Interesting Japanese cultural institution | Golden Skate

Interesting Japanese cultural institution

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
During the Dance medals ceremony at NHK I was pleasantly surprised to see Japanese Scouts and looked them up on Wiki. They have been around for about 100 years in some form and went co-ed in 1995! Good for them! 100,000 members.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_Association_of_Japan
Scout Law
A Scout is faithful. (スカウトは誠実である。)
A Scout is friendly. (スカウトは友情にあつい。)
A Scout is courteous. (スカウトは礼儀正しい。)
A Scout is kind. (スカウトは親切である。)
A Scout is cheerful. (スカウトは快活である。)
A Scout is thrifty. (スカウトは質素である。)
A Scout is courageous. (スカウトは勇敢である。)
A Scout is thankful. (スカウトは感謝の心をもつ。)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Scouts Australia was co-ed from 1971.

I was a Scout. Did my time from the time I was 15 until I was 17 - we didn't have a Rover Unit and our Venturer Unit was falling apart anyway. I learned a lot about the world and myself as a Scout and can still pull off a mean square lashing.

There's Girl Guides, of course, but I never wanted to be one of theirs. I was the only girl in my troop for quite a while and it really taught me to back myself in a fight and stand my own against the boys. There were about six of us who went from Joeys all the way through to Venturers, so by that point we were a pretty fast pack and looked out for one another. One of them was my first boyfriend.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Scouts Australia was co-ed from 1971.

I was a Scout. Did my time from the time I was 15 until I was 17 - we didn't have a Rover Unit and our Venturer Unit was falling apart anyway. I learned a lot about the world and myself as a Scout and can still pull off a mean square lashing.

There's Girl Guides, of course, but I never wanted to be one of theirs. I was the only girl in my troop for quite a while and it really taught me to back myself in a fight and stand my own against the boys. There were about six of us who went from Joeys all the way through to Venturers, so by that point we were a pretty fast pack and looked out for one another. One of them was my first boyfriend.

Hurrah for Australia for going co-ed! Boys need to learn that girls are people too and visa versa and also how to treat each other as human beings, with respect. I have lots of good things to say about scouting and what it can teach people about others and themselves and I find it interesting that the Tuskegee Airmen I listen to who give lectures always are supportive of scouting, and visa versa. https://capecodtoday.com/article/20...nor-Tuskegee-Airman-Lt-Col-Enoch-Woodhouse-II