2018-19 Men's Power Rankings | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Men's Power Rankings

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This is going to impact on Yuzuru's place... how can it not, when he will miss the GPF and probably Nationals? But even if it sounds hopelessly fannish, I have to just mention that, even with everything that should have turned that freeskate into a disaster (the aborted practice, the pain, having to rework the whole layout with no time) he still earned a high enough score to make his combined total the third highest so far this season. And Nathan's - the second highest, all credit to him and on home soil - is only just over 2 points higher.

This is of course due mainly to that staggering SP, no one can deny it, but it still speaks to the fact that, when he's back later in the season, he's going to still be a hell of a force to reckon with, so the power rankings may, like heading for the Olympics, have to keep that in mind.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is going to impact on Yuzuru's place... how can it not, when he will miss the GPF and probably Nationals? But even if it sounds hopelessly fannish, I have to just mention that, even with everything that should have turned that freeskate into a disaster (the shock, the pain, having to rework the whole layout with no time) he still earned a high enough score to make his combined total the third highest so far this season. And Nathan's - the second highest and on home soil - is only just over 2 points higher.

This is of course due mainly to that staggering SP, no one can deny it, but it still speaks to the fact that, when he's back later in the season, he's going to still be a hell of a force to reckon with, so the power rankings may, like heading for the Olympics, have to keep that in mind.

Yes, the power rankings, in any sport, are a point in time. It doesn't necessarily predict what will happen. I expect Yuzu will be absolutely dominant when he recovers.

rachno2

Record Breaker
1. Yuzuru Hanyu - no change. I was considering moving him to #3 in light of his injury and probable absence from GPF, but his ability to dominate despite all circumstances only speaks to his insane competitive spirit and will of character. If he rests up correctly, then he will return to dominate at 4CCs. If the injury gets more serious, then I will move him down.
2. Shoma Uno - no change, except his #2 spot looks even more secure given those consistently high GOEs and PCS. On a less snarky note, his FS really does look a lot better with each competition.
3. Nathan Chen - no change
4. Junhwan Cha (+3) It looks like he will be in GPF, and with this comes the opportunity to build his reputation and consolidate his consistency. He has made a loud statement this season and is in a fantastic position looking ahead to 4CCs and Worlds. Momentum is on his side.
5. Michal Brezina (+1) He is now guaranteed a spot in GPF and thus deserves to be seen as a top man
6. Sergei Voronov (new) Like Brezina, his qualification to GPF speaks for itself. With three spots for Worlds this year, I think RusFed would be stupid not to give him one, as he has proven to be the most reliable Russian man.
7. Alexander Samarin (new) - He has an opportunity at IdF to take the last spot or first alternate slot for GPF. He also has the opportunity here to present himself as the younger/more technically consistent alternative to Kolyada, so we might see him at Euros/Worlds.
8. Keegan Messing (-2) He might still go to GPF given Yuzuru’s probable withdrawal, and this would be an opportunity to gain back the momentum he lost at CoR.
9. Boyang Jin (-1) I know we haven't seen him at IdF, but Boyang should be included in any power ranking purely based on his base value and previous Worlds medals. Hopefully he can move up in the rankings :pray:
10. Kazuki Tomono (new) He showed he is a force to be reckoned with at Worlds 2018, and he showed it again at CoR. The clear frontrunner for Japan's third Worlds spot.
11. Mikhail Kolyada (-6) I had a feeling things were going to get worse before they got better. Hopefully the worst is over, because if he underperforms at RusNats then I seriously doubt he will go to Euros/Worlds, and I don't want to live in that timeline.
12. Matteo Rizzo (new) He is now a GP medalist and should be seen as a podium threat for what looks to be an unusually exciting Euros.
13. Morisi Kvitelashvili (new) I don’t anticipate him repeating those CoR skates, but didn’t we all say the same thing about Brezina after Skate America?
14. Dmitri Aliev (new)- when he fails, he fails spectacularly, but when he succeeds, the judges reward him. What will he do at IdF?
15. Andrei Lazukin (new)- everybody talks about the women's competition at Russian Nationals, but the men's is going to be the real blood bath in that it has the potential to be a splatfest which will put Worlds 2018 to shame. They are all hot messes and they all have an equal shot at making that team.
16. Nam Nguyen (new) - Looking good for Canadian #2 so far, but who knows?
17. Vincent Zhou (new) The judges are sending him a clear message, and it is not a favorable one. He faces a monumental uphill battle going forward.

