2018 GP Helsinki: Thoughts, Analysis & Reviews | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 GP Helsinki: Thoughts, Analysis & Reviews

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I wrote up how I made my best ranking predictions so far and would like to share it. I'm not sure if this is the best thread for it but it does contain some analysis concerning Grand Prix Helsinki!

GRAND PRIX SKATING PREDICTIONS GAME - HOW TO MAKE A WINNING LIST

This is how I chose a gold medal prediction for the Men in the GP Helsinki 2018.

First, start with the list of men, handily provided (thank you CaroLiza_fan):
WHOLE POST

I found this most amusing! Update us on how this strategy worked out in the soon to be posted NHK Analysis thread! :points:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
well....it does say analysis in the title of the thread. Sorry but if we can't discuss scoring abnormalities regarding skaters who were actually at this event here then im confused as to where else we're supposed to take this. If we make another thread just about "Alina Zagitova is being Overscored" that opens the door for many trolls and negative, toxic people to come in and just complain and whine and that thread will surely be closed before anyone will have the chance to say 'Evgenia Medvedeva'

If you don't like reading these things then just hang out in the fan fests. We're not being overly critical to Alina by discussing her overblown scores and if you think people are then the 'report' and 'ignore' button exists for a reason
Yeah, my wrong. I was thinking it was just a criticizing from your part. When indeed was the real 'analyses' of the competition ;)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved Charlie White's commentary. Almost as good to me as John Coughlin and that is high praise coming from me. The worst thing was that horrible ad with the ugly feet. It distracted me from all else. And at center ice, gah. Beautiful skater/ugly feet. Fabulous spin/ugly feet. Over and over. Like something out of a nightmare. Should be illegal.

Also: No one should skate to Carmen (I'm starting to sound like Johnny Weir). My favorite part of any skating competition when Hanyu skates is the Unleashing of the Poohs. I wonder how long the sweepers have to train to corral them all in a timely fashion.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
There is nothing wrong with criticizing the judging or scoring of skaters or events, but what I find disturbing is how so many of them often seem to become personal attacks on the skaters who that particular poster (or posters) actively dislikes. When you look at who is doing the criticizing, you will find a subset of posters who frequently hate only on Alina, other posters who love to hate on Satoko (just look at the NHK thread) and of course those who hate on Zhenya. These posters also seem unable to find any merits in the skaters they are criticizing. That’s why it’s hard for me to take their “criticisms” seriously.

Yes, the extreme bias/obvious agendas of certain ultra anti-fans is so blatant it’s funny. It certainly exists with men too. E.g. — When Kolyada messes up it’s because he lacks “character,” but when his closest rival messes up oh it’s just silly mistakes or early in the season or suspected injury; when Kolyada gets good results it’s never due to his skating but because he’s always unfairly gifted by the judges or benefited from others’ mistakes, but conversely when his compatriot gets good results it’s bc he’s deserving. LOL, at least it’s good for entertainment ;)

Danibellerika

Medalist
I loved Charlie White's commentary. Almost as good to me as John Coughlin and that is high praise coming from me. The worst thing was that horrible ad with the ugly feet. It distracted me from all else. And at center ice, gah. Beautiful skater/ugly feet. Fabulous spin/ugly feet. Over and over. Like something out of a nightmare. Should be illegal.

Also: No one should skate to Carmen (I'm starting to sound like Johnny Weir). My favorite part of any skating competition when Hanyu skates is the Unleashing of the Poohs. I wonder how long the sweepers have to train to corral them all in a timely fashion.

Charlie is fantastic and has a lot of technical knowledge even for singles. He's also not afraid of being critical. If any one gets NBC Olympics in 4K I recommend listening to Charlie's commentary. It was there he revealed that before he switched to ice dance he actually had all of his triples up to the axel, so that explains a lot.

Casual

On the Ice
There is nothing wrong with criticizing the judging or scoring of skaters or events, but what I find disturbing is how so many of them often seem to become personal attacks on the skaters who that particular poster (or posters) actively dislikes. When you look at who is doing the criticizing, you will find a subset of posters who frequently hate only on Alina, other posters who love to hate on Satoko (just look at the NHK thread) and of course those who hate on Zhenya. These posters also seem unable to find any merits in the skaters they are criticizing. That’s why it’s hard for me to take their “criticisms” seriously.

What I find disturbing is debating posters instead of debating their opinions. Don't you see an irony in your attacking posters (living breathing people who participate in this discussion), while begrudging them a perceived personal attack on skaters (media figures in public competitions)?

You might disagree about the judging (were you happy with the Helsinki ladies' judging, and if so, why?), but it will be hard to take your argument seriously if it's based purely on invalidating others due to their perceived likes or dislikes.

You're right, sometimes it's annoying to see someone consistently praise or criticize a skater in stark contrast to what *we* feel about the same skater. Yet, even a very pronounced bias doesn't mean that particular bias is not valid. (Maybe it's your bias that's wrong? Or maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle?)

After all, we wouldn't invalidate anything Johnny Weir says, just because he's an unapologetic starry-eyed promoter of the Russians, would we? Because what matters is not our personal likes, dislikes, or fannishness, but whether a valid point was made, especially when supported by corroborating evidence.

We'll never find out whose opinions have merit - unless we debate ideas, not people.

Casual

On the Ice
Charlie is fantastic and has a lot of technical knowledge even for singles. He's also not afraid of being critical. If any one gets NBC Olympics in 4K I recommend listening to Charlie's commentary. It was there he revealed that before he switched to ice dance he actually had all of his triples up to the axel, so that explains a lot.

ITA. I enjoyed Charlie's commentary immensely - so knowledgeable; so deep and detailed; and not afraid of being critical, but never mean.

I hope we'll see (hear) more of him.