2021 Four Continents Bid: AUS or TPE | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2021 Four Continents Bid: AUS or TPE

frida80

Record Breaker
Why does Taipei keep hosting 4CC? Surely they make no profit and I heard that they gave out their tickets for free last time.

There the only ones that will take unwanted competitions. I’m sure the ISU has a struggle getting a venue with 4CC, and often with JW and JGP. There’s no suprised that the second Asian Open CS will be in Taipei. :palmf:

It’s unbelievable that skating in Japan has the level popularity it has, and they haven’t hosted 4CC in ages. Maybe it’s for the pragmatic decision so their own team won’t peak just before Worlds. :think:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Update per today's ISU summary:

SYDNEY (no longer Melbourne), *Beijing*, and Taipei now are the three bids for 2021 Four Continents.

https://isu.org/inside-isu/rules-re...-summary-of-championships-season-2021-22/file

I assume it'd be Acer Arena or whatever it's called now. EDIT: Qudos Bank Arena. At the Olympic Park, where they hold Disney on Ice.

But, I see China on the list...goodbye, Four Continents, it was a nice dream that the ISU might pick us. *gloomy sigh*

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It’s unbelievable that skating in Japan has the level popularity it has, and they haven’t hosted 4CC in ages. Maybe it’s for the pragmatic decision so their own team won’t peak just before Worlds. :think:
Canada hasn't hosted since the Vancouver test event the year before the Olympics, an even longer time, for whatever reason.

frida80

Record Breaker
Canada hasn't hosted since the Vancouver test event the year before the Olympics, an even longer time, for whatever reason.

Both those places would get great audiences. Look at the attendance of JGP Richmond vs all the other JGP. Not to mention the attendance at Autumn Classic. It's really frustrating.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
I see Beijing with a bid. They have a higher chance at winning. It’s like a test event for the 2022 Olympics. For example:
2017 Four Continents - Pyeongchang
2012-13 GPF - Sochi
2009 Four Continents - Vancouver

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I see Beijing with a bid. They have a higher chance at winning. It’s like a test event for the 2022 Olympics. For example:
2017 Four Continents - Pyeongchang
2012-13 GPF - Sochi
2009 Four Continents - Vancouver

Beijing already has the GPF in the 2020-2021 season, so it seems unlikely that they'll be given a second major championship on top of that.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Congratulations to Sydney! It would’ve been crazy for Beijing to host it since they already have the 2020 GPF. Nice to see the ISU finally handing Australia some recognition!

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Yay Sydney! :) Congrats!
I think it will be a great event!

And 2022: Euros in Tallinn, Worlds in Montpellier

chaser

Rinkside
February: hottest month of the year in Sydney Wikipedia says, but the high humidity drops when temps go over 35 degrees Celsius.
How many volunteers does a 4CC require? Does anyone know that?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
February: hottest month of the year in Sydney Wikipedia says, but the high humidity drops when temps go over 35 degrees Celsius.
How many volunteers does a 4CC require? Does anyone know that?

Probably a lot. We'll see what happens when more info comes out. For the moment I'm just curious about the venue.

chaser

Rinkside
Probably a lot. We'll see what happens when more info comes out. For the moment I'm just curious about the venue.

Yes. I do know the Synch World Championships this year required 600 volunteers.
4CC would be way less, but still in the hundreds. :eeking:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I assume it'd be Acer Arena or whatever it's called now. EDIT: Qudos Bank Arena. At the Olympic Park, where they hold Disney on Ice.

Ding ding ding, I was right!

ISA just announced it'll be at the Sydney Olympic Park and the only place to hold it there is Qudos Bank Arena.

Qudos Bank is a nice arena, there's loads of hotels in the area, and hopefully ISA have managed to swing it so the train runs direct to the city for the duration of the event.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Sydney olympic park is on the train line too so it's easy to access. And the arena is close to the station.
It isn't the shortest train ride to Olympic Park from Central Station in Sydney CBD- about 40 minutes with a change at Lidcombe Station.

There are places to eat around the arena but I would rather buy food elsewhere and bring to the park. There is also food in the arena, but as you might guess, it's expensive.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Update per today's ISU summary:

… Side notes:

For pre-OWG 2022 Four Continents, the sole bidder is Taipei.

For 2022 Junior Worlds, the sole bidder is Tashkent, Uzbekistan. Mentioning just b/c I think it is interesting.​

Not quite on topic, but updates to these 2022 bid announcements from Apr 2019 are in the Decisions of ISU Council published today (ISU Communication No. 2262):

ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships to be held on January 17-22, 2022
The Council decided to postpone the allotment of this Championships. ISU Members are therefore invited to submit applications by September 15, 2019 in line with ISU Communication No. 2231.​

ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships to be held on March 7-13, 2022
The Council decided to postpone the allotment of this Championships. ISU Members are therefore invited to submit applications by September 15, 2019 in line with ISU Communication No. 2231.​

Seems we now have a pattern of cases of the ISU postponing allotments and reopening the application process.