What Would You Put Into A Time Capsule To Represent 2018? | Golden Skate

What Would You Put Into A Time Capsule To Represent 2018?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
On 16[SUP]th[/SUP] October 2018, the BBC children’s programme “Blue Peter” celebrated it’s 60[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday.

As part of the build-up to the occasion, earlier in the year it was announced that they would be filling a time capsule, and were looking suggestions as to what should be put into it to represent 2018.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/joinin/bp-diamond-time-capsule-ideas

Frankly, I couldn’t think of anything that specifically represented 2018.

In the past, there would have been no bother picking things to put into a time capsule.

When Blue Peter first buried a time capsule at the front of Television Centre back in 1971, as well as stuff to do with the programme, it contained a full set of the new decimal coins that came into use in that year.

This time capsule was supposed to be buried until 2000, but it had to be moved in 1984 because Television Centre was getting extended. So, the opportunity was taken to re-bury it in the Blue Peter Garden along with a second time capsule, which contained stuff to do with the programme in 1984.

The last time that Blue Peter filled a time capsule was for the one that was buried at the Millennium Dome in 1998 (a few months before the 40[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary). It contained a set of Teletubbies dolls; a Tamagotchi; a Spice Girls CD; a France 1998 World Cup football; a picture of Princess Diana; a Roald Dahl book; and things to do with the programme.

All the things that went into these time capsules were easily representative of their time. But nowadays, so many parts of our lives lie online. They are digital rather than physical and, hence, cannot go into a box!

In the end, this is what actually went into the new time capsule:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/findoutmore/bp-what-is-in-the-diamond-time-capsule

Personally, I was not impressed. But, as I said, it is so hard to think of anything that represents life in 2018 that could be shoved in a box and buried for 20 years.

So, using this as inspiration, I thought it would be a fun idea for a thread to ask what you would put into a time capsule to represent 2018.

Since this is a figure skating forum, it might be fun to include things that represent something that happened in the sport this year. For example, somebody’s costume.

But, as always on Golden Skate, please nothing to do with politics.

Let the fun begin!!! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Spinning

On the Ice
50p Brexit coin. Not political sorry if it brings some bad taste to some but I like the design. Shiny new coins. Good or bad it is our historical landmark.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
50p Brexit coin. Not political sorry if it brings some bad taste to some but I like the design. Shiny new coins. Good or bad it is our historical landmark.

That's a tough one. Because, although that particular coin was announced last week, it won't be released until next year. So, you couldn't put it in the box now.

But, I do agree that coins are a good idea. They have a date on them, after all, so they would be perfect for representing the year.

Perhaps the full set of 2018 coins could be put in, like Blue Peter did in 1971.

Or the full set of Beatrix Potter 50p coins. I know, their release has been spread out over a few years. But, that some of them were from 2018 should be enough to get them all in! Plus, the stories about Peter Rabbit and his friends will always be popular, and so people down the line will relate to them. :agree: :biggrin:

Thank you for the first suggestion! :thank:

CaroLiza_fan

Spinning

On the Ice
Since the value of Peter Rabbit coins have been hiking up exponentially over the years. You might end up billionaire CaroLiza. Good one!

On the related note: a Charls Darwin's Tenner? Do you still have one??? I know the devalued notes have no real significant event of the year. But for those who collect old coins and bank notes, it was a big deal.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Since the value of Peter Rabbit coins have been hiking up exponentially over the years. You might end up billionaire CaroLiza. Good one!

On the related note: a Charls Darwin's Tenner? Do you still have one??? I know the devalued notes have no real significant event of the year. But for those who collect old coins and bank notes, it was a big deal.

Sorry, you have misunderstood. This is only a theoretical discussion. I really wish I had the full set of Peter Rabbit coins, but I only have about 5 of them.

That said, I do have a decent collection of the different designs of the 50p coins and £2 coins.

As for notes, we don't get the Bank Of England notes much over here, because all the local banks in NI print their own notes (see this Wikipedia page), just like they do in Scotland. And since the English get confused by them, they tend to stay here and so make up the bulk of the money in circulation here. So, it is hard to keep track of the designs of the BoE notes and how they swap about. And anyway, I'm more interested in collecting old foreign notes.

That said, I do have a full set of the old Northern Bank notes that were withdrawn after the robbery in 2004. (All they did to change them was to swap the colours around, and update the bank's logo).

Collecting money is fun. You get to learn so much about other countries from the designs. That's why I thought it was such a shame when the Euro came in and replaced so many currencies. :disapp:

Oops. There's us verging on politics again! :p

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wigs normally make me think of Elton John. He and his piano are currently starring in the Christmas advert for a British department store, and for the past few weeks there has been all this hype building up to the advert's premiere.

ITV even changed the theme tunes of it's flagship programmes to piano versions for the 2 days before the premiere. (e.g. Emmerdale, Coronation Street) :drama:

The thing is, the department store in question does not operate in Northern Ireland. So, we had weeks of listening to all the hype, and then it turns out that our ITV franchise (Ulster TV) doesn't even show it! :laugh:

Anyway, due to all this hype, there is no doubt that Elton John's piano represents 2018. So, I would gladly shove it in the time capsule so that we don't have to hear any more about it! :devil:

A traditional Finnish forest rake.

The unique thing about 2018 for figure skating fans is that we had a new Senior Grand Prix. And it was in Finland.

Having never been to a figure skating competition, I don't know if they have programmes. But, if the Senior GP's do, then I would put a programme from GP Helsinki into the time capsule. And if they don't, I would print out the Event Protocol and put it in instead! :cool:

Thank you both for giving me the inspiration for these ideas. :thank:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited by a moderator:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Video of Dennis Ten's best skate along with the celebration of his life despite his tragic end.. he was an exceptional person, so representative of the sport we all love, an inspiration.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Pictures of all the junior and senior figure skaters active in 2018 (or would have been active if not murdered :cry:), with their program layouts!