Total Question Marks

1. Daisuke Takahashi- he could make the Worlds team, but the path will not be easy: at Japanese Nationals, he has to contend with Shoma, Kazuki and Sota.
2. Daniel Grassl- he could make a run for the increasingly interesting Euros title, or he could fall apart.
3. Roman Sadovsky- potential is there to take Canada’s #2 spot, but he has a tendency toward meltdowns.
4. Sota Yamamoto- needs to stabilize jumps, but he could challenge for Japan’s #3 spot.

century2009

On the Ice
This is going to impact on Yuzuru's place... how can it not, when he will miss the GPF and probably Nationals? But even if it sounds hopelessly fannish, I have to just mention that, even with everything that should have turned that freeskate into a disaster (the aborted practice, the pain, having to rework the whole layout with no time) he still earned a high enough score to make his combined total the third highest so far this season. And Nathan's - the second highest, all credit to him and on home soil - is only just over 2 points higher.

Yeah, I think we know that none of the Top3 guys have any competition in their events. It is really a battle between Hanyu, Nathan, and Shoma.

With Hanyu out, I cant rank him when he didnt compete in events anymore until he gets better.

I cant deny he can do well, but how does he stack with Shoma and Nathan there? How does the judges change there score when they are there?

Like in Skate America, the judging was crazy strict so far of all the events, so hard to compare apples and oranges without them 3 at the same event with the same judges.

I was looking forward to this battle between the 3 Top guys. And see how they perform, as they are exciting to watch them battle.

It will be Shoma and Nathan again.

Shoma will need to be clean to battle Nathan if he does at least 4 quads. Will Nathan do 4 or 5 or 6 quads again? He needs at least 4 or 5. At 6 quads like World, he is unstoppable, but can he do 6 quads with school or is he waiting for World?

France will be interesting to see what Nathan does next with school there.

heyheyhey

Final Flight

Well Nathan’s layout in Skate America had two less quads in the competition than either Yuzu or Shoma so that’s about ~20-25 points he leaves on the table there and he wasn’t clean in the SP either so we’ll have to see if he ups the layout at IDF (even though he doesn’t need to at all) but if he did the same number of quads, then it’s really anyone’s taking from the Top 3. That he’s still second highest with a laidback layout (for his standards) is actually kinda surprising (I thought Shoma would be more consistent with his jumps than he has been lately).

Personally it’s a three way tie in “ranking” and whoever has the cleanest skate that day between the three men wins. Too bad about Yuzu but hopefully he’s back & healthy for Worlds.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
1. Daisuke Takahashi- he could make the Worlds team, but the path will not be easy: at Japanese Nationals, he has to contend with Shoma, Kazuki and Sota.
2. Daniel Grassl- he could make a run for the increasingly interesting Euros title, or he could fall apart.

I agree with your whole post. Just a few words on these two points-
- Do we know then if Grassl is moving to seniors? And do we have any information on Javier's participation? It would be nice to see him one last time, and the Russia vs South Europe competition in men's would be really exciting.
- frankly, I think people are overestimating Sota's powers at this point. He doesn't have a quad back yet, and his 3A has never been too stable, so I believe that it's Keiji rather than him who is going to challenge Kazuki and Daisuke for the third spot and for 4CC. Just my opinion.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Lol. Maybe I should go AP College Football poll and do top 25. Loved everyone’s analysis!

Atlantis

Rinkside
Shoma will need to be clean to battle Nathan if he does at least 4 quads. Will Nathan do 4 or 5 or 6 quads again? He needs at least 4 or 5. At 6 quads like World, he is unstoppable, but can he do 6 quads with school or is he waiting for World?

France will be interesting to see what Nathan does next with school there.

More important question is if can he do 6 quads in 4 minutes. I must admit, I don't think it's very realistic.

Shanshani

On the Ice
More important question is if can he do 6 quads in 4 minutes. I must admit, I don't think it's very realistic.

