Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: 2018 NHK Trophy: Predictions Game Round 4

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohacz View Post
    One remark regarding spelling. The names of Tiffani Zagorski and Carolane Soucisse suffered from quite numerous spelling variations. The same, although to much less extent, with Jonathan Guerreiro and even Gabriella Papadakis. The task of clearing the data and giving them the correct format is quite laborious without correcting the spelling mistakes, so in the future if you are not sure about how to spell someone's name, just copy it from respective Prediction Game's original post. Caro_Liza fan always puts a complete list there.

And one more suggestion that may make the life of the scorer a bit easier: put the names in the form of a list (one name below the other one) and not all the names in one line (it requires more manual work for us).
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    I think for Tiffani it's understandable, since her name has been spelled both Tiffani Zagorski and Tiffany Zahorski. Her ISU bio currently uses the first one, but she spells her first name with a 'y' on her Instagram, for example, and her Wikipedia page uses the 2nd spelling. But Carolane only has one correct spelling for her name, and I think the same is true for the others, so those as just misspellings.
    The way that the ISU has been using the double transliteration spelling of Tiffany's name the past couple of years rather than the proper spelling really does my head in. Especially when they used to use the proper spelling before she started representing Russia (e.g. her ISU Bio with Alexis MIART).

Whatever happened to continuity?! It's not as if she has got married and is using her husband's surname now (à la Maylin Hausch, for example). It's only different because somebody in the Russian Fed's office was filling out the forms and couldn't be bothered finding the proper Latin spelling of her name, so instead just transliterated the Cyrillic version back into Latin characters.

Because of this, I have been going out of my way to use the proper spelling every time I mention her. But, for the predictions game OP's, I just copy the tables over from the ISU website to avoid arguments arising.

Due to the confusion over the spelling of Tiffany's name, and because Jonathan's surname is a name that can be easily mis-spelt because of all the vowels in a row, I tended to use "TIF" for the coding whenever I was scoring a competition they were in.

As for Carolane and Gabriella (who didn't matter in the end because she and Guillaume withdrew), I would have thought their surnames would be easy enough to get the first 3 letters right for...

CaroLiza_fan

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyB View Post
    Terribly sorry, guys!

Somebody must have changed it already. The scores in the spreadsheet are now correct.
    I just checked, and it still has 45 but should have 50.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post

CaroLiza_fan
    CaroLiza_fan, could you please have a look at the complaint below. Thank you so much. Did I fill in the wrong sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by Weathergal View Post
    It is so clearly 50 points when I look at it. I wish I could send you a screen shot. Am I looking at the wrong sheet?

0 Not allowed!
    CaroLiza_fan, could you please have a look at the complaint below. Thank you so much. Did I fill in the wrong sheet?

It is so clearly 50 points when I look at it. I wish I could send you a screen shot. Am I looking at the wrong sheet?
    Is it the NHK or Helsinki we are talking about? Because in the scoresheet Weathergal's score for the NHK is down as 50, and her score for Helsinki is down as 45.

Hang on, looking at the names of the skaters and their scores in Weathergal's previous post, it is definitely the NHK that she is talking about.

So, it looks correct to me.

CaroLiza_fan

0 Not allowed!

Not a complaint - just confusion. I am so sorry. I have no idea WHAT I was looking at.

Is it the NHK or Helsinki we are talking about? Because in the scoresheet Weathergal's score for the NHK is down as 50, and her score for Helsinki is down as 45.

Hang on, looking at the names of the skaters and their scores in Weathergal's previous post, it is definitely the NHK that she is talking about.

CaroLiza_fan
    I suspect you're correct. I popped in this morning just to see how I was doing overall, and I must have not gone far enough to the right. Ugh I am such a dolt! Sorry for all the confusion I caused. I am sure you are both busy and don't need me to invent errors! Next time I look at the spreadsheet, I will caffeinate first.

1 Not allowed!
    Not a complaint - just confusion. I am so sorry. I have no idea WHAT I was looking at.

I suspect you're correct. I popped in this morning just to see how I was doing overall, and I must have not gone far enough to the right. Ugh I am such a dolt! Sorry for all the confusion I caused. I am sure you are both busy and don't need me to invent errors! Next time I look at the spreadsheet, I will caffeinate first.

Oh, don't worry. I have made some whopping mistakes on this forum when I have looked at things too early in the morning when I'm not half awake. Or when I have been reading things quickly. And have got a lot of people shouting at me as a result.

So, I can totally relate.

All's good!

CaroLiza_fan

0 Not allowed!

No worries at all. It could have been me, I'm a bit thick when it comes to spreadsheets, but I'm glad everything is okay now. I therefore suspect that thexfireball's score was also correct right from the start as both scores were exactly what they should be when I checked the first time around. Wow, that's a relief, cause I hate it when I mess up things for somebody else.

CaroLiza_fan
    Thank you so much!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12