2021 Four Continents Bid: AUS or TPE | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2021 Four Continents Bid: AUS or TPE

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I don't think I've ever seen a senior ISU event in Australia, so I would just like it there first. Taipei has held the event before. That said, travelling Japanese and Chinese fans would probably like it to be in Taipei for the closer distance.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
What is the weather like in Taipeh in February? I don't know if I would fly into Australia for a figure skating competition in February as a top skater, seems risky.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
What is the weather like in Taipeh in February? I don't know if I would fly into Australia for a figure skating competition in February as a top skater, seems risky.

It's generally 15-20 degrees... could be as low as 10-12 degrees if there happens to be a "brutal" cold front, or as high as 25 degrees. One thing you can count on is the humidity, and more likely than not it will be raining :)

livetoskate

On the Ice
Trying to recall when I was in Taipei in February. Yes, it rained off and on and was a little cold, so we had to always wear long sleeves, jeans, and a jacket. I guess it was about 45-55 degrees Fahrenheit, not too cold. It was much better than going there in May, when it started being unbearably hot and humid by 8am.

At last year's 4 Continents, it didn't look like a good audience turn out. However, I'd be excited to go if it's in Taipei again, since I have relatives there.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

What's risky about Melbourne's February weather? I mean okay maybe it'd jump to high 30s a few days but that's fine, we can all go to the beach afterwards.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I would think that for most athletes of winter sports to fly into high summer for a competition might not be the best for the body. Of course I would be thrilled for you to get 4CC, don't get me wrong, I just think that perhaps not as many skaters would like to take that risk and then you'd have not that many attending.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Given how many of our winter sports athletes fly from high summer into the depths of winter to compete on a regular basis, with all the physical and psychological disadvantages that entails, I don't see why the knife boot shouldn't be on the other foot for a change.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Given how many of our winter sports athletes fly from high summer into the depths of winter to compete on a regular basis, with all the physical and psychological disadvantages that entails, I don't see why the knife boot shouldn't be on the other foot for a change.

Yes, but will they, if they don't need to? Australian Winter Athletes do not have a choice. I'm not saying this to be mean, believe me. I would love for you guys to have a big competition.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Is flying from Japan or China to Australia really any worse than flying from the same places to America?

If they can have an awesome Olympics in Sydney then why not 4CC?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
It's not the distance, but the fact that it's summer in Australia - the flight itself is not the problem. A temperature change like that in the middle of the season - I think quite a few won't risk that. It's not the last competition of the season either. You never know how it affects your body. Granted I'm no athlete and from Europe - perhaps I underestimate them. And I don't mean that the Australians are not able to hold such an event, no, no.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
Not to mention Australia's proximity to Japan means they'd certainly get a lot of Japanese fans... no?

I hardly think an 8 hours flight from Tokyo to Australia is close.

It's generally 15-20 degrees... could be as low as 10-12 degrees if there happens to be a "brutal" cold front, or as high as 25 degrees. One thing you can count on is the humidity, and more likely than not it will be raining :)

I hope you mean Celsius. Taiwan is sub-tropical and does not drop below 50s in the winter unless you are in the mountains. Think Pacific Northwest (minus this year's freak snow storm) as the winter weather.

I don't think I've ever seen a senior ISU event in Australia, so I would just like it there first. Taipei has held the event before. That said, travelling Japanese and Chinese fans would probably like it to be in Taipei for the closer distance.

Every Japanese person I've spoken to loved traveling to Taiwan.

Taiwan might not like the Mainland Chinese tourists, but they are used to getting massive amount of them.

I think the last few times 4CC was held in Taipei, tickets were free. I wish I had been able to go, but I was already travelling to PC and needed to save my money. Too bad, regardless of where it's held, I will probably be back in the US by then and that flight is not cheap.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There might be concerns with the ice quality if it was getting into the 30°C range. I know that in the NHL, the players all say that the worst ice is in the hot markets like Florida and California. But then, issues with the ice aren't a unique thing.

But it seems to me that the bigger issue for the Australian bid is the arena size.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I’m confused. Why isn’t 2021 four continents being held in Beijing at the 2022 olympics venue?
It’s been the tradition since the very beginning of four continents hasn’t it?
2001 SLC
2009 Vancouver
2017 Pyeongchang

I’m surprised that China won’t be using it as the test skate event for Beijing. Maybe they’ll use GPF as a test event instead like Sochi.

Update per today's ISU summary:

SYDNEY (no longer Melbourne), *Beijing*, and Taipei now are the three bids for 2021 Four Continents.

https://isu.org/inside-isu/rules-re...-summary-of-championships-season-2021-22/file

No update on the ISU site to the document comparing 2021 Four Continent bids. Still the old one from May 2018, comparing Melbourne and Taipei.

Side notes:

For pre-OWG 2022 Four Continents, the sole bidder is Taipei.

For 2022 Junior Worlds, the sole bidder is Tashkent, Uzbekistan. Mentioning just b/c I think it is interesting.​

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Does the bidding federation need to provide all the price money too? Or does that still come from the Japanese sponsors?

About JWC or separate JGPF bids, a federation is likely to loose money on these events. JWC have been poorly attended despite the incredible level of skating from the top juniors. The level drops quite sharply, so a all events pass is only for die hard fans.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Update per today's ISU summary:

SYDNEY (no longer Melbourne), Beijing, and Taipei now are the three bids for 2021 Four Continents.

Oh, that's interesting - it's just been announced that the Macquarie Ice Rink, which was in danger of being demolished, has had its lease extended to 31 January 2021, which is just a couple of weeks short of this event. Are they hoping to get another few weeks to hold the event there, or have they nominated another rink?

It looks like they weren't able to sort out whatever issues were causing problems with Melbourne's bid though (insufficent rinkside space/access for filming requirements is what I heard, though I don't know how accurate that might have been). That's a bit of a shame.

icybear

Medalist
Why does Taipei keep hosting 4CC? Surely they make no profit and I heard that they gave out their tickets for free last time.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh, that's interesting - it's just been announced that the Macquarie Ice Rink, which was in danger of being demolished, has had its lease extended to 31 January 2021, which is just a couple of weeks short of this event. Are they hoping to get another few weeks to hold the event there, or have they nominated another rink?

It looks like they weren't able to sort out whatever issues were causing problems with Melbourne's bid though (insufficent rinkside space/access for filming requirements is what I heard, though I don't know how accurate that might have been). That's a bit of a shame.

I'm not sure it matters. I'd guess that Beijing will get it for sure if they want it, since they have to do an Olympic test event anyways, and the 4CCs the year before has been used for that in the past.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I'm not sure it matters. I'd guess that Beijing will get it for sure if they want it, since they have to do an Olympic test event anyways, and the 4CCs the year before has been used for that in the past.

Most likely. CHN government has unlimited funds.

Would have loved to see the Austalian federation get it. They need a boost. Will they also get some wildcards?

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

I can't imagine Beijing will get the GPF (which they already have) and 4CCs during the same season.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Didn’t they already announce the 2020-21 Grand Prix Final for Beijing?