Plus with the new quad repetition rule, he'd have to do every quad except 4A to do 6 quads, wouldn't he? Have we seen a 4Lo from him recently?

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Plus with the new quad repetition rule, he'd have to do every quad except 4A to do 6 quads, wouldn't he? Have we seen a 4Lo from him recently?

I don't remember him doing a 4Lo since last year. I don't see Nathan putting all of them in. I think it would make more sense for him to focus on doing 4 clean ones.

Shanshani

On the Ice
I don't remember him doing a 4Lo since last year. I don't see Nathan putting all of them in. I think it would make more sense for him to focus on doing 4 clean ones.

I agree, especially now that the penalties for messing up a jump are so harsh and the rewards for executing well are so generous. Yuzu scored 27 points off only a 4S and 4T at Rostelecom, which is about the same as 3 ugly/messy quads would score, but without, you know, having to jump an extra quad. 6 quad FS just doesn't really seem worth it, especially since most men seem to be struggling with stamina issues with the new FS time already. Granted, Nathan might need to go up to 5 to compete with the GOEs Yuzu and Shoma get or else he'll have to rely on them messing up (or getting injured, sigh) to place above them.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Do we know then if Grassl is moving to seniors?
He skates and won the Alpen Trophy between seniors and Italy need a second men for the Euros. Right now there's no other relevant competitor for that spot, now that Righini is a choreographer/coach and Zandron switched to Austria.

The question will then be if Rizzo or Grassl will be the one that go to the senior worlds, but with only one spot, and a serious PCS gap between them, Rizzo still seem the favorite, while Grassl may fight for the junior worlds podium and comeback next year along the seniors.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Lol. Maybe I should go AP College Football poll and do top 25. Loved everyone’s analysis!

I decided to go with top 24, since that's the ranking ISU uses for GP standings. So here they are. Please excuse typos.

My power rankings list updated.

