Maribel Vinson Owen and Laurence Owen | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Maribel Vinson Owen and Laurence Owen

Sam_Boni

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Maribel Vinson Owen vs. Sonja Henie - The Fierce Rivalry (Part 2)

(For more info on Sonja Henie, see here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonja_Henie)

In December of 1937, as Maribel Vinson’s triumphant professional ice review Gay Blades was wowing skating fans around the USA and Canada, she observed that her longtime rival Sonja Henie, who had her own touring ice review in place, had a style that was “’too stiff and formalized.’” Maribel’s school “favors a looser-jointed style.”

This was the opposite to her father Thomas Vinson’s style, when he skated as a young man in Massachusetts, who “used to go in for the stiff kind of skating...The arms were held straight down, the legs were close together. Maribel referred to it as the ‘old American style.’ “She prefers the newer technique. ‘Easy does it,’ she says.”

“The smooth and easy kind of skating is considered an Austrian invention, among such Austrian skaters as Karl Schaefer, who co-stars with Maribel in the show. But she insists it’s the ‘International Style.’”

“’It was an American skater, Jackson Haines, who originated this style...around 1870. “ Not appreciated in America at that time, he relocated to Europe, “'where he created a sensation...A whole bevy of imitators sprang up in Vienna and Berlin, and they kept on developing this style. Then it was taken up here around 1910,’ she adds." (Windsor [Canada] Daily Star, 12/22/37).

It didn’t take Sonja Henie too long to fire back at Maribel. “'What is lilt and swing?’ asked Norway’s gift to Hollywood. ‘Miss Vinson was one of my competitors at the last Olympics. She placed eighth.’” But Maribel had actually placed fifth in the 1936 Olympics competition at Garmisch-Partenkirchen in Germany.

Mrs. Norman Samuel, of Toronto, who placed fourth in the ‘32 Olympic Games at Lake Placid, and was forced out of ‘36 Olympic competition by bronchitis, opined that “’...Sonja’s skating certainly has lilt and swing. Otherwise she wouldn’t have won as she did. Figure skating demands rhythm and she has it.’” (Toronto Daily Star, January 6, 1938).

Next: The Fierce Rivalry Continues: Part 3)

Sam_Boni

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Further MVO postings temporarily delayed by family matters. Will resume presently. Thank you.

Sam_Boni

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Thank you for your feedback. I hope to start posting about MVO by this coming weekend.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I was a young skater when that plane crashed. Seeing those lurid photos of the wrecked plane in the papers disturbed me for years. I had friends and a coach on that plane. God, it was awful.

Yes, terrible tragedy. Canada was spared losing Donald Jackson as he was going to accompany these skaters on this flight, but due to a cold he decided to wait. Unreal

Sam_Boni

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Unfortunately my urgent family matters have continued to the point where I won't be able to post
any more MVO material until sometime in March.

My apologies, and Thanks for following this thread!