet. She left Russia after graduating college and did this and that in the US, till coming to Spokane and representing a Pot growing firm, which we have many of. But her social media was much like Liz's. And not only about herself but about Russia. "Russian women are the most beautiful..." etc. Just remembered that story after seeing Liz's posts....I will follow her for awhile and see what happens ..... I am just glad she dumped those bat wing outfits!!! ;)

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I’ve taught ESL and have, at one point or another, had varying degrees of proficiency in somehow like a dozen languages, so I’m pretty used to tone being lost, differences in cultural norms, etc. Whenever there’s an issue of tone (such as “is this person trying to start a flame war, is this a joke or not,” etc.), I think it’s best to give benefit of the doubt to whomever is least fluent in the language being used — which is an informal rule that’s worked pretty well for me my entire life, actually. Absent other information that suggests malicious intent, err on the side of good faith and you’ll be right the overwhelming majority of the time.

Elizaveta is almost certainly joking. It also helps to remember that she’s young (21), relatively famous (not to the average American, but certainly within Russia and the skating community), and that Twitter doesn’t allow for nuance. Her Twitter persona seems to be centered around making puns (which is crazy, given that she apparently learned English largely through American TV), teasing new developments (such as her Toxic EX, which she hinted at on Twitter), supporting her fellow skaters and celebrating her own accomplishments. But a bit of braggadocio after a competition is quite different from actual ego — Liz is also very supportive of other skaters. Heck, if her “mean” Tweets are mean, our competition live threads are a war crime. ;) I think the body of evidence points to her latest Tweets being done tongue in cheek, but I also think she’s proud of herself, enjoying her current success, and feeling good about proving her loudest detractors wrong. There’s nothing wrong with a bit of “the best revenge is living well,” but I doubt she’s as sassy in real life as she is on Twitter, let alone that she’s like that all the time.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
She tweeted either today or yesterday that she tweets things that are puns or amusing and that people need to stop taking everything she tweets seriously.