1.) Yuzuru Hanyu - Hold w/reservation. This was the tale of two segments. Hanyu SMASHED the SP. But unfortunately an injury sustained in practice made for a tough FS. The injury puts a question on his competition status for GPF and Nationals, but it's clear at his best, he's still tops. I'm going to hold him here until we see hold Nathan does next week.
2.) Nathan Chen – Hold. We’ll see him at Internationaux de France.
3.) Shoma Uno – Hold. See him at GPF.
4.) Jun-Hwa Cha – (+1) – His GP placements are deceptive. His place in GPF is still uncertain, but honestly he had the unfortunate circumstance of being placed in deep and high-scoring events. He has been relatively consistent this season, medaling at at all his Challenger and GPF events and his scores are higher than Voronov and Brezina.
5.) Michel Brezina – (+1): Hindsight I should have moved him up after he beat Kolyada at Helsinki, so doing it now. Again showing relative consistency compared to other men in the field. See you at GPF!
6.) Sergei Voronov (-1): Only cause I should have moved Brezina a few weeks back. Next up, GPF!
7.) Morisi Kvitelashvili: NEW - He increased six places and 43+ points (!) from Skate America to get silver at Rostelecom Cup. He really showed that he can score the big numbers – he has the sixth highest score in the SP. The question is whether he can remain consistent (this has vibes of his breakout performance from Euros a few years ago).
8.) Alexander Samarin -He has a shot at the GPF at IdF
9.) Kazuki Tomono (NEW) – Bronze at Rostelecom Cup with +18 improvement in his overall score. He did beat Kolyada, but barely, so this is where I put him for now.
10.) Mikhail Kolyada (-3): He continues to under perform and his score of 225 is nearly 50 points off his season’s best from his very first competition of the season. I’m hoping we’ll see improvements at Russian Nationals. And he’ll have time now that GPF is out of the picture. The dip is so much lower cause he almost got bronze.
11. ) Keegan Messing (– 7)He did not have the performance he wanted here, sadly- he dropped 3 places and scored 45 points lower than SCI. Given the struggles of the field, he had an opportunity to shine, but it was not to be – he scored GPF looks to be out, so we will see him at Canadian Nationals.
12.) Nam Nguyen (-1): Namely due to everyone else moving up. Leaving him in my top 12 due to his strong overall score and skate at Skate Canada. Canadian Nationals is next.
--- additional rankings below.
13.) Jason Brown: After five GPs, his scores from SCI – SP aside – hold up fairly well. He ranks 9th among the men in average scores (and his scores are actually not that much lower than either Brezina or Voronov, who qualified for GPF—but his SCI placement, like Jun, was a product of a deeper field). All the changes in technique make him pretty uncertain still. We’ll see where he is at IdF.
14.) Matteo Rizzo— GP medal after the field struggles.
15.) Dmitri Aliev – Can he put his NHK struggles behind him at IdF? He is capable of scoring big, but his inconsistency really can kill him.
16.) Daniel Grassl- Like his countryman Rizzo, Grassl is doing double duty skating both in the JGP and in senior Challenger competitions. Grassl recently won the Inge Solar Memorial, landing both a 4Z and 4Lo. He has the potential to post big numbers (like he did in the short program) but it’s yet to be seen what his consistency is like.
17.) Roman Sandovsky – He medaled at his recent Challenger event, finishing second behind Grassl. He’s still hit-and-miss on the big elements but he’s really positioning himself for one of those Canadian world team spots.
18.) Kevin Aymoz – Another shot to wow us (and perhaps up his scores/placement) at IdF
18.) Boyang Jin – We’ll see if he’ll improve at IdF. I expect he will but this is the men and daring to make any clear predictions seems to be a big ask.
19.) Vincent Zhou – He gets another shot at the technical panel at Tallinn Trophy. His GP placements have not been bad (4th and 5th) but mainly cause the fields were not super deep, relatively speaking.
20.) Andrei Lauzkin – He had a very good free skate after a poor short program at Rostelecom Cup. He, at this point, has a good outside shot at making the Russian world team, but he needs to be more consistent.
21.) Nic Nadeau – He just finished off the podium at Finlandia, but his score is not bad. We’ll see where he is at IdF
22.) Daisuke Takahashi – He’s focused on simply competing nationally, but his finesse and polish along with progress on his technical elements make me feel comfortable putting on this poll.
23.) Daniel Samohin – He showed at Skate Canada SP that he can score and do well with a clean skate, but then had his trademark struggles in the free. He gets to show progress at IdF.
24.) Alexander Majorov – He has shown brilliance in the SP of both his GP events, even being in medal contention after his SP at Rostelecom Cup. He continues to struggle in his free skate.

Other skaters to watch for.
Deniss Vasiljevs - He underperformed greatly at NHK to the point where he isn't on the top 24 for now. He'll be at IdF and I expect improvement.
Paul Fentz – He surprised with a top 6 finish at Rostelecom Cup SP. He struggled in the SP, but he certainly has improved from last season.
Keiji Tanaka – He medaled at his Challenger event, but had a so-so performance at his GP event. We’ll see him at IdF.
Artur Dmitrev – He’s going for the 4A and 3Z-3F, but the novel combos isn’t quite paying off, at least not at Rostelecom Cup, where he placed 11th out of 12 skaters. But he medaled at Nebelhorn and is capable of doing well.
Brendan Kerry – Like so many of the men, he’s had flashes of brilliance, including a 80+ SP at SCI.
Julian Zhi Jie Yee – He is introducing an 4S, which he’s landed a few times and surprised everyone with a 3rd place SP at Skate America. But like many of the men, he’s not quite consistent and that’s kept him from high overall scores and placement ultimately.
Alexei Krasnozhon – He’s the reigning JGPF champion, but he’s dealt with injury recently. However he is making gradual progress and could be a bigger fact later this season or next season.
Sota Yamamoto – Like Alexei, Sota’s been on a long journey back from injury. He won the Asian Open Trophy and has shown signs of progress, though he’s not quite consistent on the big jumps yet.

Last edited:

century2009

On the Ice

He did compete with it, and it was ratified clean with +GOEs last year. He has practice it again this year, so we will see if he adds it.

When I saw 5 quads in a program, i didnt even think it was realistic. It wasnt even realistic for the Japanese Manga Yuri, and that is a cartoon.

