Upper body rotating before bottom | Golden Skate

Upper body rotating before bottom

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
Any tips on how to stop rotating the upper body before your jump? Im concious of it but it's hard to stop lol

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yeah, not good to do that. I used to have that problem and still see it a lot when skaters are learning the axel jump.

What got me to straighten out was to not think so much about rotation but instead to think "UP" when taking off for a jump. You have to go UP first. With proper coaching you'll get your arms and legs to get where they need to be when in the jump, and you will get your rotation.

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
Thanks for the tip! I have a lot of air time on my jumps and I feel like I'm over thinking or something... I always think of the rotation. (I do doubles)
This twisting thing started as an adult not when I was a child and it seems to be just my head.
Thankfully, no issue with this on the axel.
I'll try to think up and not around. [emoji4]

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Try to focus on rotating through the hips, not the shoulder. Practicing backspins can't hurt either.

vlaurend

Final Flight
My coach used to tell me, "Zipper!" In other words, keep your left arm in front of that zipper that runs down your jacket in the middle of your chest. The same coach also told me to visulize my body as a corscrew that rotates from the bottom up. It all starts at the foot, then goes up to the hip, with the shoulders and head catching up last.

Something else that helped was to pull my arms in over the right side, with the right fist punching into the palm of the left hand just under my right breast. When you know that's how you're going to pull in, it trains you to keep the right arm back and left arm in front as you're taking off.