I also didnt think 6 quads was also possible. That is just crazy and the amount of stamina and tech to do that as well as 2 other jumping pass. That is just unreal, but here we are.

He looks like the 4 min is ok wih him given Skate America, where in the 2nd half he only went faster and put his 2 big quad combo in the 2nd half no less. And they were done with high GOEs.

It seems like it is possible for him, but dont know about how he is managing school and skating.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I decided to go with top 24, since that's the ranking ISU uses for GP standings. So here they are. Please excuse typos.

My power rankings list updated.

1.) Yuzuru Hanyu - Hold w/reservation. This was the tale of two segments. Hanyu SMASHED the SP. But unfortunately an injury sustained in practice made for a tough FS. The injury puts a question on his competition status for GPF and Nationals, but it's clear at his best, he's still tops. I'm going to hold him here until we see hold Nathan does next week.
2.) Nathan Chen – Hold. We’ll see him at Internationaux de France.
3.) Shoma Uno – Hold. See him at GPF.
4.) Jun-Hwa Cha – (+1) – His GP placements are deceptive. His place in GPF is still uncertain, but honestly he had the unfortunate circumstance of being placed in deep and high-scoring events. He has been relatively consistent this season, medaling at at all his Challenger and GPF events and his scores are higher than Voronov and Brezina.
5.) Michel Brezina – (+1): Hindsight I should have moved him up after he beat Kolyada at Helsinki, so doing it now. Again showing relative consistency compared to other men in the field. See you at GPF!
6.) Sergei Voronov (-1): Only cause I should have moved Brezina a few weeks back. Next up, GPF!
7.) Morisi Kvitelashvili: NEW - He increased six places and 43+ points (!) from Skate America to get silver at Rostelecom Cup. He really showed that he can score the big numbers – he has the sixth highest score in the SP. The question is whether he can remain consistent (this has vibes of his breakout performance from Euros a few years ago).
8.) Alexander Samarin -He has a shot at the GPF at IdF
9.) Kazuki Tomono (NEW) – Bronze at Rostelecom Cup with +18 improvement in his overall score. He did beat Kolyada, but barely, so this is where I put him for now.
10.) Mikhail Kolyada (-3): He continues to under perform and his score of 225 is nearly 50 points off his season’s best from his very first competition of the season. I’m hoping we’ll see improvements at Russian Nationals. And he’ll have time now that GPF is out of the picture. The dip is so much lower cause he almost got bronze.
11. ) Keegan Messing (– 7)He did not have the performance he wanted here, sadly- he dropped 3 places and scored 45 points lower than SCI. Given the struggles of the field, he had an opportunity to shine, but it was not to be – he scored GPF looks to be out, so we will see him at Canadian Nationals.
12.) Nam Nguyen (-1): Namely due to everyone else moving up. Leaving him in my top 12 due to his strong overall score and skate at Skate Canada. Canadian Nationals is next.
--- additional rankings below.
13.) Jason Brown: After five GPs, his scores from SCI – SP aside – hold up fairly well. He ranks 9th among the men in average scores (and his scores are actually not that much lower than either Brezina or Voronov, who qualified for GPF—but his SCI placement, like Jun, was a product of a deeper field). All the changes in technique make him pretty uncertain still. We’ll see where he is at IdF.
14.) Matteo Rizzo— GP medal after the field struggles.
15.) Dmitri Aliev – Can he put his NHK struggles behind him at IdF? He is capable of scoring big, but his inconsistency really can kill him.
16.) Daniel Grassl- Like his countryman Rizzo, Grassl is doing double duty skating both in the JGP and in senior Challenger competitions. Grassl recently won the Inge Solar Memorial, landing both a 4Z and 4Lo. He has the potential to post big numbers (like he did in the short program) but it’s yet to be seen what his consistency is like.
17.) Roman Sandovsky – He medaled at his recent Challenger event, finishing second behind Grassl. He’s still hit-and-miss on the big elements but he’s really positioning himself for one of those Canadian world team spots.
18.) Kevin Aymoz – Another shot to wow us (and perhaps up his scores/placement) at IdF
18.) Boyang Jin – We’ll see if he’ll improve at IdF. I expect he will but this is the men and daring to make any clear predictions seems to be a big ask.
19.) Vincent Zhou – He gets another shot at the technical panel at Tallinn Trophy. His GP placements have not been bad (4th and 5th) but mainly cause the fields were not super deep, relatively speaking.
20.) Andrei Lauzkin – He had a very good free skate after a poor short program at Rostelecom Cup. He, at this point, has a good outside shot at making the Russian world team, but he needs to be more consistent.
21.) Nic Nadeau – He just finished off the podium at Finlandia, but his score is not bad. We’ll see where he is at IdF
22.) Daisuke Takahashi – He’s focused on simply competing nationally, but his finesse and polish along with progress on his technical elements make me feel comfortable putting on this poll.
23.) Daniel Samohin – He showed at Skate Canada SP that he can score and do well with a clean skate, but then had his trademark struggles in the free. He gets to show progress at IdF.
24.) Alexander Majorov – He has shown brilliance in the SP of both his GP events, even being in medal contention after his SP at Rostelecom Cup. He continues to struggle in his free skate.

Other skaters to watch for.
Paul Fentz – He surprised with a top 6 finish at Rostelecom Cup SP. He struggled in the SP, but he certainly has improved from last season.
Keiji Tanaka – He medaled at his Challenger event, but had a so-so performance at his GP event. We’ll see him at IdF.
Artur Dmitrev – He’s going for the 4A and 3Z-3F, but the novel combos isn’t quite paying off, at least not at Rostelecom Cup, where he placed 11th out of 12 skaters. But he medaled at Nebelhorn and is capable of doing well.
Brendan Kerry – Like so many of the men, he’s had flashes of brilliance, including a 80+ SP at SCI.
Julian Zhi Jie Yee – He is introducing an 4S, which he’s landed a few times and surprised everyone with a 3rd place SP at Skate America. But like many of the men, he’s not quite consistent and that’s kept him from high overall scores and placement ultimately.
Alexei Krasnozhon – He’s the reigning JGPF champion, but he’s dealt with injury recently. However he is making gradual progress and could be a bigger fact later this season or next season.
Sota Yamamoto – Like Alexei, Sota’s been on a long journey back from injury. He won the Asian Open Trophy and has shown signs of progress, though he’s not quite consistent on the big jumps yet.

Where is Deniss Vasiljevs?

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I really appreciate everyone posting their lists and going the extra mile to update their opinions! I think it will be really interesting at the end of the season to compare your initial rankings with your final thoughts after Worlds :popcorn:

Atlantis

Rinkside
He did compete with it, and it was ratified clean with +GOEs last year. He has practice it again this year, so we will see if he adds it.

When I saw 5 quads in a program, i didnt even think it was realistic. It wasnt even realistic for the Japanese Manga Yuri, and that is a cartoon.

I also didnt think 6 quads was also possible. That is just crazy and the amount of stamina and tech to do that as well as 2 other jumping pass. That is just unreal, but here we are.

He looks like the 4 min is ok wih him given Skate America, where in the 2nd half he only went faster and put his 2 big quad combo in the 2nd half no less. And they were done with high GOEs.

It seems like it is possible for him, but dont know about how he is managing school and skating.

I disagree. 6 quads in 4 minutes is not comparable to anything he has ever done before as there is simply no time to catch your breath. But the only way to know for sure is to wait and see.

century2009

On the Ice
I disagree. 6 quads in 4 minutes is not comparable to anything he ever did before as there is simply no time to catch your breath. But the only way to know for sure is to wait and see.

I didnt think 5 quads was possible let alone 6 quads which is crazy.

He already did 6 quads + 2 jumping passes in 4mins 30 sec. Now, it would be 6 quads + 1 jumping passes in 4 min.

So dont see it so far off, if he can already do 6 quads.

The question is if he is training for it with school in the mix as well as he would need his 4loop back.

I dont see him doing it anytime soon (he really doesnt need it now anyway) as he is just getting started with the adjustment of the rules. Maybe for World 2019 if he trained for it.

shine

Record Breaker

That's a scary thought. I checked him out from Golden Bear after hearing about this 16 year old who does multiple types of quads, but besides the BV he's able to attain, the rest of his skating is very...lacking even for the international junior level.